Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Would you fly with a 1.5 Month old for y"t?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 11:09 am
Would you fly (domestic US) with a 1/1.5 month old for pesach? Options are a)make pesach entirely on my own, with a newborn or b) fly to relatives (and possible make only first or second days).
Option b means taking a domestic US
Flight with a newborn + being in close proximity with little (possibly germy) cousins over yom tov.

(I would obviously not do anything without pediatrician's approval.)

Thoughts?

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 11:14 am
Yes. I would absolutely do it. At 6 weeks postpartum, I still need to feel nurtured and cared for, not run myself ragged making pesach. I don't have a problem bringing my newborn to other people's houses, I just keep him/her in my room as much as possible and don't allow any children to touch.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 11:17 am
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
Yes. I would absolutely do it. At 6 weeks postpartum, I still need to feel nurtured and cared for, not run myself ragged making pesach. I don't have a problem bringing my newborn to other people's houses, I just keep him/her in my room as much as possible and don't allow any children to touch.

I won't have my own room. All meals will take place in a small apartment in a building across the street/down the block from our sleeping accommodations.
I can use blankets and make a rule that no kids can touch.

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 11:17 am
I just had a baby. My plan was to fly with him at 2 months. But baby arrived screaming all day! So the plan was canceled. If the baby is a good baby and it's a domestic flight, I would totally fly with a baby. Especially for yom tov.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 11:30 am
No way

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 11:58 am
Yes.

But op, you say you won't do it without your pediatrician's approval. If your pediatrician approves it, why do you care what some anonymous women think?

flowerpower

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 12:10 pm
Yes. I would.

shmosmom

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 12:19 pm
As long as he got his shots already and pediatrician approves.

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 12:21 pm
shmosmom wrote:
As long as he got his shots already and pediatrician approves.

The only vaccine recommended before 2 months is Hep B so I'm not sure what shots you're referring to.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/s......html

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 12:23 pm
I wouldn't do it. Airplanes are super germy.

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 12:32 pm
My friend did it she bought a mask for baby they sell them to protect from germs like they use in hospitals for newborns

I would totally do it I made pesach with a 6 month old it was murder. Even if u have to walk etc. I would skip bringing in the pesach altogether

ectomorph

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 12:39 pm
I wouldn't, having ended up with a young baby in hospital traveling.
.if you do, make sure your e ok w the local hospital of chv something comes up

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 12:39 pm
There is whooping cough in Chicago and NY. I wouldn't fly to those places

Raindropsonrose

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 12:51 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
The only vaccine recommended before 2 months is Hep B so I'm not sure what shots you're referring to.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/s......html

A lot of pediatricians will do the 2 month shots as early as 6 weeks

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 12:51 pm
I would stay home, but that's me. I fly very often but not with a baby younger than two months and without a round of shots.

DrMom

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 7:35 am
Sure.

Domestic US flights, unless you are flying to Alaska or Hawaii, are not so long. Esp if the child naps during the flight -- easy-peasy.

amother
Oak

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 10:58 am
I wouldn't it doesn't look like your jt will be that calmer by going away.

amother
Brown

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 12:16 pm
I did it . With a ONE WEEK old baby !!!! It was either flying or having a nervous breakdown . Ex husband didnt lift a finger in the house . We lived close to his family and we weren't invited to them for pessach .
My parents were a few hours flight away and I didnt have a choice but going to them with a newborn and a toddler . It saved me !!! He flight itself was perfect . The hardest part was the packing on my own !!!!!

Aylat

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 1:50 pm
I just flew with a 7 week old. The 2 month shots can actually be given from 6 weeks, so I did that. I fed him immediately before boarding and put him in the sling. He slept the entire (!) 5 hr night flight - being wrapped tight against my chest definitely helped - and I fed him again at baggage claim.

ETA the flight back was daytime. He slept for 2 hours and then needed feeding. I was flying with relatives on the way back so they held him for quite a while which was really helpful.

Aylat

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 1:55 pm
To me it wouldn't be the flying, it would be staying at someone else's house. Will it be stressful or relaxing? Will you have your own space? Can you nap during the day? If you're breastfeeding is there a comfortable place for you to feed in peace and privacy when you want? Do you have other children, and if so, where will it be easier to look after them, at home or relatives?

Also, you said you might have to make half of Pesach. IMO making half of Pesach is almost as hard as making it all - you still have to Pesach clean. Is it worth travelling then?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics