Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do you really think that most people are racist?
1  2  3  Next

yo'ma

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 8:27 am
I read in one of my dh’s sports magazines from a few years ago about polls from the soccer players. The magazine was from England. One of the polls were if they ever saw experienced racism in the sport. A little over a quarter answered yes. They gave examples of the racism and from what they said, I would cut the racism in half. Why? Because while things that people have said are racist, it doesn’t mean the person is. On the field they shout at each other to rile them up and saying things like that does rile one up. Everyone is a little racist and bias, but I don’t think most people are even if in the heat of the moment they do make a racist comment. For example, if someone cuts you off while driving and the person is of another race, you might curse out their race, but is it really racist? Yes, the comment is, but for most people I don’t think it’s anything more than that. One of the players said he was called a gingy and he considered that racist. Not racist per se, but discriminatory. All in the heat of the moment and to rile one up. I’m not saying saying anything derogatory is ever okay, but I am saying, I don’t think it necessarily makes one racist. What do you think?

DrMom

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 9:00 am
yo'ma wrote:
I read in one of my dh’s sports magazines from a few years ago about polls from the soccer players. The magazine was from England. One of the polls were if they ever saw experienced racism in the sport. A little over a quarter answered yes. They gave examples of the racism and from what they said, I would cut the racism in half. Why? Because while things that people have said are racist, it doesn’t mean the person is. On the field they shout at each other to rile them up and saying things like that does rile one up. Everyone is a little racist and bias, but I don’t think most people are even if in the heat of the moment they do make a racist comment. For example, if someone cuts you off while driving and the person is of another race, you might curse out their race, but is it really racist? Yes, the comment is, but for most people I don’t think it’s anything more than that. One of the players said he was called a gingy and he considered that racist. Not racist per se, but discriminatory. All in the heat of the moment and to rile one up. I’m not saying saying anything derogatory is ever okay, but I am saying, I don’t think it necessarily makes one racist. What do you think?

I don't think most people in the US are racist.

I cannot comment on what it is like to be an English soccer player, and I cannot asses to what degree the article you read sounds reasonable.

I can see how teams which represent their country or city in international competitions (Manchster vs Barcelona players may make remarks about Brits vs Spaniards. Is that racist? Meh... probably not, IMO).

I think the current obsession with race in the US is totally over the top.

banana123

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 9:05 am
Most people are xenophobic. How they define "part of my tribe" and "not part of my tribe" varies by location and culture.

WhatFor

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 9:09 am
OP posted about England, not the US. Anyway, I think of you're yelling remarks about someone's race to them, then yeah, that's racist.

When I see someone call a chassidish person a dirty Jew good littering, yeah they're racist. The person shouldn't be littering but the person who thinks of their race when seeing that is racist.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 9:35 am
I don't know about most people, although I would hazard a guess that more than 50% of people are racist.

I am certain that most right-wing frum people are racist. The fact that there was such an outcry when Obama became president made it very obvious. These same people voted for Al Gore and John Kerry in the previous presidential elections, but suddenly, when it's a black man with the same views, people are crying and making plans to move to Israel. It was truly unbelievable.

Also, the way the word "shv@rtze" is used by right-wing people is appalling. (I'm not talking about Yiddish speakers.) I should record some of the comments I hear. They're ugly.

leah233

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 9:41 am
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:

I am certain that most right-wing frum people are racist. The fact that there was such an outcry when Obama became president made it very obvious. These same people voted for Al Gore and John Kerry in the previous presidential elections, but suddenly, when it's a black man with the same views, people are crying and making plans to move to Israel. It was truly unbelievable.

This is imagination.

Right wing frum people didn't vote for Al Gore or John Kerry and didn't move to Israel when Obama became president.

And Obama certainly did not have the exact same views as Al Gore on things like Israel or government spending.Among many other things.

A guy like Dr. Ben Carson would not have any difficulty getting support among right wing frum Jews.

Last edited by leah233 on Sun, Dec 08 2019, 9:46 am; edited 2 times in total

behappy2

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 9:43 am
Humans are programmed to be racist. How would you know who to trust, who to be wary of, who might befriend you, who to keep your distance from? We learn from our parents, society and experience. If you were harassed by males your mind helps you out by telling you males can and will harass you and keep your armour up around them. This is in essence racism. Obviously not all men will harass you but your brain will have some sort of rule to help protect you and help you live well and not have to figure out each new situation as if you never experienced it.

Let's take the guilt out of it. Of course we can be open minded and question our biases but biases do serve us.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 9:53 am
I think a lot of people, even today, sadly, have been programmed to distrust the “other,” whoever the other may be. It’s a shame, really, because focusing so much on being so afraid means less focus for things that really matter.

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 9:58 am
Everyone is a little bit racist.^TM. And yeah, if you mention someone’s race while insulting then then of course it reveals some racism on your part.

watergirl

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 9:59 am
dancingqueen wrote:
Everyone is a little bit racist.^TM. And yeah, if you mention someone’s race while insulting then then of course it reveals some racism on your part.

..... and now that song is in my head.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 10:04 am
banana123 wrote:
Most people are xenophobic. How they define "part of my tribe" and "not part of my tribe" varies by location and culture.

Exactly. I think we are tribal by nature. Just because a group is "other", does not automatically make it bad or good. It simply is.

The thing is, we have a yetzer hara and a yetzer tov, and we have seichel. We need to realize when it is our best interest to invest our energies in "our tribe", and when to be open to learning and making connections to "other tribes".

marina

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 10:06 am
yo'ma wrote:
For example, if someone cuts you off while driving and the person is of another race, you might curse out their race, but is it really racist?

taking the negative interaction you had with one person of a particular race, ethnicity, or religion, and attributing those negative characteristics to the entire group is the very definition of bigotry.

DrMom

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 10:12 am
I don't know about most people, although I would hazard a guess that more than 50% of people are racist.

I am certain that [b]most right-wing frum people are racist. The fact that there was such an outcry when Obama became president made it very obvious. These same people voted for Al Gore and John Kerry in the previous presidential elections, but suddenly, when it's a black man with the same views, people are crying and making plans to move to Israel. It was truly unbelievable.[/b]

Also, the way the word "shv@rtze" is used by right-wing people is appalling. (I'm not talking about Yiddish speakers.) I should record some of the comments I hear. They're ugly.

That is an over-simplistic analysis, tarring millions of voters with a racist brush with no evidence whatsoever.

Obama and Gore held different opinions, espoused different policies, and are different people. Why does voting for one of them mean you must vote for the other? And why does deciding not to vote for one of them automatically deem you a racist?

I think people are pretty sick and tired of these sorts of baseless accusations and race-based hysteria.

nicole81

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 10:15 am
I do think most people are racist, overtly or not. In my opinion, denying the existence of institutionalized racism, and whitewashing its impact, is also racist.

browser

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 10:15 am
I dont think most people are racist. I think the. Media loves to create divisions between people.
Also I think people confuse connection with your own culture and heritage as being racist.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 10:30 am

im chassidish and I think most people to the left ate racist to the jews on the right. cv not to non jews.

Ravenclaw

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 11:08 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Exactly. I think we are tribal by nature. Just because a group is "other", does not automatically make it bad or good. It simply is.

The thing is, we have a yetzer hara and a yetzer tov, and we have seichel. We need to realize when it is our best interest to invest our energies in "our tribe", and when to be open to learning and making connections to "other tribes".

This. If you take (Harvard's?) implicit subconscious test, it is scary. But that's why awareness is so important, and we must be aware of our biases so that we can work on them.

My personal pet peeve is when people mix up racism with demographics. They say things like, "well statistically speaking Race X has more incidence of crime Y, so yeah, of course, I believe that am and scared when I see someone from Race X."

This is so ridiculous fr a few reasons. First of all, each culture and group will have higher incidences of different crimes, but that doesn't mean that there are "safe" races. Also, this is usually caused by socioeconomic factors, not race, but you wouldn't know the difference from the way people talk. Third of all, and this is the most important point, just because a certain group may have more {insert problem} does not mean that most do! A kidnapper is seven times more likely to be male than female, but that doesn't mean that men are inherently kidnappers. Or that now I won't trust men. Or that most men are kidnappers.

icebreaker

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 11:09 am
There's a documentary called Why We Hate on Discovery that is amazing (not saying anyone here hates anyone!). There's also an episode on tribalism that is really eye-opening.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 11:46 am
Everyone ask yourself a question:

If you have a repairman come to fix your fridge, does it make any difference to you if he's white, black, or Arab?

Honest answer to yourself. You don't have to answer the question publicly.

gold21

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 11:54 am
I don't know....

But it's a two way street.

Don't believe anyone who tries to sell you the lie that only white people are racist. That's a blatant lie.

There's racism on all sides.

But only one side gets called out for it.

Do I believe racism is acceptable? No.

I think it's terrible, and needs to be called out on all sides every time.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics