Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
High schools in Lakewood
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 11:03 am
Hi. I recently moved to a Lakewood neighborhood. I have a daughter in 8th grade. I don’t know many high schools around here and I am open to recommendations, since application time is coming up. I am looking for a bais yaakov type of school, with solid girls hashkafah wise. A school that focuses on middos and hashkafos more that academics. I don’t believe in academic pressure. My daughter does well in school, but would appreciate more hashkafa and less academic pressure. A school that is a happy environment and a growth oriented environment , where girls strive to grow in middos more than in test marks. (Am I dreaming?)

GrowingUp

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 11:09 am
Sounds like Bais Kaila would be a good fit.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 11:24 am
Yes, you are pretty much describing Bais Kaila. I sent my girls there for the same reasons you describe (having gone to a highly-academic, pressured BY myself, and recognizing that my girls would thrive with something different.)

been there

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 11:24 am
I hear that a lot. That’s one school I’m familiar with. However, I need other options for the application and Incase she doesn’t get accepted there. I don’t know how acceptance is done around here. I was told that I must put down at least 4 names of schools on the application.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 11:26 am
My DD's say that the only other school in town (but there may be new ones by now) that is also less pressured, warm, nice, is Bais Shaindel. And though it's more to the right in general, it has a large student body and a little bit of all types.

Chedvas, associated with Bnos Bracha, just opened this past year and sounds like it would be another great option for your DD. Mrs. Jaffe, formerly of BK, is the principal. She is a WONDERFUL person.

been there

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 1:01 pm
Thanks!! I’m writing all my options down. Keep them coming.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 1:12 pm
Bais Yacov of Greater Washington unless you have a lot of MONEY AND A LOT OF PULL with the Lakewood schools

Chayalle

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 1:16 pm
I certainly don't have alot of money...and yet I've B"H graduated two daughters thru BK in Lakewood, without having to send them OOT.

keym

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 1:21 pm
I'm going to mention Aderes BY.
It's new. This year has a tenth grade.
Sounds like a solid school with girls from solid families.
I am in a similar boat. 8th grade daughter so I'm looking into all the schools. And so far what I hear about Aderes is quite nice. Middle of the road, not extreme in any way.

OP, where is your daughter now? To get an idea of where you are.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 1:31 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Bais Yacov of Greater Washington unless you have a lot of MONEY AND A LOT OF PULL with the Lakewood schools

Sending away is not an option for my daughter. She is too much of a homebody. Likes to come home and chill in her surroundings. I need to be able to do with what’s around here.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 1:35 pm
keym wrote:
I am in a similar boat. 8th grade daughter so I'm looking into all the schools. And so far what I hear about Aderes is quite nice. Middle of the road, not extreme in any way.

[b]

The school where my daughter is now, does not reflect who we/she is. It wasn’t so much our choice, just the only one that had room for her at the time that we moved.

keym

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 1:35 pm
keym wrote:

I'm just going to assume that the hug is in sympathy that I have an 8th grade daughter trying to find a school.
Otherwise, like I tell my kids let's use our words.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 1:37 pm
keym wrote:
I'm just going to assume that the hug is in sympathy that I have an 8th grade daughter trying to find a school.
Otherwise, like I tell my kids let's use our words.

Lol! That was a mistake. I am new at this. Must of pressed it by mistake.

keym

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 1:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
[b]

The school where my daughter is now, does not reflect who we/she is. It wasn’t so much our choice, just the only one that had room for her at the time that we moved.

I hear.
Where do you fall on the Litvish/Chassidish spectrum?
I've heard wonderful things 3rd hand about Bais Leah (Bnos Rochel's high school) but it does skew Heimish. Significant shtreimel/up-hat wearers father's most father's wear bekeshes.

keym

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 1:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Lol! That was a mistake. I am new at this. Must of pressed it by mistake.

Very Happy

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 9:25 pm
Another vote for bais kaila and chedvas

small bean

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 9:32 pm
Also bnos bais yakov is middle of the road.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 12:14 am
keym wrote:
I hear.
Where do you fall on the Litvish/Chassidish spectrum?
I've heard wonderful things 3rd hand about Bais Leah (Bnos Rochel's high school) but it does skew Heimish. Significant shtreimel/up-hat wearers father's most father's wear bekeshes.

We are somewhere in the middle. I would say we are ehrliche balabatishe jews. Smile

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I am writing them all down. This was quite helpful.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 9:14 am
keym wrote:

I was going to mention Aderes as well....the only reason I didn't is because I had the impression that they intend to be very academic, and OP mentioned she didn't want that.

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 10:00 am
Bais Shaindel but very large classes - like almost 40 girls in a class
Can you ask her teachers what they recommend?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics