Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Did you give the flu shot?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Did you give the flu shot?
Yes I did or planning to  
 63%  [ 90 ]
No and I'm not planning on  
 36%  [ 52 ]
Total Votes : 142

gold21

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 7:01 pm
Two questions

1. During my first pregnancy I was told I was not immune to rubella. After delivery, while in the hospital, I was given an MMR. I had no reaction and all was well BH

Following my third delivery, the only one that took place during flu season (I seem to tend toward spring and summer babies), I was offered the flu shot in the hospital. I agreed happily. That night, my throat and chest hurt and felt funny and despite my pospartum exhaustion I could barely sleep. That whole situation made me wary of the flu shot.

Anyone with insight on my experience? I’m being totally serious.

2. As a child, I did not have flu annually. I had it a few times over the course of my childhood. I don’t remember the flu going around annually. Some years yes, some years no.

What’s changed? Why has the flu become so much more commonplace and predictably showing up every year like clockwork?

Anyways.... Yeah

If anyone wants to talk me into giving the flu shot, I’m totally open. Just need some convincing.... Or talk me out of it...

I’m on the fence

eschaya

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 8:50 pm
gold21 wrote:
Two questions

1. During my first pregnancy I was told I was not immune to rubella. After delivery, while in the hospital, I was given an MMR. I had no reaction and all was well BH

Following my third delivery, the only one that took place during flu season (I seem to tend toward spring and summer babies), I was offered the flu shot in the hospital. I agreed happily. That night, my throat and chest hurt and felt funny and despite my pospartum exhaustion I could barely sleep. That whole situation made me wary of the flu shot.

Anyone with insight on my experience? I’m being totally serious.

2. As a child, I did not have flu annually. I had it a few times over the course of my childhood. I don’t remember the flu going around annually. Some years yes, some years no.

What’s changed? Why has the flu become so much more commonplace and predictably showing up every year like clockwork?

Anyways.... Yeah

If anyone wants to talk me into giving the flu shot, I’m totally open. Just need some convincing.... Or talk me out of it...

I’m on the fence

re #2: Your having or not having the flu is not indicative of whether the flu was "going around" or not. I personally have never had the flu. I'm in my mid-30s. In spite of my personal experience, I still recognize that the flu tends to "go around annually". Incidentally, I get the flu shot every year, as do my children. B'H, none of them has gotten the flu.
I cannot convince you that the flu shot is perfect. Because it's not. But in the meantime, it's the best protection we have. Typically, the flu vaccine is 60% effective, though some years it can be more or less. But even for those who do end up getting the flu after getting a flu shot, their illness is likely to be less severe, and the chance of hospitalization with flu-related sequelae is decreased.
The flu has always showed up annually during "flu season". This is not a modern invention. Every year it's a different strain, and some are more virulent than others. There have been influenza epidemics throughout history. The influenza pandemic of 1918 killed more people than WWI. The term "influenza" was first coined in 1357; this is not a new disease. There have been multiple large epidemics throughout history. Some years the flu strain is more virulent ("catchy") and an epidemic can occur. Some years the flu is associated with a high mortality, and other years many people will get it but few die. Viruses are crazy things.

re #1: you realize that you cannot get the flu from the flu shot (it's an inactivated virus), and the fact that you experienced symptoms within 1 day of getting the vaccine should be a clear indicator to you that it wasn't the flu from the flu shot. Now the flu shot does sometimes cause short-lived muscle aches, headache, low grade fever, etc. This is not the flu and it's usually <2 days. It's very possible that your symptoms were related to the shot. But I'd much rather have 2 days of mild symptoms than the full blown flu. And especially with a new baby at home, whose immune system is so new, I'd gladly experience a day of cold-like symptoms to protect my baby (since I'm now less likely to become infected and pass is on to the child). Still, I'm sorry that you had to deal with that in the postpartum period. I probably would have waited a bit, because your body is so messed up already.

Full disclosure: I work in healthcare. I am very pro-vax.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 9:26 pm
I wanted the higher dose for 65 and up but the place was out of it and said that I would be fine for the regular dose. A week later I was exposed to the flu but didn't catch it so it appears that the shot works. I also took some grandchildren who wanted flu shots.
My husband, who really is over 65 (I'm not) did get the higher dose. My understanding is that the flu can cause a heart attack due to excessive inflammation.
I really don't like being sick and I want to be available for my family so I try to prevent illness.
I did read that Stanley Plotnick (who invented several vaccines) doesn't trust that the immunity lasts all winter so he gets another one mid winter because the flu often kills people his age.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 9:28 pm
eschaya, I don't know where you're getting the 60% efficacy average.
Here is the chart from the CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccin......html

You can see that 60% was the highest in 2010-2011. Most other years, the effectiveness rate is much lower, less than 50%.

In addition, more adverse events are reported after a flu shot than after many other shots. Lots of anecdotal evidence of deaths immediately following a flu shot including Senator Peralta.

ora_43

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 10:25 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:

It's not without basis. There was a 2012 meta-analysis published in the Lancet suggesting a roughly 60% efficacy average.

Quote:
Here is the chart from the CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccin......html

You can see that 60% was the highest in 2010-2011. Most other years, the effectiveness rate is much lower, less than 50%.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccin.....a.htm

Measuring effectiveness is tricky.

ora_43

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 10:34 pm
In addition, more adverse events are reported after a flu shot than after many other shots. Lots of anecdotal evidence of deaths immediately following a flu shot including Senator Peralta.

Nothing to do with the flu shot unless there's a second senator Peralta who died suddenly who I'm not aware of.

A lot of the people who get the flu shot are older, because they are at higher risk. If 5 in 2,000 seniors die within a month after getting a flu shot, that's not "anecdotal evidence of deaths immediately following flu shots," it's the statistically expected number of deaths.

ora_43

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 10:38 pm
The flu shot is far from perfect, but overall it does seem to be saving lives. My family is getting it.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 4:27 am

Where did you get this news from? Please a source.

This is the third false fact. Thermisol in children’s vaccines (in us), live virus in the shot, and senator Peralta death.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 4:41 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
Where did you get this news from? Please a source.

This is the third false fact. Thermisol in children’s vaccines (in us), live virus in the shot, and senator Peralta death.

What's a false fact? That he died suddenly or that his death was coincidentally a couple of days after getting the flu shot?

I said there's anecdotal evidence, which by its very essence is not a fact, so it definitely can't be a false fact.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 4:42 am
ora_43 wrote:
The flu shot is far from perfect, but overall it does seem to be saving lives. My family is getting it.

It can also damage lives. Check out VAERS for the influenza vaccine.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 7:06 am
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
You've never had flu in your life? Wow! That's pretty lucky. I remember having the flu as a kid, before flu shots were around. It was really awful. I've had flu as an adult too, and it's really miserable. Most people who test positive for flu and didn't get the shot are pretty sick. Not mildly sick for a few days.

About pneumonia, that's not something someone catches. It's a complication from the flu- the only reason those people got pneumonia is because they had the flu. In fact that's what causes many flu deaths.

Bli ayan hora I've never been sick. Bli ayan hora never absent from school or work.

My father had the flu a few years ago he was home sick for 2-3 days but otherwise went to work and it was like a very bad cold. He didnt take the medication for the flu and he said it wasnt so bad

southernbubby

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 7:32 am
Because there are numerous strains of the flu, it can be anything between a minor illness to death within hours, and everything in between. After my brother, who is self employed, spent two weeks in bed with the flu, he was careful to get the vaccine every year. Economically, the flu shot is usually the better choice. Tamiflu is expensive for those who pay out of pocket.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 7:45 am
No. Pro vax but don't give that

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 7:53 am
Tamiflu has some awful side effects, so much so that the doctors here stopped recommending it.
We've had the flu a few times in the past. Not worth getting a shot for. Yes it feels miserable but a week or two of rest, fluids, and care makes the whole thing a distant memory.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 7:54 am
Me and the kids get it every year. Never had any side effects.
My husband doesn't want it but he's not around lots of people. I work with lots of people also kids so that would be too risky

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 8:18 am
Some of these posts remind me of this saying my friend always says
“I drank water then I threw up. The water must have been bad”.

Not EVERYTHING that happens Is BECAUSE of something else.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 8:22 am
HonesttoGod wrote:
Some of these posts remind me of this saying my friend always says
“I drank water then I threw up. The water must have been bad”.

Not EVERYTHING that happens Is BECAUSE of something else.

Definitely.
And same for "I didn't get the flu because I got the flu shot."
It is a two way street.

moonstone

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 9:16 am
The way you worded your question, I thought you were asking if any of us are health professionals who administer the flu shot to others.

chipmunks

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 9:58 am
My daughter is immune-suppressed so our whole family needs it every year. Anyone who's on the fence about "non-essential" vaccines like chickenpox and flu, please think of all the people -- many of them very small and cute, many of them very elderly and worthy of your respect -- that you will be protecting if you choose to do so.

miami85

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 10:24 am
Yes, even if its not 100% effective for preventing the flu, last year when my whole community got the flu, I did get it, but didn't even know it was the flu (I never got tested just assuming based on the entire community getting it the same week). I got sick on Shabbos and my dr/clinic is only M-F so by Monday I would not have been eligible for Tamiflu anyway, only missed Monday of work, and was "getting better" Tuesday. I had a mild fever and mild symptoms so I never even bothered getting checked. Most of my kids had symptoms but not all of them got fever and missed 1-2 days of school each mostly precautionary . My husband got a mild 24-48 version of it. If it would've been the flu without the vaccine it likely would've been 3-5 days EACH member of the family WITH fever. We were mostly back to normal within a week. I had a lingering cough but that's it. I had a colleague at work who came down with pneumonia and was hospitalized (ICU and ventilator) and out of work for 6-8 weeks.

I have had 4 and now 5 winter babies, its top priority on my list.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics