Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Chanukah party for teenage boys- menu?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 8:12 pm
Hi all,

My husband wants to start a tradition of making a Chanukah party for his students, he teaches high school boys. We did one last year and they loved it, we had sliders, chicken fingers, latkes, and Franks in blankets. Everything was a hit except the Franks in blankets. (And the salad I made that no one paid attention to Wink )

Looking for a couple more ideas that would go over well with hungry teen boys that won't bankrupt me Smile

Thanks!!

mfb

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 8:14 pm
Cholent, potato kugel

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 8:18 pm
Chips n salsa
Potato kugel
Rolls with dips
Deli platter
Pulled beef

simcha2

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 8:18 pm
You could do plain hot dogs with buns and fixings (sauerkraut, grilled onions etc.) In place of the pigs in blankets. Assuming they're washing if you're having sliders

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 8:31 pm
I always did rolls with cold cut platters, pickles, and chips, and pareve ice cream and doughnuts for my husband's talmidim. Soda or water to drink. Anything else got wasted.

dankbar

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 8:59 pm
kishka. potato kugel. yerushalmi kugel. papitas.

MiriFr

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 9:01 pm
-Egg rolls
-Sesame chicken
-A gigantic pan of pulled beef with tacos on the side
-lo mein
-subs
-deli platter

And then send me the leftovers

mfb

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 9:21 pm
MiriFr wrote:
-Egg rolls
-Sesame chicken
-A gigantic pan of pulled beef with tacos on the side
-lo mein
-subs
-deli platter

And then send me the leftovers

I don’t think there will be any leftovers. You are talking about feeding Teenage Boys!!!

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 10:10 pm
Noodles and cabbage with pastrami.

Saute onions and cabbage. Add pastrami. Then mix in cooked noodles, a little duck sauce and black pepper. Goes a long way with hungry boys.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 10:14 pm
Pastrami bourekas instead of franks in blanks?
Cole slaw and pickles instead of the salad?

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 10:19 pm
Poppers. The YU open house this year had poppers, deli sandwiches and potato knishes (midday!) and it got wiped out. I agree with chulent and potato kugel.

dankbar

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 11:14 pm
Deli roll. stuffed cabbage.

momofboys

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 11:24 pm
Sushi platter..cold cuts platter..potato kugel..sesame chicken

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 11:31 am
Just checked back in to this thread and wow so many cool responses!! Thank you!!

Was actually thinking about pulled brisket but I have no idea how it's served- I can just put out tacos and they would put the brisket inside? Would there be any toppings I could make? I love that idea and would love to make it fun.

Love the eggroll idea too.

It's not going to be a Thursday night so cholent is out I think, and potato kugel might be overkill with the latkes. I personally hate deli so never would have thought of a deli platter lol but will think about that one.

Thanks all!! This was so helpful!!

MiriFr

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 11:43 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Just checked back in to this thread and wow so many cool responses!! Thank you!!

Was actually thinking about pulled brisket but I have no idea how it's served- I can just put out tacos and they would put the brisket inside? Would there be any toppings I could make? I love that idea and would love to make it fun.

Love the eggroll idea too.

It's not going to be a Thursday night so cholent is out I think, and potato kugel might be overkill with the latkes. I personally hate deli so never would have thought of a deli platter lol but will think about that one.

Thanks all!! This was so helpful!!

You just keep the meat in a pan, and tacos, small bowls of tomatoes, corn, avocados, etc...next to it.

AOM

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 12:02 pm
I've done pulled brisket with baguettes and Ive also made Chili - both big hits!
poppers also always goes but its a real pain to make!

Stars

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 12:06 pm
Check with your husband for sure if cholent is out. The men in my house can eat cholent every day of the week (except maybe Sunday) and it's a cheap way to satisfy a crowd.

jewishmom6

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 12:16 pm
pretzel chicken fingers

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 1:11 pm
MiriFr wrote:
You just keep the meat in a pan, and tacos, small bowls of tomatoes, corn, avocados, etc...next to it.

No, the vegetables will just sit on the table wasted. They will not touch them, that's better for an adult party. Better a pan of meat and a pan of rice with taco shells. But I really think taco shells are too unconventional for bachurim anyway. Stick with cold cuts, shnitzel, potato knishes, latkes, or kugel, sesame chicken, poppers, hamburgers, or hotdogs. Maybe chulent on a week night. They don't want cute or creative, trust me, just foods you would get at a Kosher Bite fast food type place.

tichellady

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 1:27 pm
Pizza, latkes and Greek salad
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics