Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Is Chicago "new york-y"?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 11:14 pm
Does Chicago have more of the in-town NY environment or does it have more of an out of town feel? I understand that it's the city, so it's not going to be like living in a small town, but I'm wondering about the overall feeling in the Jewish community.

Looking into a few possible locations and Chicago is one of them.

Thank you.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 11:16 pm
Unfortunately there are a lot of New Yorkers but it still has a little bit of an oot feeling.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 11:25 pm
What circles do you run in? There are a lot of different "types" in Chicago. That'll make a difference.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 11:26 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
Unfortunately there are a lot of New Yorkers but it still has a little bit of an oot feeling.

Ouch!!!!!

Fox

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 11:27 pm
It has become a great deal more NY-y over the past 15 years or so. Of course, some of those changes are positive (more choices in consumer products and chevra) and some are negative (everything is expected to be fancier). Whether it's a net gain or loss depends on the individual.

However, like most developed Jewish communities (including NY), there are plenty of people along the full spectrum of NY-iness -- you can probably find your niche.

One note: if you move here with a strong Brookyn accent, be prepared to soften it a little. There is a fair amount of prejudice in this matter, and you may find it limits your access in some settings, particularly for women.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 1:00 am
Not sure what you mean in your question...I live in Chicago. Haven't lived in NY since I was in college so don't know what it's like really as an adult.
But I definitely don't agree with the first poster.. Would never say "unfortunately"- I'm sorry to all you New Yorkers, we're really not all so anti-NY....
I think the community has grown tremendously in number... There are multiple schools and shuls and groups, so it's not like there's one cohesive small town. There are entire large groups of people I probably never cross paths with ever, and all spectrums/types/frumkeit levels/etc. But I still feel like there is "the Chicago community" feeling of unity overall.
Not sure what else you're asking? Conveniences? Restaurants? Schools? Shuls?

ectomorph

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 4:32 am
Fox wrote:
It has become a great deal more NY-y over the past 15 years or so. Of course, some of those changes are positive (more choices in consumer products and chevra) and some are negative (everything is expected to be fancier). Whether it's a net gain or loss depends on the individual.

However, like most developed Jewish communities (including NY), there are plenty of people along the full spectrum of NY-iness -- you can probably find your niche.

One note: if you move here with a strong Brookyn accent, be prepared to soften it a little. There is a fair amount of prejudice in this matter, and you may find it limits your access in some settings, particularly for women.

How does it limit access? Do I have a strong Brooklyn accent?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 4:45 am
NO. You'll find a small crew, but honestly the whole overall feel is extreeemellly out of town. A handful of restaurants, only one or two super upscale ones, plenty of people grocery shopping in every sort of headgear ( not just in 27 inch sheitals) only one or two cute frum kids clothing stores, people buy their clothing all over, not just overpriced frum stuff...super chilled out and out of town.

sequoia

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 4:46 am
Chicago — New York with more crime, more pollution, and worse climate.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 4:48 am
sequoia wrote:
Chicago — New York with more crime.

Not in the frum areas

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 7:29 am
notshanarishona wrote:

Oof. Burn!
Maybe OP specifically wants to live sonewhere new yorky...?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 7:48 am
Chicago is Chicago -- awesome!

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 10:46 am
A lot of New Yorkers are moving out of town and even if they bring some of their standards with them, they really like the more relaxed feeling of out of town. And are very nice people. I think that even if some standards have been raised - and they would have been anyway, no one lives in bubbles anymore - there's some meeting midway to everyone's benefit.

imma3

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 1:23 pm
I grew up in Brooklyn, NY and lived there until my twenties. Then I moved to Chicago and lived there for four years. In my experience, Chicago provided me with a very strong community, one that I did not have in NY. The community was there for me in so many ways, and there are so many resources available to the Jews who live there. It is still a city, but the Jewish population is smaller than that of NY, so the community is tighter.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 1:28 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
Ouch!!!!!

I thought New Yorkers were supposed to be tough.

mha3484

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 1:32 pm
Chicago has room for everyone. If you want fancy you can find people who are into that. If you want to be more chilled you can find a lot of similar people. Its a great mix.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 8:59 pm
Thanks for the replies!

I guess what I'm asking is, Is Chicago more of a friendly cohesive community or more like a big New York-y type neighborhood where people don't really get to know each other?

Cuz Chicago is obviously not going to be Phoenix, Arizona. It's a huge city. But does it still have that friendly feel that "out of town" is known for, is my question.

amother
White

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 9:18 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
I thought New Yorkers were supposed to be tough.

You can get a lot of NY attitude into the word "ouch " in real life. It has layers of nuance. It doesn't mean you hurt me-it means I'm letting you know my opinion, but I dont have time to fully dress you down right now. Cause I'm a New Yorker, after all.

nicole81

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 9:37 pm
My husband lived in Chicago for 12 years before living in NY for the past 7 years. He says that you find a higher percentage of "genuine" and laid back people in Chicago. There's materialism, but less than in NY. He also says there's a community feel there unlike anything you can find in NY-- and we live in one of the actual brooklyn communities where everyone knows each other. He also says the school system is easy to navigate there, and you don't have to worry about getting accepted.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 9:56 pm
What are the differences in the various neighborhoods? Thanx.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating