Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
S/O teachers embarrassing students and crowd control

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 11:44 pm
So, bH I don’t think I’ve ever said anything remotely similar to the examples that were raised in the other thread.

However, part of my job requires getting quiet from large crowds of teenagers (ie addressing a high school assembly or making announcements in a lunchroom). I am pretty effective at getting and holding their attention but I realized that sometimes, something I might do can be embarrassing for the girl who is talking. For example, if I’m speaking and I notice a girl whispering to her neighbor, I might just pause, and look at the girl (and she notices I’m looking at her and waiting and she stops talking). I don’t say a word but what actually likely motivates her to stop talking is embarrassment or worry that other girls will look at her and notice...

Any ideas of effective ways to get the behavior I need (quiet and attention) that would not call attention to the girl disrupting (and thereby possibly cause her embarrassment)?

DrMom

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 12:05 am
If the girl knows you are trying to establish silence so you can make some announcement and she is talking anyway, I don't think staring at her to make her stop is so awful that you have to expend energy searching for alternative methods.

It's not like you are calling out her name in front of the whole school. "Sarah Schwartz! Please stop whispering!"

zaq

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 5:56 am
IMHO, a student who continues chatting while a person in authority is signaling for silence DESERVES to be embarrassed. Glaring pointedly at her is precisely what is needed. If she’s a “shor muad “ (habitual offender) then calling out her name is equally appropriate. No need to get sarcastic and hurl invective at her, but she IS dissing you. Publicly. Why does her self-respect trump the respect you are owed as an older person and an educator? Answer: it doesn’t.

OK all you bleeding hearts, do your worst.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 6:16 am
If a kid is talking while everyone else is quiet, they’re embarrassing themselves.
That being said, I only verbally call out students who everyone is staring at for talking anyway. Otherwise I just end up next to them in my wandering around the room.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics