Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Upsherin (chalake) hair - keeping it, is Tuma?
Previous  1  2

ChavieK

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 7:25 pm
One woman who does shaitles had asked for years to buy my ds hair. She said it is perfect for the edges of the shaitel, if someone pushes hair behind the ear or a pony, those little baby hairs around the ends.

Atali

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 7:38 pm
Quote:
But we were wondering, if we can donate it for a shaitel for a cnacer patient. Is it allowed?

We did that for my DS, we donated it to Zichron Menachem. It's an organization in E"Y that makes wigs for children with cancer. In order to donate, however, the child must have a braid that is ten inces or longer. My DS had, but very few kids do. I don't think that I will be doing it for DS #2 because his hair is too short. Sad

momluv

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 8:49 pm
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
My mother still has my brothers ' hair from some 20-30 years ago! Very Happy

I saved my sons too.

(They are NOT licey! They're packed away in a bag, how could they get licey?)

my mother has my brothers' hair too from a while ago. I think my grandmother gave my mother my fathers hair too. my son is to young but I will keep his hair too.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 8:54 pm
Chai Lifeline does take hair for children with cancer. they especiallyneed it for little boys with payos, they put two long payos on the sides of the yarmulke so it doesnt have to be that long. They usually have a shortage ofblond hair, which is my son's color. My sil used to work at the shaitel cmpany that doesthis forchai lifeline.

amother

Post Fri, Dec 07 2007, 6:26 am
I'm the Amother that asked about donating it.
I know that it needs to be atleast 10 inches, and in a pony. 2 of my nieces grew their hair and just donated it. They gave it to an org. in EY, and they were sent a certificate to show appreciation.
At his upsherin, IY"H, my plan is, that when we start the cutting part, we'll brush his hair into a ponytail, and then one person (DH?) will cut off the pony. Then everyone will cut off a piece from the rest of what's still there (plenty there still, since a pony can't get too close to the scalp.)
Then, I will be able to display in a frame, a lock of hair, with the certificate and a photo of him. It'll be different, and a big mitzvah. His first real mitzvah.
Anyways, we still have a while to go....

amother

Post Fri, Dec 07 2007, 8:06 am
amother wrote:
But we were wondering, if we can donate it for a shaitel for a cnacer patient. Is it allowed?

I know some people that donated their sons' hair to an organization called Locks of Love that specifically makes wigs for children who are having cancer treatments. In each case the fathers are rabbis and apparantly didn't see any problem.

Atali

Post Sat, Dec 08 2007, 5:57 am
amother wrote:
I'm the Amother that asked about donating it.
I know that it needs to be atleast 10 inches, and in a pony. 2 of my nieces grew their hair and just donated it. They gave it to an org. in EY, and they were sent a certificate to show appreciation.
At his upsherin, IY"H, my plan is, that when we start the cutting part, we'll brush his hair into a ponytail, and then one person (DH?) will cut off the pony. Then everyone will cut off a piece from the rest of what's still there (plenty there still, since a pony can't get too close to the scalp.)
Then, I will be able to display in a frame, a lock of hair, with the certificate and a photo of him. It'll be different, and a big mitzvah. His first real mitzvah.
Anyways, we still have a while to go....

That is exactly what we did (except for the framing part). We have the certificate from Zichron Menachem (it took about two months to arrive). First we had a kohen and a levi cut from near the peyos, then DH cut off the braid (it must be a braid, not just a pony which means that the hair has to be really long. My DS had hair almost to his hips, and just barely made it.

amother

Post Sat, Dec 08 2007, 10:25 pm
My friends donated hair from upshern to chai lifeline. It has to be in a pony OR a braid (not just a braid). the website says 14 inches, but I measured my sons hair at 12 and they said they will definitely use it anyway. I think I am going to try to make a couple of ponys to try and get as much useful hair out of it as possible.

rachel19977

Post Sun, Dec 09 2007, 6:36 am
Does anyone have a source of where burning the hair comes from, or why to dispose of it?

amother

Post Mon, Dec 10 2007, 12:45 am
I just measured DS' hair tonight. From where we would cut, it's 6½ inches!
Just another 3½ to go (for some organizations!) and 14 months to grow it!
IY"H we hope it'll continue growing!

professor

Post Mon, Dec 10 2007, 10:27 pm
I kept my son's hair and my parents kept my brother's hair. AND my grandparents kept my uncle's hair. so we don't see it as "tuma" I guess
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics