Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Calling all Landlords
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 10:02 am
For those of you owning a rental apt, how do you work it with tenants who don't pay rent on time? Do you start nudging shortly after the 1st of the month? Do you give them time to pay? We have a rental apt, and rely on the money to pay our mortgage. I somehow feel bad to ask for the rent from the tenants who don't pay on the first. DH will start nudging on the second already if it wasn't received. He also is someone who always paid his rent on time when we were renting , sometimes even on the 30 or 31 of the previous month, He expects the same from his tenants.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 10:09 am
In our contact it clearly says if the rent is 10 days late there is a $300 fine. We also rely on our rental income to pay our mortgage but we have till the 15th to pay. In the 6 years of having a rental our tenant never went past the 10th but paid on the 10th many times and yes I agree its irritating...

Chayalle

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 10:11 am
I have been very lucky. I have wonderful tenants and have never had an issue B"H.

(I always look into my tenants before renting to them. I have left my apartment empty for a month or two rather than rent to a tenant I did not feel I could trust.)

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 10:30 am
BH my tenants have always paid on time (by the 5th) but I bh don't rely on the money for my mortgage. I was extremely picky with whom I took as tenants and left my apt empty rather than take someone that didn't sit well with me.

Also I wouldn't feel comfortable with relying on their money for my mortgage, since if they are late or can't pay I am the one who loses out. I would always have money set aside just in case. Personally I think it's irresponsible to buy a house but rely on rental income for mortgage payments.

rivkam

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 10:35 am
Could you in the future take checks in advance? In israel, the norm is to give checks for the next year so you just cash it in each month on the date it states on the check

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 10:36 am
We obviously did not know that not paying on the 1st would happen. We also do extensive research on our tenants and sometimes some information is unreliable. Regarding relying on the money, we can scrape through but it's definitely easier when the rent is paid on time. I'm just wondering if as a landlord I'm being nuts if on the 2nd they already get a phone call from me to pay rent. We b''h never either had to wait too long. Don't think we ever got rent past the 5th. But DH being the very on time person he is, expects it on the 1st.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 10:51 am
I think the 5th is standard. Calling on the 1st May be overkill.
Does the contract give a date?

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 10:56 am
I’m a renter and it clearly states I have till the fifth to pay as on time. I would be super annoyed if my landlord called me by the second no matter what my lease said because really it’s not late sometimes like this month if someone gets paid on a Monday for the week before they are waiting for that money to maybe pay the rent which would be today receiving the check and tomorrow paying rent. You can explain to your tenant that you need this money for the mortgage so if he wouldn’t mind paying the first.
I also worked for a real estate guy and legally there’s nothing to do legally until they are late 2 months.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 10:58 am
I wouldn't call them until 1/2 the time has passed by which they are supposed to pay.

So if your lease says the 10th, I wouldn't call before the 5th.

(mine says the 7th...but I've never had to call.)

I would also send a text reminder, rather than a phone call.

As a landlord, I try not to be in my tenants' face too much....I give them space.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 11:24 am
I would not remind a tenant until about half way through whatever the time period is and then it would be just a text reminding that the rent is due on x and after that there is a penalty. I don't see a problem in a reminder because I get those kinds of reminders from the bank also and I think they are helpful reminders and not noodjes.

Like others I would be concerned if my ability to pay my own mortgage was based completely on a tenant paying each month on time. I would think it necessary to have enough in one's savings to cover that or any kind of emergency. How do you handle other emergency payments - e.g. auto repairs; home maintenance repairs; medical etc. if you have so little in reserve that failure to pay one month's rent on time would mean you couldn't pay your own mortgage on time?

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 3:50 am
Very very normal for many honeowners that rent part of their house to rely on it for mortgage. Maybe risky and irresponsible but tons of people I know do it.
My landlord is special he waits much longer BH.

baby12x

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 4:03 am
Do you think they have the money and just aren't remembering to actually give it to you?

Do they have to drop it off?

1. Tell them you will pick up the money from them so they don't have to come to you- then make up a time
2. Have them write postdated checks

If its an issue of not having the money.... I don't know

Unless, they always have the money just a few days late then they need to work out a better payment plan. For example, my landlord wanted us to pay him on the first. But I get my paycheck on the 6th. So we arranged it that he gets paid on the 15th- which works for him because its mid month. I don't remember what we did the first month. That way, I always have the money in my account even if there are delays due to holidays etc and he knows exactly when he's getting paid

Maybe you can work something out?

Mayflower

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 5:37 am
Years ago when we were renting, we once missed a payment because of a mistake by the bank. I didn't realize the payment didn't go through.

Four months later, my landlord calls me to tell me I didn't pay rent 4 months earlier. I was like, what?? She was right, and we paid straight away, but I really think she should have said something a bit earlier.

The 2nd of the month seems a bit too soon though.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 6:36 am
It depends what the contract says. If the contract says they need to pay by the 1st there is nothing wrong with calling on the 2nd. I was a landlord and would also get nervous if my tennant was late. I wouldn't call on the day it's due but the next day I don't see why not.

watergirl

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 6:45 am
I rented for almost 20 years and lived in many MANY different rentals. I have NEVER had a lease that required the rent on the 1st. Always able to pay by the 5th. Depending on when payday fall out that month, sometimes I had to pay late and pay a small late fee. At my job, I get paid every other Thursday. Not on the first and 15th. A little flexibility is really needed. OP, when does your lease require the rent paid?

Last edited by watergirl on Wed, Dec 04 2019, 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 9:41 am
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
I’m a renter and it clearly states I have till the fifth to pay as on time. I would be super annoyed if my landlord called me by the second no matter what my lease said because really it’s not late sometimes like this month if someone gets paid on a Monday for the week before they are waiting for that money to maybe pay the rent which would be today receiving the check and tomorrow paying rent. You can explain to your tenant that you need this money for the mortgage so if he wouldn’t mind paying the first.
I also worked for a real estate guy and legally there’s nothing to do legally until they are late 2 months.

The rent is due on the first. There's no penalty unless it is paid after the 5th. But it is due on the first.

You can start non- payment proceedings after 1 month. Wait too long and the doctrine of latches attaches. See an attorney. This isn't legal advice.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 10:18 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
The rent is due on the first. There's no penalty unless it is paid after the 5th. But it is due on the first.

You can start non- payment proceedings after 1 month. Wait too long and the doctrine of latches attaches. See an attorney. This isn't legal advice.

What kind of advice is it? You advised on when to start a legal proceeding.

OP - many people build in a 5 day grace period into their lease agreements. Personally I think its the mentchlik thing to do... and I would only send a reminder on the last day of the grace period.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 10:32 am
Thanks all. I did think nudging on the 2nd already was a bit overdoing it, even though it clearly states rent is due on the 1st. I've had tenants who have not missed paying on the 1st ever. Different types.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 10:35 am
Landlord here.
Calling before the deadline is chutzpah. If they have until the 10th before the late fee is applied, you should not call before the 11th. (And you can then collect the late fee.)

We have a separate bank account for rent, and try to save so we are never stuck. Also, we "assume" the date is the 10th, not the 1st. Meaning, we tell ourselves mentally that they are not law until they actually incur a late fee. (Maybe for courtesy to them I would call on the 9th in case they forgot, this way they can avoid the late fee.)

mommyhood

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 10:35 am
If you want the rent on the 1st you need to require head checks or ask them to set up electronic payment with zelle or paypal or something similar. We had a landlord that required that as part of the lease agreement and I liked it that way as it was off my head. Remembering to write a check on one specific day every month is hard.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics