Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Would you fly with a 1.5 Month old for y"t?
Previous  1  2

EishesYo

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 5:01 pm
I flew with a 5 week old.... over the Atlantic for pesach. Was the best flight! He slept I pumped and gave him bottles.... hatzlacha!

banana123

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 5:06 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
There is whooping cough in Chicago and NY. I wouldn't fly to those places

If she gets a DTaP while pregnant, at least 2 weeks before delivery, then a 6wo baby should be protected against whooping cough.

To answer the OP's question, no, I would not. Make a simple Pesach at home/ see if people can help with cooking and cleaning. Including hiring help.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 6:44 pm
Lots of food for thought here.

To me the part that concerns me most is the germs.
I have another 2 kids, baby's older siblings, so the flight won't be relaxing no matter if baby sleeps or not.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 6:48 pm
banana123 wrote:
If she gets a DTaP while pregnant, at least 2 weeks before delivery, then a 6wo baby should be protected against whooping cough.

To answer the OP's question, no, I would not. Make a simple Pesach at home/ see if people can help with cooking and cleaning. Including hiring help.

The dtap helps for exposure from the mother.

It helps on a statistical level, but once you know there's an outbreak, its a different level of danger.

amother
Papaya

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 6:55 pm
I wouldn't do it under the circumstances you described. The meals will be hard. You will need to move the baby a lot if you're also taking care of your other kids. You will be tired and won't be able to put the kids to bed during or before the night meals. I don't know if you plan to nurse, but if so, where will you do that? And to do this and still make Pesach for being home a few days seems like way too much.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 6:57 pm
Very good point about the nursing!

amother
Coffee

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 7:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Very good point about the nursing!

It’s either go away for whole or make whole pesach. I had an 6 week old pesach I would not recommend it to anyone! I would rather have gone Away without great circumstances then have been home remember the older siblings will be off week before pesach.

amother
Magenta

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 7:22 pm
I think it depends if you will have it easier or harder while you’re away..
When my kids were small I hated going away... no one slept well and I had a hard time with my kids. I ended up barely sleeping at night and being excruciatingly tired during the day.
If you know you will be in good hands and your family will help you then go for it. But if you think you might be run ragged.... stay put!
It’s not so much the newborn, it’s everything together.. but if your family is where you want to be more than anything then you’ll feel better with them.

amother
Pearl

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 7:28 pm
Of course!

I did it at 3 weeks, five hour flight.

Much easier than making pesach with a tiny baby!

amother
Rose

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 7:41 pm
I flew to London with my 2 month old. Dr said to buy another seat next to me and keep baby in a car seat. No problem.

cbg

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 7:42 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
My friend did it she bought a mask for baby they sell them to protect from germs like they use in hospitals for newborns

I would totally do it I made pesach with a 6 month old it was murder. Even if u have to walk etc. I would skip bringing in the pesach altogether

Yes
Agree with mask
And I would also get this
https://www.amazon.com/Crocnfr.....44744
To put over stroller/bassinet

amother
Coffee

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 7:48 pm
cbg wrote:
Yes
Agree with mask
And I would also get this
https://www.amazon.com/Crocnfr.....44744
To put over stroller/bassinet

Btw that was a mistake my baby was a 6 week old and just realized the mistake

joyful mom

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 9:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I won't have my own room. All meals will take place in a small apartment in a building across the street/down the block from our sleeping accommodations.
I can use blankets and make a rule that no kids can touch.

I wouldn’t for the reason alone that the meals will not be at the same place where you’ll be sleeping. For me it would not be worth it to shlep out every single meal and also not to have the option put the the kids to sleep before or during the meals.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 10:47 pm
My pediatrician was totally OK with us flying with a six day old baby. She said to keep the baby close to me and away from people. I was surprised at her answer but we did it and it was no problem at all. So happy we did it.

So my answer is absolutely!

banana123

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 9:11 am
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
The dtap helps for exposure from the mother.

It helps on a statistical level, but once you know there's an outbreak, its a different level of danger.

No, the DTaP allows for the development of high enough levels of antibodies that there is a significant transfer of pertussis antibodies to the baby.

However if there is an outbreak the antibodies may get used up, since by definition placental antibodies are finite in number and intended to provide protection until baby can make his/her own antibodies.

You could also ask your pediatrician if breastmilk provides immunity from pertussis.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 10:41 am
No way!

I made pesach (no spring cleaning and no 7 course meals. No one was hungry) with a four week old baby. Yes I did have help from my husband.

I wouldn’t chance the baby ending up in the hospital.

It’s the 4/6 months vaccinations that’s protect the child.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 12:21 pm
Ok, leaning towards no based on these responses.

banana123

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 12:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ok, leaning towards no based on these responses.

Look, in all honesty we flew for Pesach with a baby younger than yours.
It was our first, we were young, stupid, and naive, and there were no outbreaks of anything at the time.
We had a horrible time leading up to the flight but after we got there it was great. We stayed where we were eating, though, and there was zero pressure on me to do anything except relax and nurse the baby. We were a young couple and got what felt like royal treatment.
It worked out well, but again, the conditions were totally different than what you're describing, which sounds like a lot of stress in order to avoid the stress of making chag. To me if the only reason you're traveling is that you want to avoid the stress of making chag, then there are better ways to do it, that won't leave you exhausted and juggling so much.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 12:52 pm
I've traveled internationally with a 3 week old. It was for my sister's wedding though. Flight was fine!

When I had a baby 3 weeks before pesach. I didn't want to travel a few days after the bris so I ended up getting my sister to fly over and help me out for pesach instead.

I wouldn't be so worried about the flight, it sounds like it would be more stressful though to go away based on your sleeping and eating arrangements. To have to go out for every meal with the baby and 2 kids, plus not being able to put kids to sleep sounds very tough, not relaxing at all!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics