Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Did you kasher flat stove top

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 8:31 pm
Asking for a friend. If you were given the okay to kasher a flat top stove, how did you do it? My friend is looking for a rav to call to guide her on how to do it if it can be done. Chabad rav preferable. Tia.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 8:39 pm
We were told we could, also Chabad. Can't remember which Rav, now! Possibly Rabbi Schapiro in Miami.

We were told to elevate a metal blech over the glass top using balls of foil, and turn the burners to maximum heat for 15-30 minutes or so.

She should ask her regular Rav, there are definitely multiple opinions on this one.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 9:27 pm
I think the biggest problem is if you get it to a temperature hot enough to kasher you risk cracking the glass.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 10:18 pm
Thanks for the replies. I feel like leaving it on for so long would crack the glass. I wonder if it's possible to just turn the elements on until they glow like one does with a coil top electric stove rather than leave it on for so long. If anyone has contact info of a rav who allows it please post the info. Tia.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 11:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I feel like leaving it on for so long would crack the glass. I wonder if it's possible to just turn the elements on until they glow like one does with a coil top electric stove rather than leave it on for so long. If anyone has contact info of a rav who allows it please post the info. Tia.

We kosher ours for pesach by turning the burners on for 15 minutes on high. I cover the non burner areas for pesach so no idea about the blech thing. It is true that many hold that if you could break something by Kashering it, in many cases, one cannot do it for fear that you’ll go easy because afraid to damage it but in the other hand, it’s pretty mainstream to at least kosher the burners by leaving them on high. I’d ask a rabbi, personally.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 1:16 am
Elevating the blech was supposed to prevent the issue of the glass cracking, while allowing the heat of the stovetop to spread past the specific burner areas.

I know many Rabbonim don't allow kashering glass tops at all... (a new stove is $400, fwiw.)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 8:49 am
Many rabbonim want people to avoid buying glass tops because of kashering issues but once one has one will give eitzos on how to kasher it. Big difference, and actually common in the field of kashrus to have a l'chatchila and a bdi eved when talking about a lot of $$$$.

A new stove is more than $400, at least with self-clean. With Black Friday sales, the cheapest I found was like $438, that's not typical price. And the new coil burners present a different issue possibly. They changed last summer. I have not yet gotten a clear psak on them to say definitely spend money and switch from glass top. Most rabbonim would not say to do that at all if someone already has a functioning stove! (The new burners also have terrible reviews for cooking purposes, leaving kashrus aside!)

flmommy

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 9:30 am
Make sure you remove the knobs if possible.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen