Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Toilet training a 6 yr old
Previous  1  2

ectomorph

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 1:01 pm
One of mine responded poorly to pressure (would just pee on the floor and didn't care about punishments or rewards.) I was at my wits end.

I read about a book called Autistic Logistics on this site. I used her method and was successful. Its not super tznius but it worked for us...

Basically instead of making it about the kid, its about you. You loudly talk about it when you need to go, how it feels, and how much fun it is to flush, and afterwards how much better you feel. You point out how everyone they like pees and poops.

The other piece of this method is emotional. My child is very emotionally sensitive. I let go of any need of MINE for him to be trained. I said, if he always needs diapers, its ok. I love him, he's my child, and he'll do it when he's ready.

Then I made a no pressure positive campaign. Not pressured, just we sat together and flushed the toilet, we washed hands for fun, he got a matchbox car (I recycle them) when he peed on the toilet.

Within a few weeks of my emotionally really letting go, he went on his own, and has been trained since. It took a few weeks before I really internalized the method. But once I did, he was able to decide on his own.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 1:08 pm
I have a 5 year old who is being seen by urology and colorectal. She is basically dry during the day.
1. check for a UTI. Her having an accident at 3 and not being able to be toilet trained afterwards was my first sign something was wrong. Took her to the dr and it turned out to be a UTI.

2. She is currently on a bladder emptier prescribed by urologist.

3. She was on miralax for probably over a year but she was in diapers the whole time. Anytime we tried potty training she would get another infection. She's now in underwear but she is currently off miralax and getting a daily enema instead. Not fun but cleans her out better then the miralax did and she isn't having any "bowel movement leakage"

4. we also took her to a pelvic foor pt

I think OT also sometimes works with kids who don't "feel it" when they have to go.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 1:09 pm
I didn't make up this method. I forgot the name of the lady who did. I actually found the whole book very helpful for behavior issues with wild little boys.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 3:06 pm
All of the above and Find a child therapist who works with enuresis/encopresis.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 8:27 pm
Bumping this up
I am.at my wits end with my 5 year old. She was toilet trained over a year ago and was doing great until the summer when she started having accidents basically daily. Pediatrician is convinced its constipation so she is on miralax but it doesnt seem to be having any effect on the number of accidents. Those of you that tried miralax to solve this how long did it take to see results? Shes been on it for around 2 months. Should I take her to a urologist? Something else? Is there someone that specializes in stuff like this??

This is such a painful subject for me and I cant discuss with anyone IRL cuz their judgment outweighs any benefits it might have.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 9:09 pm
My fully trained 4 year old DD started having accidents and it took a few months to realize that it was from pinworms. She never complained of itching, this was her only symptom. Pinworms can cause vaginal irritation and UTIs. The accidents stopped as soon as we treated for pinworms. Unfortunately, the worms recurred and we knew because the accidents started again. After more treatment, it stopped.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training