Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Emergency ..Challah Fiasco!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 9:55 am
Calling all challah experts: My friend is making challah now and said that she thinks the water was too hot and it killed the yeast because the dough is minimally rising. Should she throw away the whole 6 pound batch or add more yeast? She already added a 1/4 cup of yeast. I'm posting anonymously bc she asked me to post for her...she doesn't belong to
Thank you!!

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 9:57 am
I’m no expert but you can’t add yeast to a mixed dough. It needs to be proofed etc. also 1/4 c yeast sounds like a lot to be added. I don’t think it’s going to be good.

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 10:02 am
Tell her to make 2 small rolls and place in the oven at 220 deg for 25 minutes
Hopefully it will rise a little. Then turn the oven higher to 350 and bake for another 25 minutes.
If the small rolls will rise and bake then the rest of the dough will work out..

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 10:04 am
I’ve baked challah with dough that didn’t rise. It definitely wasn’t good fluffy challah.. but if you’re not having guests you can still use it if you don’t mind flat challos.
Otherwise, run out the store and buy!
There’s always a box of matzos!

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 10:22 am
She can also jump start the rising process by putting in the microwave on the defrost setting for 2 minutes

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 10:24 am
Ladies, you're all wonderful! Thank you for taking out the time to post on such a short day to help my friend. Have a wonderful Shabbos!

esuss

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 10:51 am
The kitchen had to be warm for the dough to rise. During the winter I turn on the oven to add some warmth. But don't put the challas in the oven or on the stovetop while the oven is on. Also cover the dough with a towel should help.

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 10:51 am
So... what happened?? Did the dough work out?

tilot37354

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 12:51 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
I’m no expert but you can’t add yeast to a mixed dough. It needs to be proofed etc. also 1/4 c yeast sounds like a lot to be added. I don’t think it’s going to be good.

I always use 1/4 yeast. I mix it with 3.5-4 cups water and 3/4 cup sugar... Challah doesn't taste yeasty.

I find the main factor in challah rising is the temperature and moisture of rising environment. My favorite cheat: heating oven to 200F, turning off, and sticking dough inside to rise.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 12:43 pm
If it's just not rising, but a pinch of the dough tastes OK, then make focaccia.

Roll it flat, and poke it a few times with a fork. Schmear with olive oil, and sprinkle zaatar or garlic salt on top. If you are making pasta, it's really good for scooping up sauce.

Another thing you can do is to put it in a bag in the refrigerator, and use later on as pizza crusts or bread sticks.

Simple1

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 3:21 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:

I've made challah recipes without proofing and it came out fine. I think the proofing is to make sure your yeast is good. But experienced bakers here can correct me if I'm wrong. I would imagine though that it's hard to mix yeast into a ready mixed dough.

amother
Cyan

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 3:34 pm
tilot37354 wrote:
I always use 1/4 yeast. I mix it with 3.5-4 cups water and 3/4 cup sugar... Challah doesn't taste yeasty.

I find the main factor in challah rising is the temperature and moisture of rising environment. My favorite cheat: heating oven to 200F, turning off, and sticking dough inside to rise.

Right but she ADDED the yeast to dough that already had yeast. I would think doubling it is too much.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 3:51 pm
You can add yeast to mused dough. Just make sure you dissolved it. Remixing is a messy annoying process but it can be done.

zaq

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 4:34 pm
It’s too late now given the date of the OP but for future reference, yes you can add more yeast unless the dough has spoiled. (Your nose will tell you in no uncertain terms if that is the case.)

Remixing dough is a messy process but not difficult. You just knead in the new yeast with a bit of water, little by little, until it’s all worked in.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen