Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
ABA therapy and an autistic diagnosis

mevvv

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 7:05 am
My son is 4 years old and is acting out in school. He isn't doing it too be bad, he is just impulsive. We are all thinking it's a sensory issue. The school wants an ABA trained shadow to sit with him. 2 questions: does anyone have experience with Lakewood agencies that work with ABA and maybe OT to adress the sensory issues, and I am being told he needs to be diagnosed as autistic (which he definitely is not and can't pass as having any signs) so how does that work?

imasinger

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 7:07 am
Call BrainBuilders.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 7:39 am
You cannot get ABA therapy without a diagnosis of autism. Is recommending ABA the schools way of saying that they think something is wrong or just recommending it because it's the only way to access help for many children? Also, coverage for ABA therapy will depend on your insurance. Most agencies bill as out of network.
As far as your son not being able to pass for being on the spectrum, the diagnostic criteria were changed a little while ago and its much easier to fit them. There are many children walking around with the diagnosis who don't truly seem autistic. Some because it's subtle but they fit the criteria and some because it is the only way to access the help they desperately need.
You can look into getting a board of Ed eval through ontrack and they may be able to recommend a shadow. Then finding one isn't always easy and often you need to supplement hours/pay cuz they don't cover enough.
I've had good experience with the sensory outlet for ot for a sensory dysregulated child. Keep in mind that depending on your insurance finding someone in network may be limiting.
Does your child need ABA therapy or just a shadow in class??
Some things to think about to get clarity- 1. What type of help does your child truly need? 2. How do you access it?
Hatzlocha! All should settle down iyh!!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 7:46 am
I am in the exact situation as you now. The way to go is to get an autism diagnosis.
Autism is a huge spectrum. Even though he has good eye contact he can still qualify as having autism. I said the same thing about my son that's 5 years old.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 9:11 am
Your son is FOUR, and they want him to get a shadow? He's a baby, for pete's sake, he's in preschool!

IMHO, there is way too much pressure for kids, and especially boys, to "sit still and pay attention." Let them be little kids for a while longer.

Can anyone show me a healthy, happy 4 year old who DOESN'T have impulsive moments?

mevvv

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 10:08 pm
I spoke to several agencies (I can't go through the board of ed because he is too young). I basically am at a standstill because I need the autistic diagnosis but he has no signs, any advice? Yes: it is ridiculous that a child can't be a child but this is the way it is and he has plenty downtime at home. I am not opposed to having a shadow with him for preschool. Do I think its necessary, no but he cant lose from it and its not worth fighting.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 11:05 pm
The only option I know of, aside for paying out of pocket, is getting an eval through the board of Ed for preschool and if he qualifies for a special Ed class sending to stars or linden. I don't know if that is a route you are looking to take or if stars has space at this time of year. Linden is obligated to find space always.

oneofakind

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 11:05 pm
Actually, he can lose out if be ends up interacting with the shadow and not classmates. Does the teacher know what she is doing?

seeker

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 2:02 am
It's REALLY hard to make heads or tails from the limited details we have here. I feel like there's a lot missing here - normal schools I know usually wouldn't recommend a shadow for a kid who's just sensory and "acting out" unless it's severe, in which case you want a lot more investigation than "let's have a shadow sit with him." Sit? How is that going to help? So my instinct is that something is either wrong or missing in this picture. I don't know Lakewood or NJ at all but where I come from nobody just straight out gets a shadow. They first get evaluated and recommended for various interventions to actually address their issues, a shadow might be recommended if there is a dangerously severe level of behavior and there is no more appropriate educational setting.

As for "being diagnosed as autistic but is definitely not:"
1. You'd be surprised. A lot of things fall under the autism umbrella now. We used to have separate classifications for things like PDD that are now just "on the spectrum."
2. Nobody (with any scruples) is going to conjure a diagnosis out of thin air, but often if a child does have enough characteristics to be borderline, they'll err on the side of diagnosis so the kid can get therapy. So diagnosis doesn't mean as much as it used to. It's a lot harder to be the kid who has the issues but NOT the diagnosis and then doesn't get any help. Also very expensive to be the parent of that kid.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Mon, Mar 21 2022, 9:45 pm
I need to get an ABA diagnosis for my 5 year old so that he can qualify for therapy.
Who can I go to that will diagnose for "cheap"?
I'm in the Lakewood area but willing to travel.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Mon, Mar 21 2022, 10:10 pm
amother [ Tiffanyblue ] wrote:
I need to get an ABA diagnosis for my 5 year old so that he can qualify for therapy.
Who can I go to that will diagnose for "cheap"?
I'm in the Lakewood area but willing to travel.

Call up yeled they will gladly give you someone to go to lol

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Mon, Mar 21 2022, 10:20 pm
amother [ Mintgreen ] wrote:

Yelled Vyalda? Do they operate in New Jersey?

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Mon, Mar 21 2022, 10:21 pm
amother [ Mintgreen ] wrote:

Yelled Vyalda? Do they operate in New Jersey?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers