Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Bosch or bread machine
Previous  1  2

jsb

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 12:13 pm
I got a Bosch so that I could make 5 lb recipes but I personally find it to be such a hassle to take out, clean, and then deal with so much dough at once. I switched to making 1/2 recipes by hand and am much happier with that. But I do lose out on being able to make the Brocha Sad

Metukah

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 12:17 pm
I have both. Haven't touched my bosch in over a year. Use my bread machine daily.
I make a loaf of bread every day. Make a batch of dough for rolls 1-2 times per week. Make a Challah dough once or twice a week. Make babka, rogelach and cinnabuns dough in the machine.
I find challos way way easier to make in the bread machine, but obviously quantity is way smaller.
A bread machine isn't a huge investment. I would say that if you don't need large batches buy a bread machine now. They don't last forever. In a few years get a bosch.
I would recommend Panasonic.

M0mmy

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 12:19 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Are there a lot of crevices (stainless steel)?
The whole reason I would purchase the Bosch is because I hated that dough got stuck in my old upright mixer, got moldy and gross.
I haven't made challah since I started this thread- was going to purchase the Bosch with the stainless steel bowl.

The crevices I'm aware of are part of the lid. I think the lid is the same. I've never had the dough come out, or get really moldy, but was annoyed I couldn't clean it 100%.

M0mmy

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 12:22 pm
jsb wrote:
I got a Bosch so that I could make 5 lb recipes but I personally find it to be such a hassle to take out, clean, and then deal with so much dough at once. I switched to making 1/2 recipes by hand and am much happier with that. But I do lose out on being able to make the Brocha Sad

For the reasons I wrote about above (not cleaning properly, grease coming out), I stopped using my Bosch, and was making my 5lb recipe by hand. It's really not such a big deal, but while doing it, I sometimes miss my Bosch (why I hope to get the SS bowl). For me, I'd rather go through all that and make the 5lb and freeze some, then have to make challah every week or 2. (To each their own Smile)

Mandolin

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 9:58 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
My mixer probably needs to be replaced because dough keeps getting stuck on top, and then becoming moldy and falling out into the next batch... eww... I tried cleaning it out but it's impossible.
Do I get a Bosch or a bread maker? I've been making a whole wheat challah recipe with 9 cups of flour, so I'm not making 5 lbs... I want something that'll yield a delicious product. Any thoughts? And if I should go with a bread machine, any recommendations?

What mixer do you currently have? I would like to know so I don't ever buy one. My kitchen aid mixer is only a few years old (I have the larger one.) and I don't expect to be replacing it any time soon. I hope this isn't the one you have. I'd like to know for future gifts and if it's the one I have I want to do whatever I can to prevent it. Thanks.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 10:13 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Are there a lot of crevices (stainless steel)?
The whole reason I would purchase the Bosch is because I hated that dough got stuck in my old upright mixer, got moldy and gross.
I haven't made challah since I started this thread- was going to purchase the Bosch with the stainless steel bowl.

I find that if you wash it right away nothing gets stuck.

allthingsblue

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 10:21 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I find that if you wash it right away nothing gets stuck.

Thanks. I ordered it and can't wait!

sky

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 10:30 pm
I make challah every week in my bread machine. It’s 2 1/2 lb machine and I use 6.5 cups flour. We are a family of 8 and it’s perfect amount of challah.

I rarely take out my Bausch. I find making challah a full day affair and it’s a pain to clean. Bread machine is simple to clean.

The only time I use my Bausch is before a 2 or 3 day yom tov. And even then it’s sometimes easier to just do 2 batches in bread machine.

rachel6543

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 10:37 pm
I have a bread machine and use it a few times a week to bake sandwich bread for my family. Also, sometimes I bake challah in it (obviously won’t be shaped nicely). If you want the ability to easily make small loaves of bread and dough, then this is great little tool. Otherwise if your main goal is large batches of dough, then get something like a Bosch.

I personally don’t regularly make large batches of dough, so a bread machine is perfect for me. Also, since having my last baby (plus I work full time), I just don’t have the time/energy these days to regularly make challah the traditional way. I can handle dumping ingredients into the bread machine, pressing a button and walking away to do something else. Otherwise we get store bought challah (so happy Trader Joe’s by me now carries challah).

I will say, if you have the room in your home and if it’s in your budget, then you may just want to consider getting one of each. If you watch for sales, especially this time of the year, you can find bread machines sometimes as cheap as $40-$50. I find my bread machines last only about 3-4 yrs. Right now I have an Oster brand bread machine, my mom gifted it to me after my last one died. It’s been a good little machine, used between 1-4 times a week for 2-3 yrs now. And it makes a good loaf of sandwich bread.

M0mmy

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 1:13 am
rachel6543 wrote:
I have a bread machine and use it a few times a week to bake sandwich bread for my family. Also, sometimes I bake challah in it (obviously won’t be shaped nicely). If you want the ability to easily make small loaves of bread and dough, then this is great little tool. Otherwise if your main goal is large batches of dough, then get something like a Bosch.

Maybe things are different, but I remember that my parents' bread machine had a blade that would stay in the loaf if you baked it in there, too. That would be problematic for a shelaimah for challah, no?

Metukah

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 5:28 am
M0mmy wrote:
Maybe things are different, but I remember that my parents' bread machine had a blade that would stay in the loaf if you baked it in there, too. That would be problematic for a shelaimah for challah, no?

If that's the way the Challah is baked it's still considered a sheleima. If the hole was made after baking it would be a problem.

M0mmy

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 3:08 pm
Metukah wrote:
If that's the way the Challah is baked it's still considered a sheleima. If the hole was made after baking it would be a problem.

Isn't It made after baking by removing the blade?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads