Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Can you please help me with bottle feeding advice?!!
Previous  1  2

Ima4therecord

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 8:22 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
No I wasn’t implying that at all. I was trying to say that not all babies can be spaced or can take that much at a time but they can still learn to sleep well for long stretches

Oh OK. Right every baby is different. Just to clarify also the book doesn't specify how much formula to give (just an estimate based on weight) .. They say if the baby finished the bottle offer more to see if they want more.

momof2+?

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 8:35 pm
I don't have experience bottle feeding at that age, but 2 weeks is a newborn!!!! I feed on demand. 2.5 hrs doesn't sound absurdly short between feedings for a 2 week old. They are growing so much at that age! I am sorry you don't get as much of a break between feedings, but I wouldn't be focusing on stretching the time between feedings at this point. Especially if it is annoying for you. Are you worried he is in the 99th percentile for weight???

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 9:47 pm
I can't imagine making a newborn wait 4 hours for a feeding! Even 3 hours is quite a long time for a small 2 week old. I was told 1-1.25oz per hour, never more than 4oz at a time.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 9:59 pm
I thought it was standard to feed a newborn every 2 hours.
When did that change?

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 12:44 am
my twins WERE eating every 2 hours at that age but they were small preemies and it was 13 years ago. For a typical 2 week old I think 2 hours is too short but I think making them wait to 3 hours if they're crying for it (4? oh no!) is too long, so 2.5 hours seems fine to me but one thing I did (when they were older than this though!) was cluster feeding in the evening. So let's say they were eating every 2.5 hours at that point .... For the last 2 feeds of the day I'd offer a bit more per bottle and/or feed them at 2 hours instead of 2.5. Clean diaper, good burp.... then the first stretch of night sleep lasted longer.

But at 2 weeks? On demand. Enjoy this stage, it passes too quickly!

Teomima

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 6:19 am
He's so little! At that age, just give him what and when he wants. Treat it like you would nursing. Yes it's less convenient, having to make the bottles, but c'est la vie. To make that easier, keep formula in premeasured dispensers and have a bottle of cooled boiled water so all you need to do is add a little fresh boiled water and the rest with the cooled water (at least until you decide you don't care anymore and tap water is just fine, usually somewhere between one month and second baby Very Happy).

Meanwhile, repeat this mantra to get your through those sleepless nights: This too shall pass. This too shall pass...

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 6:55 am
remember you still use the bottle again if it's within 2-3 hours of you making it. I didn't exclusively give bottles but mine would fall asleep while feeding and then wake up again not long after, and I would just use the same bottle. 2 weeks is still very new-it gets easier. I found the days were very long and slightly foggy but somehow the weeks have gone by and mine is almost 6 months.

anonymrs

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 9:31 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
remember you still use the bottle again if it's within 2-3 hours of you making it. I didn't exclusively give bottles but mine would fall asleep while feeding and then wake up again not long after, and I would just use the same bottle. 2 weeks is still very new-it gets easier. I found the days were very long and slightly foggy but somehow the weeks have gone by and mine is almost 6 months.

Lactation consultant told me that once baby's mouth touches the bottle, it's only good for 1 hour because it begins to breed bacteria after that. This was in regard to formula bottle. So I wouldn't continue giving the same bottle 2 or more hours later.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 9:31 am
1 hour??? 5 kids, never heard

Ima4therecord

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 10:22 am
TwinsMommy wrote:
my twins WERE eating every 2 hours at that age but they were small preemies and it was 13 years ago. For a typical 2 week old I think 2 hours is too short but I think making them wait to 3 hours if they're crying for it (4? oh no!) is too long, so 2.5 hours seems fine to me but one thing I did (when they were older than this though!) was cluster feeding in the evening. So let's say they were eating every 2.5 hours at that point .... For the last 2 feeds of the day I'd offer a bit more per bottle and/or feed them at 2 hours instead of 2.5. Clean diaper, good burp.... then the first stretch of night sleep lasted longer.

But at 2 weeks? On demand. Enjoy this stage, it passes too quickly!

I just want to clarify I don't think anyone is expecting or is it healthy or reccomended to let a 2 week old wait 4 hours. 2.5 to three is reccomended. Four hours Is when they r older (but of course everyone is different). Also for the mothers that only or mostly breastfed, it's a known thing that formula can tend to make babies fuller for longer than breastfeeding at times. Just to keep that in mind.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 10:26 am
Feeding in demand is more for breastfeeding babies that you don't know how much they're getting. You can't bottle feed on demand a full feeding every time the baby cries. That's way too much. Babies don't only cry when hungry.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 10:48 am
thank you so much everyone for replying!!

I dont think I could give little bits in a go, rather he is just having a full feed every 2 and half to 3 hours, which a lot of ppl have clarified is fine.

and to the amother who said about prepping the bottles, of course I do that, I have e.t ready on my night table with the cooled boiled water in the bottle and the formula ready measured.

I think im also just getting used to the whole newborn stage after my 2 big kids.

I know time flies, but at the momemt im coun ting the hours, not days Yawn Yawn Yawn
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics