Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Did you give the flu shot?
1  2  3  4  Next

Did you give the flu shot?
Yes I did or planning to  
 63%  [ 90 ]
No and I'm not planning on  
 36%  [ 52 ]
Total Votes : 142

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 11:54 am
Just curious.. How many gave it or are giving it to their kids?

Jewishmom8

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 11:55 am
I got it and so did my kids

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 11:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Nope nope and nope. Most ineffective, unreliable and hardest to make effective vaccine because it's a guess. There are so many strains of flu, no way to know which strain will go around. And many don't do well from it and get sick so why bother.

tweety1

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 12:00 pm
Some years I did, some I didn't. Since this yr half of my kids already had it, I'm still deciding. My pediatrician is nudging me to give it cuz of the other strains but I'm still undecided.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 12:29 pm
Yes and yes.
I have a daughter on humira so it’s a must.

At one time my children got the flu after the shot. It was very mild and they were pretty ok but I will still annoyed. I spoke to my dr and he said if patients who take the flu shot don’t get lifetime complications or die of the flu then it is working. He is right.
Last year so many healthy ppl - including a Jewish toddler in Lakewood - died of the flu. It’s just not worth the chance.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 12:31 pm
I don't give it because whenever we did get the flu shot, we all got the flu! And there are afew different strains of the flu, it's not possible to know when making the vaccine.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 12:32 pm
I’m
Scared of needles so I won’t get one
I got the flu mist where you breathe something up you’re nose I’m to old for that and not sure if it exists my husbands I doctor so he must get the flu shot or have to wear a mask
My adult children get it and even donate blood

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 12:34 pm
https://www.washingtonpost.com.....e=amp

In past seasons, 80% of pediatric flu deaths were in children who were not vaccinated.

Yes, I vaccinate my kids each year for flu.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 12:46 pm
My dr wants me to give it to my baby but Im undecided

Chayalle

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 12:54 pm
Two years ago, my whole family had the flu. Then DH and I got the flu shot. Then the kids got flu again but DH and I did not.

After that, I make the kids get the flu shot. The experience of taking care of my daughter while she vomited repeatedly for a few hours straight was sufficient once in my lifetime.

I won't even mention the amount of robitussin we collectively consumed to get thru the nights breathing. (and for those concerned, Rabbi Belsky z'l okayed taking the capsule ones, where you don't taste it.) Or the number of tylenol, motrin, etc..we downed. Or the sudafed, to try to help our streaming noses.

Or the allergic reaction one DD had to tamiflu. Her throat was constricted so she could hardly breathe, and we added benadryl to the cocktail of medicines she was taking till the swelling went down.

I am done with flu. When my niece got the flu in October (!) I made everyone go down to the pharmacy and get the shot right away.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 12:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Of course I did. Why not?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 12:58 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
I don't give it because whenever we did get the flu shot, we all got the flu! And there are afew different strains of the flu, it's not possible to know when making the vaccine.

You know that you didnt get the flu from the actual flu shot. You got the flu because it's flu season! Otherwise you wouldnt need the flu shot . The flu shot is an inactive virus. There is no way to get the flu from the flu shot. You can however get the flu when you get the shot because it's flu season. .

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 12:58 pm
Yes! I get the flu shot every year and take my kids to get it too, even the babies. I can't force DH to get it but I nudge him every so often until he either gets it or I give up. One year he never got around to getting the shot and he ended up with the flu. The rest of us were just fine, but he was pretty miserable for a while. At least it was a good lesson for the kids as to why we get shots to begin with! Plus once I remind him how unpleasant it was to actually get the flu it helps him get over his fear of needles enough to get the shot each year.

We have a close family currently being treated for cancer so it's even more important this year for the rest of us to be vaccinated in order to protect our relative.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 12:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My dr wants me to give it to my baby but Im undecided

Just give it. There's no reason not to

Iymnok

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 1:18 pm
Yes, Meuhedet had an event for it. Each kid got a cheap prize and a magnet with their picture. They insist on going each year. They offer me one as well. Only DH hasn’t gotten one this year.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 1:39 pm
Eighty thousand Americans died of the the flu last season, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

I wonder if you hear less about flu shot injuries because those who give it don’t look for it.

BadTichelDay

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 2:28 pm
Yes. I get one every year for myself and the kids and I try to make dh get one, too. My job exposes me to a lot of people at close range, so I'd rather be on the safe side. And the kids, what with gan and school, are also exposed. I have to say, none of us ever had the real flu since we started getting the vaccinations every year. Of course one still can get other viruses and common colds, but at least not the real thing.

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 2:30 pm
Yes we all get it every year.
Some years my kids / husband have caught flu but it has always been way milder and shorter lasting than regular flu without the shot (which can last up to 10 days and really knocks you out, it can kill those with weaker immune systems and can put kids in hospital > all from personal experience!).

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 2:41 pm
Scientists don't know which strain(s) of flu will become prevalent the following flu season- it's all a shot in the dark, as they're guessing. But for sure there is thermisol, live viruses and a host of other toxins in the flu shot.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 2:44 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Just give it. There's no reason not to

The toxins and live viruses in the flu shot are a reason many people decide not to get a flu shot. Anyhow scientists don't have crystal balls.there's no way to know which strain or even strains of the flu virus will be going around, when the flu shots are made pre-flu season.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics