Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Social Skills - Book Recommendation

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 4:24 am
any recommendation for a clear book on social awareness. have a 13 year old boy who needs help in this area. thank you.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 6:00 am
Rifka Schonfeld. We have her book on anxiety (My Friend the Worrier). It's very much geared toward OCD but even though DS suffers from more general anxiety we found it really helpful. I don't know what specific issues you mean, but she has a bunch of books and even some kind of social skills workbook. I haven't seen that, so can't really comment on if it's good, but definitely look into it.

seeker

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 9:24 am
Social thinking. Trying to remember the title of the ones good for that age. Maybe it was Social Detective? Look on their website, it's easy to search by age.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 9:47 am
I don't think it needs a book, just talking and rehearsing

seeker

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 9:55 am
Ruchel wrote:
I don't think it needs a book, just talking and rehearsing

I find books helpful. They provide a structure for your talking and rehearsing, especially for parents who don't have a solid background in how to teach these skills (and even for those who do!) plus they are great visual aids and review for the kids, especially if they enjoy reading. I have books I went through with my kids long ago that they occasionally pull out just for leisure reading and I hope it's helping the messages sink in, I believe it does. There's only so much I can personally drum things into their heads.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 9:57 am
Social skills activities for kids by Natasha Daniels. Excellent book with worksheets. It breaks everything down in a simple way. It's geared for younger kids but I think helpful for all ages even adults to be honest.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 10:26 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
Social skills activities for kids by Natasha Daniels. Excellent book with worksheets. It breaks everything down in a simple way. It's geared for younger kids but I think helpful for all ages even adults to be honest.

Thanks for the suggestion! I was just coming on here to ask something similar for my younger child. I hope it helps!

mha3484

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 10:30 am
My son did great with superflex by Michelle Garcia Winner. Its really fantastic.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics