Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toddler vomiting after cry it out method
1  2  3  4  Next

meeze

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 6:06 pm
I have a 16 month old. I put him to bed with a bottle at night. Then after he finishes the bottle, He wakes up and starts to cry. If I let him cry for more than 5 minutes, he gags and then throws up.

I get so frustrated. I start changing pj's and linen and try putting him back to bed. But this is also a process.........I let him sit on me in his dark room and only after 20 minutes does he fall asleep on me! I feel like he is taking advantage of me way too much!! My friends and family say that I should let him throw up and sleep in his mess and not change him so he should learn that this is not the way to get him out of bed!!

Please, all of you who have experience with this, I need help!!

Thanks so much

trixx

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 6:07 pm
meeze wrote:
I have a 16 month old. I put him to bed with a bottle at night. Then after he finishes the bottle, He wakes up and starts to cry. If I let him cry for more than 5 minutes, he gags and then throws up.

I get so frustrated. I start changing pj's and linen and try putting him back to bed. But this is also a process.........I let him sit on me in his dark room and only after 20 minutes does he fall asleep on me! I feel like he is taking advantage of me way too much!! My friends and family say that I should let him throw up and sleep in his mess and not change him so he should learn that this is not the way to get him out of bed!!

Please, all of you who have experience with this, I need help!!

Thanks so much

Omg. Please don't do that. It's child abuse.
I'm sorry but a 16 month is still a baby. I still sit with my almost 3y some nights. It's ok. They will still walk on their own two feet to the chuppah.

I mean the title is the answer to your question. Clearly CIO isn't working (not that I ever believed in it) since his response is to express his helplessness and loneliness by physically making him sick. He's too young to manipulate and control. He's calling for help. He's not taking advantage, he's being a baby, welcome to having kids.

Last edited by trixx on Sat, Dec 07 2019, 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

notshanarishona

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 6:09 pm
First of all, the cry it out method is very harsh. Have you tried other sleep training methods? Second, never leave a kid to sit in their own vomit. 16 months is too young to control it.
I would try other sleep training methods first. Try Batya the Baby Coach.

meeze

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 6:12 pm
Yeh, but even when he falls esleep on me, I try to put him into bed, and then he wakes up again...some nights, I could be up 3 times to do this....I'm drained by now.

Last night, I had him sleep in my bed, but I got zero sleep. He would poke me in the eye and not sleep in a normal position till he falls asleep.
I basically had no sleep and then could not stretch in my own bed. I felt like in a jail near him.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 6:13 pm
Afew of my kids would vomit after throwing a tantrum. It's a normal thing. But why would anyone let a child sleep in their vomit?? That's awful & cruel! And it will only make the child have a harder time going to sleep. Especially a 16 month old that has no idea what you want from his life. 20 minutes is a really normal amount of time to sit with a baby when putting to sleep.

amother
Azure

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 6:16 pm
You can't let him sleep in his vomit. I understand how frustrating it must be. I have successfully used the CIO method but I put my babies to sleep with a few minutes of nursing, so it's lighter than formula. Can you try water instead of formula, so that hopefully he won't throw up?

After 3-5 nights of changing his vomit and letting him CIO, he really should not be crying anymore btw. Did you read Marc Weissbluth's sleep training book?

BeHappy!

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 6:21 pm
Please don't let him sleep in his vomit. Say shema and put him in. When he crys go into the room calm him by telling him you're there or stroking his face. Walk out. Repeat as necessary adding a few minutes inbetween every time. Will probably go on for a week but he'll learn. You can also try a noise machine or music. Also if he's still sleeping in your room move him out.

meeze

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 6:23 pm
I was also thinking that letting him sleep.in his vomit is bad. I'm looking for alternatives that will work

meeze

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 6:25 pm
BeHappy! wrote:
Please don't let him sleep in his vomit. Say shema and put him in. When he crys go into the room calm him by telling him you're there or stroking his face. Walk out. Repeat as necessary adding a few minutes inbetween every time. Will probably go on for a week but he'll learn. You can also try a noise machine or music. Also if he's still sleeping in your room move him out.

He sleeps with a noise maker. It helps just to make him sleep but he still wakes up if I put him down.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 6:28 pm
Please dont let him sleep in vomit!!! He is definitely doing it to test you! But show him you dont get phased by his vomiting. Change him and put him back into his crib after a week he should stop doing it! Its hard work being a mom! Hatzlacha

groisamomma

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 6:32 pm
Calling a 16-month old manipulative is deranged.

I made the tremendous mistake of trying the CIO method with my oldest. I remember sitting on the floor outside his room crying along with him. If I can turn the clock back I would never, ever, do it again but especially to a child this young!

In your son's defense (not that he needs one, he's a 16-month-old, for goodness sake!) I've always had terrible gag reflex. The slightest thing makes me gag, and my food comes up very quickly. As a child, if I cried too hard I often ended up violently coughing and gagging and then throwing up. Your son is not "manipulative" he is 16 months old and gagging and vomiting is not his conscious choice. Letting him sleep in it is disgusting.

Last edited by groisamomma on Sat, Dec 07 2019, 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

subby

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 6:32 pm
meeze wrote:
I was also thinking that letting him sleep.in his vomit is bad. I'm looking for alternatives that will work

I go into my babys room every 5 min and I tell her the same thing every night. “Mommy loves you! But I will not take you out because its at night and its time to go to sleep good night” and I blow a kiss. She cries even louder when I leave but after going in the second time she knows already this is it shes doomed to stay in bed and calms down. Try it.

ohmygosh

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 6:34 pm
1. This is not child abuse. Let's not get hysterical here. If you don't agree with the CIO method, then don't do it for your kids.
2. Definitely do NOT let him sleep in his vomit.
3. A 16 month old can definitely LEARN to go to sleep on his own. My babies that age are put to bed and go to sleep happily on their own. The key is he has to be taught how to do it.
Here are my ideas:
First, the bottle should only have water. Not just for vomit reasons, but for health reasons. Start watering down his milk every night until it's only water. May take a couple of weeks.
Second, have a specific night time routine. Make sure he has some sort of comfort in his crib (pacifier, soft teddy bear, blankie).
Third, don't let him cry more than a few minutes before you go in, rub his back, say shhh gently etc, but don't take him out. Leave the room, repeat again after a couple of minutes. This way he sees you're not leaving him, but on the same token, you're not taking him out. After a few nights of this, the amount of times you need to go back into the room should lessen, until you don't need to go back in at all.

Sebastian

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 6:37 pm
It doesn't seem that cio is a good method for him
Look into ferber

trixx

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 6:39 pm
ohmygosh wrote:
1. This is not child abuse. Let's not get hysterical here. If you don't agree with the CIO method, then don't do it for your kids.
2. Definitely do NOT let him sleep in his vomit.
3. A 16 month old can definitely LEARN to go to sleep on his own. My babies that age are put to bed and go to sleep happily on their own. The key is he has to be taught how to do it.
Here are my ideas:
First, the bottle should only have water. Not just for vomit reasons, but for health reasons. Start watering down his milk every night until it's only water. May take a couple of weeks.
Second, have a specific night time routine. Make sure he has some sort of comfort in his crib (pacifier, soft teddy bear, blankie).
Third, don't let him cry more than a few minutes before you go in, rub his back, say shhh gently etc, but don't take him out. Leave the room, repeat again after a couple of minutes. This way he sees you're not leaving him, but on the same token, you're not taking him out. After a few nights of this, the amount of times you need to go back into the room should lessen, until you don't need to go back in at all.

No one said cio is child abuse. I said letting him sleep in his vomit would be.

groisamomma

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 6:43 pm
ohmygosh wrote:

This!

ectomorph

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 6:48 pm
My doctor said I could do 1/4 mg melatonin. My child had a difficult to diagnose condition that made it difficult to fall asleep. Better than abusing your child.

Learning

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 7:08 pm
CIO is child abuse in my opinion. It’s a human being. You wouldn’t do it your friend or even a stranger. Why would you let someone scream in a dark room by himself. It is difficult to have children. If you can’t handle it don’t have so many. Chazal said if a mother let her child cry for nothing she will pay for it in shamayim. I’m sorry but that’s the truth.

Bruria

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 8:07 pm
What about putting a mattress on the floor in your room? That way he might sleep and not wake you up, some kids are more needy than others, it's a personality thing.

amother
Lime

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 8:13 pm
We had the exact same problem when my son was the same age. He would cry hysterically for 5-10 minutes and then throw up. We received the exact same advice to let him sleep in it but I could't do it. I stopped giving him a night bottle and put a foam wedge under his mattress so he wasn't totally flat and it worked! The dr. said the amount of milk combined with lying flat right afterward could make him throw up. We thought he'd have a really hard time foregoing the night bottle but he didn't even notice.
If your baby does notice the missing bottle, I would try to wean him off it slowly and I would definitely try the wedge so he doesn't lie flat.
This is the one we got:
https://www.target.com/p/baby-.....aw.ds

Now he's 2 so he just sleeps with a pillow
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics