Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
P'tach and Ichud programs
1  2  Next

chestnut

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 12:27 pm
What's the difference between them? How do girls get integrated into regular classes, in the elementary school? Is there a stigma for these girls? Did you or does your daughter now goes to this class?

Is there anyone to discuss it with, whether it'll be the right choice for my daughter?

Thanks!

5S5Sr7z3

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 3:24 pm
I don't know the difference - all I know is that some of these programs are insanely expensive and pretty much out of reach for the regular person. I dropped my inquiries after I heard the price AFTER a scholarship.

chestnut

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 3:34 pm
I hear. They do take P3 hours and then work with ppl on payment, I heard... I didn't get to that part yet

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 3:38 pm
I have been out of Brooklyn for a while-but worked professionally with both programs for a while. This is what I remember:
Ichud has a class per grade in different schools. You would need to send to the school that has the corresponding grade for your daughter. For example, the 1st grade class may be in Prospect and the 2nd grade may be in BYBP. The girls wear the same uniform as the rest of the school. They usually have a classroom near the rest of the grade and follow the same schedule as the school. They will have a small class and special teachers though.
Ptach is like a mini school within a school. The girls program was in BY Drav Meir. They had small section of the building and had all the grades. They had their own schedule and special activities/teachers etc. The girls wear the BYDM uniform and eat in the lunchroom, same transportation etc. as the rest of the school.

5S5Sr7z3

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 3:52 pm
chestnut wrote:
I hear. They do take P3 hours and then work with ppl on payment, I heard... I didn't get to that part yet

Unfortunately the only program that would have worked for us is not in the same state we live in (the school is a half hour drive away) so govt funding to cover some of the costs would be a problem. It would have cost us 40k. Per year. I'm not made of money, so this is a no go for us.

chestnut

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 6:06 pm
Sorry 5S5S:(

Amother, thanks!! What kind of diagnosis /LD girls in each program have? Would you say girls in Ichud get integrated more with the regular grade?

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 6:50 pm
Both programs cater to any form of LD that is severe enough that a student is not managing in a mainstream classroom. A girl who just needs a little help with reading or another subject is not a candidate. A girl who needs a lot of individualized attention and help with many subjects would benefit greatly.
I would say that there may be less of a stigma in Ichud as they are part of the grade. In either option-they are wearing the regular school uniform. To an outsider they are regular students in the school.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 11:16 pm
Anyone have a rough estimate of what an Ichud class could cost?

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 11:23 pm
They are for the most part paid through the board of Ed. You will not have to payif you have an Iep. The Chush girls school- called bais yacov of bay pkway has an amazing program.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 11:34 pm
An IEP for what? A special ed school?

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 11:41 pm
It’s an evaluation from the board of Ed. The school will hire lawyers to help you get the $ to pay for the program.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 11:52 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
I have been out of Brooklyn for a while-but worked professionally with both programs for a while. This is what I remember:
Ichud has a class per grade in different schools. You would need to send to the school that has the corresponding grade for your daughter. For example, the 1st grade class may be in Prospect and the 2nd grade may be in BYBP. The girls wear the same uniform as the rest of the school. They usually have a classroom near the rest of the grade and follow the same schedule as the school. They will have a small class and special teachers though.
Ptach is like a mini school within a school. The girls program was in BY Drav Meir. They had small section of the building and had all the grades. They had their own schedule and special activities/teachers etc. The girls wear the BYDM uniform and eat in the lunchroom, same transportation etc. as the rest of the school.

how did this ever fly as a good idea? basically shuffling kids around from school to school every single year? No stability!!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 11:56 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
how did this ever fly as a good idea? basically shuffling kids around from school to school every single year? No stability!!

No they stay in the school and each year that school moves up a grade. This year seventh is in yob next year eighth is in yob etc

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 7:04 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:

Each starting 1st grade is hosted by a different school. So this year's first grade might be in in BYBP, and when the same class enters 2nd grade they stay in BYBP, and so on they stay until they graduate. Next year's first grape might be in YOB and those same girls continue in YOB each year. In two years the 1st grade might be hosted by Prospect Park and there they stay.
So it really depends what year your child was born and you don't get to choose the host school. But the kids stay put in that host school.
There is always one mainstream option like the ones listed above, and 1 parallel option for the same age in a chassidish host school.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 7:51 am
I have experience with both programs. My daughter is in her fourth year in Ptach. The class size is small and there is 1 teacher and 1 assistant in each class.

My son spent 2 years in Ichud.
He hated being there because he felt very stigmatized. Kids from the other classes in the school have been known to make fun of Ichud kids. He could not wait to go back to mainstream in his old school. But Ichud is an amazing program, they took a highly dyslexic child who could not read and taught him so many skills. He was reading fluently when he left Ichud.

Tuition costs us pretty much what we would be paying in mainstream because they work with you and give tuition breaks to people who cannot afford the $45,000 asking price. They take care of suing the board of Ed for the cost of tuition.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 9:42 pm
Are all the Ichud classes English and Yiddish speaking? My language-delayed ASD son has a hard time with 2 languages. I feel like he'd do so much better if we can just focus on one.

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 10:55 am
Ichud ES didnt have teachers who were trained to work with specific learning issues, child was failing in school, had low self esteem and bad behavior. Sorry to say, but a non charedi program really helped her.
Rabbi W in Ptach was another horror story, they treated child and parents like a peel of garlic, really. I have emails corresponding, they totally didnt care, didnt try to help academically, counseling - all the good words about the great resources they have turned to be zero investment in the student, child ended year so bruised, and parents were exhausted! Rabbi W and his assistant were excellent at one thing: asking for more and more $. a shame to Klal Yisroel, really.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 12:46 pm
Chush has a preety good program too.

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 1:55 pm
If your daughter can sort of manage in a mainstream school do it. Try to get as many p3 hours possible . Get a seminary girl to help. Do whatever you can to keep her in a mainstream school if possible.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 11:42 pm
How are the kids in these programs socially? Are they generally a little slower or not as socially aware or are they run of the mill kids that you’d never know needed extra help?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics