Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Could Samoa happen in contiguous America?
1  2  3  4  Next

southernbubby

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 1:26 pm
65 deaths, mostly children under 4, and around 4500 cases. Economy, government, and schools shut down. Now the outbreak has affected a US territory with it's own government, American Samoa.
Samoans are among the least healthy people on the planet. Their traditional diet has been replaced with cheap processed junk and breast feeding rates are low. 75% of Samoans are obese.
Apparently the factor that killed the children was an aggressive form of pneumonia that is usually not seen with measles but is often fatal.
Many Samoans are now getting vaccines after exposure in order to either prevent the disease or the severity of the disease.
The situation reminds me of inner-city Americans and I wonder if this could happen in a similar population.

nchr

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 1:55 pm
Probably not because inner city Americans generally vaccinate, but we could see an increase in measles cases and associated complications such as those we saw with this most recent outbreak (such as hospitalizations including in the ICU, some level of temporary and permanent deafness and blindness, cognitive impairment, etc chv). I find it personally appalling that a 10 month old child in Monsey has permanent severe brain damage from a vaccine preventable illness, but is the reality. We'll probably also see more complications associated with other VPD such as pertussis, HIB, etc. We also has superior medical Infrastructure when compared to a place like Samoa.

As a country, we also have a serious obesity problem, including in children, which brings heart disease, diabetes, etc. So we need to find effective ways to counteract and control that and get Americans healthier.

ora_43

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 2:39 pm
The problem isn't obesity, it's the low vaccine rate together with an overwhelmed medical system (not many hospitals are prepared for that many kids to fall seriously ill all at once anywhere, let alone in a poorer country).

Look at the Philippines, their obesity rate is lower than America's, but there were several hundred deaths there too, and a similar overall fatality rate.

If the vaccine rate in America were to drop as low as they did in Samoa or the Philippines, then yeah, America could have a similar outbreak. Whether in the inner city or anywhere else lots of non-vaccinated people live in the same area. Better medical care would probably mean more lives saved, but even the best medical care can't save everyone.

zaq

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 6:59 pm
World’s biggest and most dangerous self-deluding lie:
“It can’t happen here.”

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 8:10 pm
US autism rate is 1:36. I think we have a toxic soup of alot of issues in the US. What is the autism rate in Samoa?

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 8:37 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
US autism rate is 1:36. I think we have a toxic soup of alot of issues in the US. What is the autism rate in Samoa?

I wouldn’t believe the autism rate. Living in Lakewood, every family has one or two kids diagnosed because that’s what you need to get services from insurance. The whole thing is a scam.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 8:41 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
I wouldn’t believe the autism rate. Living in Lakewood, every family has one or two kids diagnosed because that’s what you need to get services from insurance. The whole thing is a scam.

Actually I work in a NYC public school... a melting pot of cultures and immigrants. Our current kindergarten has a diagnosed (not faked) autism rate of 1:25...
And the 1:36 is the CDC published rate!!

southernbubby

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 9:15 pm

I can't find statistics. The whole island only has about 200,000 people and they are not the most developed country.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 10:53 pm
Actually I work in a NYC public school... a melting pot of cultures and immigrants. Our current kindergarten has a diagnosed (not faked) autism rate of 1:25...

Autism is an umbrella diagnosis today, in the past many such kids were simply slow, learning disabled, globally delayed, etc. Or had Aspergers. now everytjhing is called autism, which is why the numbers are so much higher...

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 10:58 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Autism is an umbrella diagnosis today, in the past many such kids were simply slow, learning disabled, globally delayed, etc. Or had Aspergers. now everytjhing is called autism, which is why the numbers are so much higher...

But I am the same person and I know the numbers I saw 15 years ago vs what I see now... I knew who was autistic then and I know who is autistic now...
I feel like saying this is a "cop out" and making society not address the issue. I have plenty of others in Kindergarteb who are globally delayed. I didnt count those...
And even if you say everything is autism, is it ok for 1:36 children to be delayed. Dont you find that concerning, when even the CDC admits the numbers are on the rise and they dont know why. The current mantra is to accept neuro diversity which I am all for, once someone is neuro diverse, but do we need 1:10 people to be neuro diverse.
If we take away vaccines, what is it and who is going to stop it.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 10:59 pm

Why are you specifically bringing up autism? Is there another reason that anti-vaxers are saying that there is a correlation?

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 11:01 pm
But I am the same person and I know the numbers I saw 15 years ago vs what I see now... I knew who was autistic then and I know who is autistic now...
I feel like saying this is a "cop out" and making society not address the issue. I have plenty of others in K who are globally delayed. I didnt count those...

What was the official rate 15 years ago? Are more vaccines being given now than 15 years ago? In any case, I thought that the basic vaccines, mmr and dpt, are given similarly as in the past (or if anything, are now in weaker form)

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 11:03 pm

No idea . Probably because the kids dont make it to age 5 to get a proper diagnosis.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 11:04 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
What was the official rate 15 years ago? Are more vaccines being given now than 15 years ago? In any case, I thought that the basic vaccines, mmr and dpt, are given similarly as in the past (or if anything, are now in weaker form)

I wasn't exclusively referring to vaccines. I think US has a whole lotta toxic stuff going on, but was curious if in Samoa being a 3rd world country with ppl who seem to have become vaccine skeptics, I was wondering if the rates were different.

sky

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 11:33 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:

We also have more

WiFi
Cell phones
GPS
GMO
Chemicals
Birth control usage
BPA
pesticides
radiation
less infants dying
people having children at an older age
pollution
Drugs and OTC medicines
Smelly baby mattresses
And a host of other new things in our lives

Not sure Why vaccines?

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 11:40 pm
sky wrote:
We also have more

WiFi
Cell phones
GPS
GMO
Chemicals
Birth control usage
BPA
pesticides
radiation
less infants dying
pollution
Drugs and OTC medicines
Smelly baby mattresses

Not sure Why vaccines?

I want all this studied!

sky

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 12:01 am
I want all this studied!

Another examples is sonograms - everyone has sonograms. Supposedly it’s safe. But there are known risks. Let’s say we don’t know enough about the risks. Ultrasound waves can heat tissue. It can produce pockets of gas. There are long lasting affects that aren’t known. even the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine have advocated prudent use of ultrasound imaging in pregnancy.

And yet everyone has multiple sonograms - but shots are terrifying.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 12:07 am
sky wrote:
We also have more

WiFi
Cell phones
GPS
GMO
Chemicals
Birth control usage
BPA
pesticides
radiation
less infants dying
pollution
Drugs and OTC medicines
Smelly baby mattresses

Not sure Why vaccines?

Thanks, this is what I was trying to articulate

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 12:15 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:

1/3 of kids with autism spectrum disorder are NON-VERBAL.

That's 1 kid in 150 - and that is not fake!

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 12:17 am
sky wrote:
We also have more

WiFi
Cell phones
GPS
GMO
Chemicals
Birth control usage
BPA
pesticides
radiation
less infants dying
pollution
Drugs and OTC medicines
Smelly baby mattresses

Not sure Why vaccines?

Because Vaccines are the only substance that thousands of parents say their children had a bad reaction and than regressed into autism.

But the other stuff could also be a cause.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics