Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Parsnip Honey Cake

Amarante

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 5:18 pm
I really like parsnips so when I saw this recipe, I knew I had to try it and doesn't this count as a vegetable? LOL

I did make it as a layer cake but if you look at the notes, it can be made as a Bundt cake. I did not make the carrot chips but I bet you could use commercial carrot chips in the bag if you really wanted to decorate with them.

I used the Country Crock Plant Butter which I have found to be a good substitute for butter or margarine.

Parsnip Honey Cake

Source is BusyinBrooklyn blog - https://www.busyinbrooklyn.com.....hips/

1 cup coconut milk (I use Coconut Dream Original)
3 eggs
1 cup oil
1 1/2 cups honey
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp salt
2 heaping cups shredded parsnips

Honey Cream Cheese Frosting
(may be doubled, depending on how much frosting you like)

1 stick butter or margarine
1 8 oz. pkg cream cheese (may use tofutti)
3 cups confectioners sugar
1 heaping tbsp honey
1/8 tsp cinnamon

Rainbow Carrot Chips

1 bunch rainbow carrots
canola oil, for frying

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour three 9-inch cake pans and set aside.

With an electric mixture, cream the coconut milk, eggs, oil, honey, brown sugar and vanilla. In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet, mixing until you have a smooth batter. Stir in the shredded parsnips.

Divide the batter evenly between the pans and bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Leave the cakes to cool while you prepare the frosting.

Add all the frosting ingredients to a bowl and blend with a hand mixer until smooth and creamy.

Remove the cakes from the pans and trim so that they are completely flat (you can use this trick to bake completely flat layers). Frost each cake layer and scrape the sides to create the look of a naked cake.

To make the rainbow carrot chips, wash the carrots well and pat dry. Peel the carrots with a vegetable peeler, creating strips of carrots. Heat a few inches of oil in a deep skillet and fry the carrots in batches, until crisp and golden. Drain on paper towels.

Before serving, garnish the cake with carrot chips.

VARIATION: Use carrots instead of parsnips in the cake, or use a mixture of both.
OPTIONAL FILLINGS: chopped walnuts, chopped pecans, shredded coconut, raisins, dried pineapple.
OPTIONAL TOPPINGS: chopped or sliced nuts (walnuts, almonds or pecans), shredded coconut.
BUNDT PAN OPTION: This cake may be made in a bundt pan. Place the bundt pan on a baking sheet to catch spills. Grease and flour pan and pour batter inside it. Bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Top with cream cheese frosting and toppings of your choice.

Last edited by Amarante on Tue, Dec 10 2019, 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

ectomorph

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 5:55 pm
Do you have pic of finished product? Having a hard time visualizing.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 6:51 pm
ectomorph wrote:
Do you have pic of finished product? Having a hard time visualizing.

It sounds like a carrot cake, though probably whiter.
Intrigued!

Amarante

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 7:03 pm
Kind of brownish like a regular cake - not a white cake but like a spice type of cake. More earthy looking than delicate.

This isn't my picture but this is from BusyinBrooklyn where I got the recipe originally. I am always on the prowl for Bundt cakes but I decided I could chance a layer cake since this one didn't depend on being beautifully iced. Very Happy

I'm also including a link to her website for anyone who wants to go to the source Very Happy

https://www.busyinbrooklyn.com.....hips/

PassionFruit

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 7:32 pm
that sounds disgusting lol

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 9:08 pm
PassionFruit wrote:

So tempted to match your name to the thread title Wink
I really wonder. I love parsnips but can't imagine them in a cake. They're so different to carrots. But I think it's possible.

Amarante

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 9:31 pm
I’m not sure why you think parsnips are different than carrots. Parsnips aren’t eaten raw but when cooked they become sweetish like cooked carrots. Zucchini is also a vegetable that is widely used in quick breads and muffins.

Silver Member. You do realize that you have said that I have disgusting taste in food. Why would you feel that is an appropriate comment to post since it serves no purpose except to demean me. Would you tell someone in real life that she had awful taste or was a terrible cook?

Last edited by Amarante on Wed, Dec 11 2019, 1:09 am; edited 1 time in total

tichellady

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 12:35 am
Sounds yummy. I probably wouldn’t make it but would happily eat it

mom2mysouls

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 1:19 am
Amarante wrote:
I’m not sure why you think parsnips are different than carrots. Parsnips aren’t eaten raw but when cooked they become sweetish like cooked carrots. Zucchini is also a vegetable that is widely used in quick breads and muffins.

Silver Member. You do realize that you have said that I have disgusting taste in food. Why would you feel that is an appropriate comment to post since it serves no purpose except to demean me. Would you tell someone in real life that she had awful taste or was a terrible cook?

Oh c'mon she didn't say you have bad taste! She simply voiced HER taste. Ok. Maybe she could have phrased it nicer...

I bake a lot and love trying unique recipes, I can't say I would have guts to use parsnips in a cake! It also sounds like a heavier cake, and I personally prefer lighter cakes.

Amarante

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 1:31 am
I’m not defensive at all. But there are plenty of recipes I read that are repugnant to me but I don’t feel a need to voice an opinion.

Of course a reasoned critique that adds to culinary understanding would be different. For example a post on why specific techniques or ingredients that a poster has actually cooked didn’t work out is interesting and helpful.

But a sentence stating that a recipe is disgusting adds nothing but was meant to do nothing but attempt to denigrate the original post. It serves no other function.

I point it out because it’s gratuitously nasty and just puzzling as to what would be the motivation. Trying to warn others?

Odelyah

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 1:31 am
PassionFruit wrote:

haha and my first thought was wow! what a brilliant idea!

same idea as a carrot cake, but less orange, more-- parsnipy I suppose? Smile and I love parsnips, so why not? absolutely brilliant.

chefmama

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 1:46 am
Ooh I do love parsnips! I've got to try this cake. I don't use margarine at all, do you have a frosting recipe using oil instead that could work with this cake?

Amarante

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 3:03 am
chefmama wrote:
Ooh I do love parsnips! I've got to try this cake. I don't use margarine at all, do you have a frosting recipe using oil instead that could work with this cake?

I don’t use margarine but the new Country Crock Plant Butters are a good substitute when you need a butter consistency. They are made with olive oil or avocado oil. I’ve never made an oil based frosting. Alternatively you could make it as a Bundt cake and just use the standard glaze made with confectioners sugar.

chefmama

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 3:48 am
Amarante wrote:
I don’t use margarine but the new Country Crock Plant Butters are a good substitute when you need a butter consistency. They are made with olive oil or avocado oil. I’ve never made an oil based frosting. Alternatively you could make it as a Bundt cake and just use the standard glaze made with confectioners sugar.

Ah I don't get Country Crock Plant Butters here. Will have look about though, thanks. I think I found an oil based chocolate frosting here on imamother sometime ago if I remember correctly, maybe I'll have a search here in the meantime. Thanks for the unique recipes. Smile

ectomorph

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 4:26 am
Thanks Amarante. My husband won't touch it bit I do love parsnips. Interesting idea.

As an aside, "carrots" did not always mean what we see today. Root vegetables were a local thing in olden times and probably some roots we would think of as parsnips would have been described as carrots. Root veggies came un different colors and local variations. What we have today is refined, carefully bred versions for taste and longevity and colour.

Amarante

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 10:21 am
ectomorph wrote:
Thanks Amarante. My husband won't touch it bit I do love parsnips. Interesting idea.

As an aside, "carrots" did not always mean what we see today. Root vegetables were a local thing in olden times and probably some roots we would think of as parsnips would have been described as carrots. Root veggies came un different colors and local variations. What we have today is refined, carefully bred versions for taste and longevity and colour.

That is very interesting about root vegetables. I love this kind of arcane information. I have actually read a few books dealing with the history of various foods. It sounds dull but they are intertwined with history and cultural and anthropology because the books discuss how food impacted how people lived. I mean the obvious is how the domestication of animals and the beginning of agriculture versus hunting and gathering enabled people to start villages and cities and utlimately support culture. Without the rise of agriculture in the Fertile Crescent (for starters) there would be no Jewish religion.

Regarding your husband - why tell him there are parsnips as part of the ingredient list. It tastes like a regular spice cake - e.g. like carrot cake does. Oil based cakes are generally very moist and use stronger flavorings because they don't have butter to add that delicious butter taste. Butter cakes as a rule (obviously not every cake) tend to have more delicate flavors. The same is true to a great extent with cookies. Of course butter cookies also have a completely different texture than oil based cookies because of how solid fats react when baked. Even shortening (versus butter) will produce a different textured cookie.

Odelyah

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 7:13 pm
chefmama wrote:
Ah I don't get Country Crock Plant Butters here. Will have look about though, thanks. I think I found an oil based chocolate frosting here on imamother sometime ago if I remember correctly, maybe I'll have a search here in the meantime. Thanks for the unique recipes. Smile

I use refined coconut oil as a substitute for margarine (in the few recipes I make where it makes a difference vs. using oil-- like in "buttercream" frosting for birthday cakes) and it works very well. the unrefined/virgin type has a coconutty taste, but the refined type is neutral tasting.

I've also used Earth Balance but I like coconut oil better. (Never tried the Country Crock though!)

Odelyah

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 7:32 pm
Amarante wrote:

Regarding your husband - why tell him there are parsnips as part of the ingredient list. It tastes like a regular spice cake - e.g. like carrot cake does. Oil based cakes are generally very moist and use stronger flavorings because they don't have butter to add that delicious butter taste. Butter cakes as a rule (obviously not every cake) tend to have more delicate flavors. The same is true to a great extent with cookies. Of course butter cookies also have a completely different texture than oil based cookies because of how solid fats react when baked. Even shortening (versus butter) will produce a different textured cookie.

I agree you don't need to disclose the parsnips-- if it takes like spice cake just call it spice cake!

I make a delicious pumpkin chocolate chip cake and my kids are used to it and love it, but one time one of them had a friend over and they just told them it was chocolate chip cake Smile and they loved it-- it doesn't taste pumpkiny but it is a bit orange! but they were none the wiser Smile (this kid knew the friend was picky and would be like ew if they heard it had a vegetable in it)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins