Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How do I change him?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 8:44 pm
Not exchange him, just literally change his diaper??

He is kah very active. He’s almost a year.I can’t change his diaper or bathe him or dress him. He twists and turns and runs away. When it’s a dirty diaper I get so annoyed. I tried while he was standing but he wiggles out. I tried distracting him with a toy ... he loses interest in a second. By the time he is dressed I feel like I need a shower.

Bh for such “problems”. He’s the cutest little thing ever! Just wondering if there are any tricks to keep him down. Also when I bathe him he turns to his stomach and wants to drink the water. It’s impossible to wash his head.

HeartyAppetite

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 8:59 pm
Try to sing silly songs when changing his diaper like old McDonald has a farm. May baby loves the animal sounds, and I make it very exaggerated and with hand motions. In the bath, I give my baby a cup with a little bit of water and I lay her down so I could wash her head. The cup with the water keeps her busy till I’m done with the hair.

imasinger

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 9:15 pm
Sometimes, you need more than one thing at once.

A toy for each hand, plus a silly song.

A game. Peekaboo. Or, what we do. My kids and grandkids love it when I puff out my cheeks and use their feet to push them in, while I make raspberries. Catch them at the right time, and they'll lie down on demand just to play.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 9:19 pm
Let him watch a video on your phone. He needs 2 hands to hold the phone. I would only use this for dirty diapers because you don't want him getting so used to it.

essie14

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 5:02 am
Eeensy weensy spider. He has to use his hands to do the motions.
And toys that he needs to hold with both hands.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 8:10 am
A bottle! My little guy would still be in a dirty diaper from two weeks ago if he didn't have a bottle. It's still a struggle but oh so much better

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 8:16 am
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
Let him watch a video on your phone. He needs 2 hands to hold the phone. I would only use this for dirty diapers because you don't want him getting so used to it.

Please don't do this. No kid this young needs a screen.

jfk92

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 8:18 am
With the others. Two cold teething rings one in each hand. And some silly song.

kollel wife

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 10:52 am
My pediatrician's office showed me how, when they were giving shots. If you're a rightee-Lay your left leg across his waist to hold him somewhat, and then use both hands to change the diaper. Certainly give him toys to hold as well.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 10:53 am
You can also buy diapers that dont have tabs and u can just pull them up like pull up pants.

bsy

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 12:22 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Please don't do this. No kid this young needs a screen.

I'm as anti screens as it gets, but my fifteen month old occasionally watches a video of himself or his sister on my phone if he won't let me change a dirty diaper. Its better than getting me all dirty and running all over the house....

Busy@mom

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 12:29 pm
I have the same issue with my 18 month old. You got some great ideas here, OP.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 12:31 pm
Change him on the floor with your leg over his waist. You have two hands to change him and he can't run away/turn over. Your leg holds him in place but isn't tight. None of the distraction methods worked for my super active kid. And he wiggled out of any grip.

Ok, let's be honest. I've only had this issue with my son. My girls never made me do a workout just to change them.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 12:45 pm
Same problem here!

my baby is 16 months and by now he knows that diaper time is silly time and he LOVES it.

We sing silly songs.
play peekaboo.
make shhhhh with his finger to his lips (he loves this, don't ask me why. whatever works right?)
A teething toy in each hand. this one doesn't always work.
a Musical toy. always works.
Just plain talking to him non stop. he loves the interaction. chatting about where all his siblings are interests him especially.
teaching him new words. it's fascinating for him to watch me articulate words strongly and he tries to repeat them.

Sometimes he doesn't want any of these things but even just getting him to say "no no" to "let's play peekaboo" gives me enough time to quickly get the job done.

Good luck! Enjoy your cutie!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics