Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Lighting up dim room

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 9:20 pm
How can I light up a dining room that has just 1 light fixture? the fixture has tons of bulbs. bulbs are not covered. it's a great fixture but the light doesn't reach all corners.

I don't have electric wires to add another light fixture. So only the center of the room is well lit.
I'd rather sit by the table to read than on the couch since the poor lighting gets me so nervous.

Any ideas? I searched for battery operated ceiling lights, but they come with a 'motion' sensor. problematic for shabbat.

I did find some that come with a remote control, I bought it, it lasted for like 30 hours:(

I am looking for a cheap way to light up the room. I don't want to pull wires.

all suggestions are appreciated!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 9:24 pm
I changed all bulbs to bright LED bulbs with highest wattage available in that size. Huge difference.
How many bulbs, and what wattage, are in now?

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 9:24 pm
You can buy a Alexa echo with a special plug for five dollars you can command it to set the lights for shabbos

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 9:28 pm
We got a long plug in led light fixture and put it on top of a bookcase next to an outlet. No installation. Makes a huge difference.

I kept researching on Amazon but in the end bought something locally on sale.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 9:30 pm
Halogen lamp

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 9:54 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I changed all bulbs to bright LED bulbs with highest wattage available in that size. Huge difference.
How many bulbs, and what wattage, are in now?

right. did that already. All bulbs are the brightest possible now. I was excited to the newfound brightness for a few months. Lol. but it's really not enough and I can't imagine how I was even able to see at all with the old bulbs:)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 9:56 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
You can buy a Alexa echo with a special plug for five dollars you can command it to set the lights for shabbos

will check it out.
HOw much $ does such a light cost?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 9:57 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
We got a long plug in led light fixture and put it on top of a bookcase next to an outlet. No installation. Makes a huge difference.

I kept researching on Amazon but in the end bought something locally on sale.

good idea! Will do a search for it.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 9:58 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Halogen lamp

another great idea!

Heart I LOVE IMAMOTHERS! Heart

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 9:59 pm
Floor lamps, table lamp on a console or side table. Varied sources of light is the coziest.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 10:01 pm
quick question to add:

Would you suggest I sell my big dark wooden china closet? removing it from the room may add brightness. (by the way I hate the china closet anyway)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 10:03 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
Floor lamps, table lamp on a console or side table. Varied sources of light is the coziest.

good ideas!
I just think that a ceiling light will give more brightness.
I'm at a point where I don't care how pretty or ugly the fixture is... I need light. I can't handle when a room is not lit properly. I'm the type that doesn't appreciate the dim lighting at parties and events... I need light.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 10:06 pm
I found track lighting to help when you only have one space for a fixture ...they come in different lengths and the bulbs can be spread out and turned in whatever direction you want it to shine .

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 10:32 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I found track lighting to help when you only have one space for a fixture ...they come in different lengths and the bulbs can be spread out and turned in whatever direction you want it to shine .

this seems to be a very ideal option!

Thank you so much everyone for taking the time to help me figure this out!
I didn't know what to look for and you all saved the day!

md951

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 1:06 pm
I got awesome big lamps from walmart for $11 and each one lights up a big room to such a brightness that I only turn on one of the lights. They plug into a normal socket and you can put it on a timer too. Here's the link, I bought them in store so it was $11 https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mai.....73433

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 1:56 am
debbiem wrote:
I got awesome big lamps from walmart for $11 and each one lights up a big room to such a brightness that I only turn on one of the lights. They plug into a normal socket and you can put it on a timer too. Here's the link, I bought them in store so it was $11 https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mai.....73433

thanks a lot for the link! I'm adding it to the order:)

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 2:15 am
Mirrors.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics