Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Group challah bake question

nosher

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 9:33 am
At what point in the process do you take your dough to the group to take challah? How long does your dough sit out before shaping?

I went to a challah bake and my dough was out too long. The dough smelled sour and the challahs didn’t look nice after baking.

I made my dough, let it rise ten minutes, mixed again and then went out. Usually at this point I let the dough rise for 25-30 minutes and then shape.
Now I was out for approximately 1.5 hours. I shaped and put it in the oven on 215 for 15 minutes before baking properly.

Thanks

nosher

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 3:37 pm
Bump

Raisin

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 4:01 pm
I'm not sure what your question is at all?

nosher

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 4:14 pm
Was my dough out too long? How do people take their dough out to someone’s house to make a Bracha and still get good challah?

Raisin

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 4:22 pm
Oh I see. I have never been to that type of group challah bake but I always let my dough rise for 1-2 hours and it is fine. 25 minutes is not long enough IMO.

I would make the dough right beforehand, and assuming the group lasts for an hour it would be ready to shape once home.

nosher

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 8:58 pm
I should explain. After the half hour rise, I shape and then let it rise another 30-45 minutes. Somehow I think the dough was messed up because it was out too long.

lavenderchimes

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 10:59 pm
I have never had dough successfully raise in 25 minutes. My challah takes a total of three hours, start to finish. I typically let the first raise go for a minimum of 1.5 hours, usually longer. This time of year, start it at 6am, leave it to rise while I am at work, and shape it in time to let it rise another 45 minutes before baking, to come out of the oven before candle lighting. My mother always let it raise half the day, also. When you say it didn't look nice, I am wondering what the issue was? Do you beat and knead it to get the air bubbles out before shaping? IDK about the smell - maybe it was a fluke.

nosher

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 11:04 pm
Thank you Raisin and lavenderchimes. My total rising time for dough is longer than 25 minutes. I let it rise 15 minutes, beat it again, then 25-30 minute rise. Then I braid and let it rise another 45 minutes or less.

However, the dough rose way longer this time due to the challah bake.

I guess I’m not sure what the issue is that caused the challos to look and smell weird. The same thing happened the one other time I went to a challah bake.

I guess I need to stick to saying names at home and not going out to people’s homes with dough!

Lizzie4

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 6:30 am
As an aside, you should know it might be halachically problematic to do a hafrasha in someone else's house, when you will be returning home to bake your bread. Ask your LOR
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads