Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
ADD showing up in teen yrs

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 12:27 pm
Has anyone had this with their child. My son started showing ADD symptoms as a preteen. Doesnt focus well in class. fidgits all the time. Impulsively bothers siblings. And is emotionally explosive with us. I know some of this is reg preteen/teen behavior. He wasnt likethis before , can it be newly developed ADD during these biological changes? (He doesn't want to see a therapist) and is it something he'd outgrow if it's due to body changing or is this something that will stay with him?

STMommy

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 1:49 pm
It can be newly developed ADHD-like symptoms, but the diagnostic criteria for ADHD no matter the type, is emergence of multiple (through not necessarily all) symptoms prior to age 12.
Are you sure this just started or has it worsened? Have you checked him medically to rule out things that could make a child agitated (I.e., newly developed food sensitivities/allergies)? Have hormones been checked?

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 1:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Has anyone had this with their child. My son started showing ADD symptoms as a preteen. Doesnt focus well in class. fidgits all the time. Impulsively bothers siblings. And is emotionally explosive with us. I know some of this is reg preteen/teen behavior. He wasnt likethis before , can it be newly developed ADD during these biological changes? (He doesn't want to see a therapist) and is it something he'd outgrow if it's due to body changing or is this something that will stay with him?

I have a nephew who is like this, and he was diagnosed with a mental health condition (not ADD).

It definitely is worthwhile to check this out OP.

It might just be regular teen stuff. Or it might not.

Hug

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 3:19 pm
You should check for lyme and confections, pans/pandas, gluten sensitivity

oneofakind

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 3:41 pm
Very possibly anxiety. Something is bothering him and he needs to see someone.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 4:03 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
I have a nephew who is like this, and he was diagnosed with a mental health condition (not ADD).

It definitely is worthwhile to check this out OP.

It might just be regular teen stuff. Or it might not.

Hug

curious was it also anxiety like the other poster?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 4:04 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
You should check for lyme and confections, pans/pandas, gluten sensitivity

Thank you. good idea. (did you mean infections?)

oneofakind

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 4:33 pm
Have you taken him out alone to a nice place and said," I've noticed you don't seem so happy these days, like something is on your mind. I'd like to hear so maybe I can help. " and see what happens. Even if he denies it, offer that you are always available.
When you hear hoofbeats, think horse, not zebra.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 5:26 pm
oneofakind wrote:
Have you taken him out alone to a nice place and said," I've noticed you don't seem so happy these days, like something is on your mind. I'd like to hear so maybe I can help. " and see what happens. Even if he denies it, offer that you are always available.
When you hear hoofbeats, think horse, not zebra.

yes, tried that. will try again.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 8:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you. good idea. (did you mean infections?)

I meant there are certain co infections that can often be present with lyme or gotten around the same time. Like bartonella, mycoplasma, rocky mountain spotted fever

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 11:11 pm
OP, a direct answer from my pediatrician is that less than 1/2 of 1% are diagnosed as teenagers and those diagnosis’s don’t stick. Research bipolar in adolescence. Not saying there aren’t other considerations.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children