Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Use of the religion line
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

zaq

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 6:12 am
Not to hijack this thread, but—Precision in language is important. The commandment is not “Thou shalt not kill””— clearly that’s incorrect, when there are commandments to execute those convicted of certain capital crimes and eradicate certain nations, commandments to go to war, and a nod to killing in self-defense, either personal or national.

The commandment is “Thou shalt not MURDER,” which is another thing entirely.

And that’s only one reason why the chachamim did not want the Torah translated into foreign languages. Look at all the trouble we’ve suffered at the hands of those who mistranslated “almah” as “virgin.” Would that man from Nazareth have been worshipped as a god absent that misinterpretation of Isaiah’s prophecy? Probably not. That mistranslation is what started and still perpetuates the myth of his divinity. Without that little nugget of linguistic hanky-pansy, he would have been just another flash in the pan like all the other false messiahs who arose in the past two millennia.

This message has been brought to you by “Citizens for Linguistic Precision.” And now back to our regular programming.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 6:58 am
small bean wrote:
Tell me one rabbi that will tell you it is okay to kill someone today being amelek or otherwise.

This is not something that we do.

I'm not more moral than hashem. I think you are being silly with this line. I don't think this is a reasonable discussion.

Of course it's not for today. But not because we have morally evolved so we would never engage in this mitzvah.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 7:00 am
small bean wrote:
If you go back in history the world was full of war.

Today in 2018 we all believe you can not kill. It is one of the 10 commandments.

To say that killing is not universally wrong is inaccurate in 2019.

This whole discussion is exactly the point of this thread. To bring in amalek as a proof that we do believe in killing is silly because in 2019 we dont kill amalek.

Thank you for making my point for me clear.

It's do not murder. For no reason. Killing, for self-defense, is muttar and a mitzvah.
The mitzvah to kill Amalek doesn't apply now.

ETA: I see my last 2 posts were already addressed by other posters. I'm going to let them stand.

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 11:08 am
small bean wrote:
I mean like a universal baseline. For example it is immoral to steal.

And wear Healys? I can't understand what point you are trying to make here

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 11:09 am
small bean wrote:
If you go back in history the world was full of war.

Today in 2018 we all believe you can not kill. It is one of the 10 commandments.

To say that killing is not universally wrong is inaccurate in 2019.

Are you truly trying to argue that the world is not full of war in 2019? Banging head

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 11:11 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
The reason that religion is invoked in discussions about various topics is because our whole lives are seen through the prism of Yiddishkeit, as they should be. There is no universal belief system.

THANK YOU! Please join us in the post-modernist age!!! Hi
Small bean I agree with you that it is annoying when people use the religious argument to beat down the opinions or perspectives of others, but your logic is really not very well thought out I must say

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 2:17 pm
small bean wrote:
But I think we all agree on that. That is not a religious truth. It is universal.

I don't think that Isis and I are on the same page in regards to killing.

zaq

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 3:23 pm
urban gypsy wrote:
And wear Healys? I can't understand what point you are trying to make here

I think she means wear high heels?

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 3:24 pm
zaq wrote:
I think she means wear high heels?

I think we established upthread she meant Healy's?
My point stands either way as opposition to neither heels nor Healy's represents a "universal baseline"

southernbubby

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 4:01 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
I don't think that Isis and I are on the same page in regards to killing.

If one member of ISIS killed another member for the purpose of killing for sport, I doubt it would fly.

small bean

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 8:14 pm
urban gypsy wrote:
I think we established upthread she meant Healy's?
My point stands either way as opposition to neither heels nor Healy's represents a "universal baseline"

Exactly. It is not a universal baseline so my argument wouldn't be about anything that connects to a universal baseline here. It is an opinion, there is no way to attack someone for wearing them.

small bean

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 8:15 pm
You guys did a great job missing the point and explaining my position

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 8:18 pm
small bean wrote:
Exactly. It is not a universal baseline so my argument wouldn't be about anything that connects to a universal baseline here. It is an opinion, there is no way to attack someone for wearing them.

Huh? How about "how dare you allow your child to wear healys - they set an an unafordable standard for the neighborhood"

Wouldn't that be an attack?
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics