Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Help me word this - special interests on sem application

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 6:21 pm
I enjoy cooking and baking. I play the piano and take piano lessons. I enjoy spending time with friends.

Fix the wording, plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Sems applying to are very academic.

BetsyTacy

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 6:37 pm
I am not sure that enjoyng spending time with friends really counts as a special interest.
Honestly, it would be concerning if a girl wants to attend seminary and doesn't enjoy spending time with friends.

amother
Green

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 6:38 pm
Why is it an issue to say just that?

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 7:14 pm
I enjoy cooking for the family and trying new recipes. I also enjoy baking for snacks and Simchos . I enjoy music and I am currently progressing in learning to play the piano.

trixx

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 8:28 pm
Nothing wrong with the wording but it could be stronger to describe why she likes those interests.
I enjoy cooking and baking bc I love the creative process of tweaking recipes, the science of following baking exactly, it's a creative challenge to make a textbook recipe my own..

I play piano, it is meditative for me, I am taking lessons to hone my skills and master the craft, I enjoy learning the rules behind the art.
Etc

imasinger

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 8:32 pm
Is there really nothing else?

Consider summer vacations, chesed work for school or home, any other school activities, anything else. Reading or deep discussion with friends would also be a good interest. Is the cooking and baking all for herself, or has she organized or arranged anything larger, like for neighbor's simchas?

For what you have, you could say,

"I have been studying piano for __ years, [possibly a word about recitals or ability level]. I enjoy creating new recipes, and am chef for [my family twice a week/my class/the neighborhood simchas]. I love spending time with my friends, who know they can count on my listening ear and sense of humor."

Ruchel

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 5:25 am
I would say something intellectual, or nothing
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics