Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
What should I ask DH to get me?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

zaq

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 9:37 am
Forgive me for being unhelpful, but what is your dh agenda? Is he looking to entertain himself, look like a gvir, discharge a social obligation....or make you happy?

If you really like jewelry, tell him that this, and only this, is what you want. What is the point of busting your chops to invent gift ideas just to be yotze? So you can have a few new shmattes cluttering up your house? These are things other imas want, not you. if you really wanted any of these things, you would know it and would have asked for them.

A tip for the future: keep a wish list. Any time you covet something or think of something you wouldn’t mind having, put it on your list. Then when dh or anyone else asks, you’ll be ready to ask for —and get —something YOU want.

Simple1

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 9:41 am
A nice cookbook .

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 9:46 am
zaq wrote:
Forgive me for being unhelpful, but what is your dh agenda? Is he looking to entertain himself, look like a gvir, discharge a social obligation....or make you happy?

To make me happy.

zaq wrote:
If you really like jewelry, tell him that this, and only this, is what you want. What is the point of busting your chops to invent gift ideas just to be yotze? So you can have a few new shmattes cluttering up your house? These are things other imas want, not you. if you really wanted any of these things, you would know it and would have asked for them.

I assume he asked because he's going to get me a nicer piece of jewelry for my birthday, and he figures that something smaller would be appropriate for Chanukah. He's not doing it just to be yotzei.

zaq wrote:
A tip for the future: keep a wish list. Any time you covet something or think of something you wouldn’t mind having, put it on your list. Then when dh or anyone else asks, you’ll be ready to ask for —and get —something YOU want.

That's a good idea - this was sort of asking for ideas for my wish list. I think that's what DH was asking.

sky

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 10:43 am
Milk frother and warmer - if you like coffee
Kitchen utensil - frying pan, stock pot, julienne peeler, zoodle maker.
Serving bowls
Covered dip bowls
Oven to table dish
Cookbook
Book

tilot37354

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 2:28 pm
A thank you note from a glowing orphan kallah whose sheital you sponsored. It'll bring you joy in the short term, and you'll enjoy dividends long term.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 2:34 pm
tilot37354 wrote:
A thank you note from a glowing orphan kallah whose sheital you sponsored. It'll bring you joy in the short term, and you'll enjoy dividends long term.

And where shall I get this money for the wonderful sheitel?

I have a SIL who is engaged and cannot afford to get married because she is in school. Any extra money I have will go towards her wedding and setting up her home.

zaq

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 2:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That's a good idea - this was sort of asking for ideas for my wish list. I think that's what DH was asking.

How did you do the multiple quote thing?

Seems to me if dh really wants to make you happy, he’ll get you what you said you wanted, even if a. He thinks it’s boring —clearly YOU don’t;
b. He’s getting you jewelry for your bday—that doesn’t preclude getting you something smaller in that category now. What, if he plans to buy you a 5-carat diamond solitaire pendant for the bday he can’t buy you a modest silver brooch for Chanukah? Aderabba, he could buy something small to match the something big he has in mind got the bday. Say a gold-and-ruby brooch for the bday and small gold-and ruby studs or a slim gold-and-ruby ring for Chanukah.

A friend of mine collects crystal bud vases the way some people collect stamps or coins or political campaign buttons. She has at least 100, but all her friends and family know that she’s game for a new one for any occasion. So that’s what people give her. Maybe she’ll grow tired of it some day but she’s been collecting for around 40 years and shows no sign of slowing down. If you love jewelry as you seem to, why can’t that be your collection? Having a collection doesn’t make individual pieces less special—on the contrary, it makes them more so.

dankbar

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 2:36 pm
Betty crocker, air fryer, instapot
massage session
An outing together
New coat/scarf/boots/gloves
new cookbook or book
nice accent in your home like wall mirror/clock/lamp

tilot37354

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 2:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
And where shall I get this money for the wonderful sheitel?

I have a SIL who is engaged and cannot afford to get married because she is in school. Any extra money I have will go towards her wedding and setting up her home.

You're a good SIL and fellow Jew. May Hashem repay your generosity כפל כפליים.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 2:45 pm
zaq wrote:
How did you do the multiple quote thing?

When you quote my post, do you see quote="amother [ OP ]" in brackets at the beginning of my post, and then /quote in brackets at the end of my post?

separated each part that I wanted to quote with the quote=zaq in brackets at the beginning and then /quote in brackets at the end.

The only thing is, Imamother has a little glitch that if you quote a post that has been separated like this, it will only quote the last part of the post, instead of the entire post. So if I want to comment on a post like this, I'll use old fashioned copy-paste and then separate the comments as I want.

(I hope that's understandable; I know it's not so clear.)

amother [ OP ] wrote:
Seems to me if dh really wants to make you happy, he’ll get you what you said you wanted, even if a. He thinks it’s boring —clearly YOU don’t;
b. He’s getting you jewelry for your bday—that doesn’t preclude getting you something smaller in that category now. What, if he plans to buy you a 5-carat diamond solitaire pendant for the bday he can’t buy you a modest silver brooch for Chanukah? Aderabba, he could buy something small to match the something big he has in mind got the bday. Say a gold-and-ruby brooch for the bday and small gold-and ruby studs or a slim gold-and-ruby ring for Chanukah.

Oh, I agree, which is why I may still ask him to get me jewelry- and he probably will. I guess he's just wondering if there's anything else I want. I liked some of the ideas here, though, and I may give him a list of options for future reference, not just for this time.

amother [ OP ] wrote:
A friend of mine collects crystal bud vases the way some people collect stamps or coins or political campaign buttons. She has at least 100, but all her friends and family know that she’s game for a new one for any occasion. So that’s what people give her. Maybe she’ll grow tired of it some day but she’s been collecting for around 40 years and shows no sign of slowing down. If you love jewelry as you seem to, why can’t that be your collection? Having a collection doesn’t make individual pieces less special—on the contrary, it makes them more so.

Exactly, which is what I'll probably tell DH.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 2:46 pm
dankbar wrote:
Betty crocker, air fryer, instapot
massage session
An outing together
New coat/scarf/boots/gloves
new cookbook or book
nice accent in your home like wall mirror/clock/lamp

I actually recommended that he get me a gift certificate for a mani/pedi or massage, since it's the kind of thing I want but rarely spend the money on. I'm not normally so into gift certificates, but this is one that would actually be appreciated.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 2:55 pm
A new budget sheitel (Anon cuz that’s what I’m getting)
A gift card to take out for dinner
A back cushion for the car
A fuzzy robe or slippers or couch blanket
A ottoman for the living room
A new book or e reader

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 2:56 pm
I'm compiling a wish list based on these ideas. Some of these are things I'd like but wouldn't have even thought to ask for as a gift. Thanks!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 4:06 pm
Watch
Wallet
Leather touch technology gloves
Planner
180s ear warmers
Faux fur scarf
Leather zipper keychain
Perfume
Robot vacuum! 😜

HeartyAppetite

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 5:45 pm
New cookbook
Evening bag
Wallet
Warm beanie
Warm fuzzy blanket

Moonlight

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 7:38 pm
I bought the cookbook I wanted and gave it to my husband and said, here is my chanuka present. Dont lose it!

amother
Black

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 7:44 pm
Where I live, the local pharmacy chain sells a wonderful perfume sampler for the holidays. It is a beautiful box with 7-10 gorgeous minis and a gift certificate to claim one full-size fragrance of your choice. For 90$ or so, it is an amazing value. I asked for it one year and now dh buys it for me every chanukah:)

yiddishmom

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 7:55 pm
I know I want a Ninja Blender for smoothies, would that interest you?

The smaller ones are $60-70.

Good luck!

gamanit

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 9:33 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
A used Kindle?

Goodwill can be good for such items- shopgoodwill.com

jewishmom6

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 6:26 am
yiddishmom wrote:
I know I want a Ninja Blender for smoothies, would that interest you?

The smaller ones are $60-70.

Good luck!

I got the personal blender as a present from someone.
I recently started using it all the time for ice coffees and milkshakes. its just so easy to use.
I hardly use my big blender anymore...
best present ever!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics