Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Poor middle class

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 9:29 pm
We BH make a nice income, but I literally feel poor.
We have enough for basics, but not more. Everyone around me always gets the latest everything, sends their kids to Sunday programs etc ...
Just a vent
I am so thankful to Hashem for providing us with what we need, but I just feel like we work so hard for our money and don't even get any extra enjoyment from it. Oh well, I guess that's life...

hodeez

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 9:39 pm
Everyone around you is probably on government programs, that's why they're able to afford the extras. Don't look around, you'll be much happier with what you have

amother
Jetblack

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 9:57 pm
hodeez wrote:
Everyone around you is probably on government programs, that's why they're able to afford the extras. Don't look around, you'll be much happier with what you have

A side effect of government programs is that there is an income bracket in which you literally have to be poor for a living because if you earn a little more, you lose more than that in programs and won't be able to make ends meet. This is, of course, terrible for the economy.

hodeez

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 10:21 pm
I BH just landed a nice paying job and had to say goodbye to Medicaid and food stamps. Now all my money literally goes to food and healthcare! It's painful but hopefully when I get a higher position in the company it will be better 🤷

leah233

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 10:26 pm
The "war against poverty" that was started fifty five years and ushered in all the entitlement programs would be more accurately described if they called it "the war against the middle class".

watergirl

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 10:29 pm
hodeez wrote:

Due to the special circumstances in the frum world, we all live amongst each other, unlike much of the rest of the country who tend to live among other people in the same socioeconomic bracket as themselves. It is entirely possible that the people who live near OP are not all on government programs like you are assuming… I’m not even sure why you would make that kind of statement. There’s no reason to assume anything.

itsmeima

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 11:18 pm
I’m guessing you live in the US!

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 1:11 am
leah233 wrote:
The "war against poverty" that was started fifty five years and ushered in all the entitlement programs would be more accurately described if they called it "the war against the middle class".

It is a war on middle class. It incentivizes people not to earn more so won't lose their government benefits. But this stops UPWARD mobility.

The Democrats benefit as those on government handouts vote Democrat.
The working class/middle class is moving towards Republicans because
they want more jobs and lower taxes.

[please do not post further about politics in this forum, start a spin off in the politics forum to discuss further. - mod]

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 10:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We BH make a nice income, but I literally feel poor.
We have enough for basics, but not more. Everyone around me always gets the latest everything, sends their kids to Sunday programs etc ...
Just a vent
I am so thankful to Hashem for providing us with what we need, but I just feel like we work so hard for our money and don't even get any extra enjoyment from it. Oh well, I guess that's life...

I can relate. I grew up in a community where I was lower-middle-class surrounded by affluent upper-middle-class. It really warped my perception of how normal people live and what happiness with what I have feels like. I sympathize but don't have great advice for you, other than try to focus on your own life and happiness.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 10:25 pm
Tuition does this. If your full tuition would be around $80,000, and that's after taxes, then yes you can be earning $200,000 which is a decent salary in the rest of the world, but still begging the schools to take your kids and allow you some breaks. In which case you feel guilty for every time you order pizza.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics