Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Calling all Landlords
Previous  1  2

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 11:09 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
What kind of advice is it? You advised on when to start a legal proceeding.

OP - many people build in a 5 day grace period into their lease agreements. Personally I think its the mentchlik thing to do... and I would only send a reminder on the last day of the grace period.

I answered the other poster who said tenants have 2 months. They don't.

It is not nice not to pay your rent on the date due. It is due on the first and not the day late fees attach. Obviously, the rent needs to be due on the 25th and late fees attach on the first with this crowd.

miami85

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 11:33 am
When we rented a house it was in our lease agreement that if we didn't pay by the 5th of the month there would be a penalty.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 11:42 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
I answered the other poster who said tenants have 2 months. They don't.

It is not nice not to pay your rent on the date due. It is due on the first and not the day late fees attach. Obviously, the rent needs to be due on the 25th and late fees attach on the first with this crowd.

Right - you provided legal advice.

how do your tenancy contracts read?

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 11:46 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Right - you provided legal advise.

No. I specifically said to consult an attorney.

OP you need to train your tenants to pay on the first. You can see tenants don't think their rent is due when they agreed to pay it.

Next lease try a discount if they pay on or before the first with a steep penalty if they pay after the third.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 12:15 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
No. I specifically said to consult an attorney.

Correct - after providing legal advice.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 5:56 pm
rivkam wrote:
Could you in the future take checks in advance? In israel, the norm is to give checks for the next year so you just cash it in each month on the date it states on the check

Mmm, well that's done in Israel to American friers, but don't let any landlords tell you 'this is the norm,' let alone that Israelis fall for this trick! We had a very bad and costly experience with writing checks in advance to a landlord. Once we rented from a landlord who stated in the contract, that with a month's notice we could end the lease. We gave a month's notice following 13 months at the apartment. Lease ended. Or so we thought... that landlord didn't manage to find a tenant for 2 months (perhaps because the apartment was in need of a serious repair?). In any case, the landlord returned all the checks to us -save one- and deposited it, because he didn't want to eat the loss he caused himself (by not making timely repairs so he could find a tenant). What to do? Take him to court? Too costly, and too little to gain. Our Israeli friends told us that Israelis rarely ever give checks in advance. Not only that, but we later found out from 2 of our old neighbours, also tenants in that building, that not a single tenant in that building even so much as paid a safety deposit (though we were charged one), and nobody there besides us was writing checks in advance. Israeli landlords will tell you this and that are the norm- don't believe it. Our second and third rentals? We didn't pay a safety deposit, and we didn't give a single check in advance, yet somehow the apartments were better. Hmm, guess we American friers got taken for a good ride by the first landlord, but wised up a bit by the second. Too bad our ignorance cost over $1,000.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics