Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
What's the deal with costco?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 7:33 am
Just moved to the suburbs so I got a costco membership. I'm really trying to figure out why everyone makes such a big deal about costco. Yeah, they have better prices than others on a few things, but honestly I can get the same stuff on sale at shop rite for basically the same price. Also, some of their stuff might be a good deal but the quantity is just too large for me to realistically use up before it goes bad.
Is there something I'm missing?

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 7:36 am
Its fun.

For us its the best value for Chicken - we buy and freeze.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 7:40 am
I call it the place where you waste time and spend money.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 7:42 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Just moved to the suburbs so I got a costco membership. I'm really trying to figure out why everyone makes such a big deal about costco. Yeah, they have better prices than others on a few things, but honestly I can get the same stuff on sale at shop rite for basically the same price. Also, some of their stuff might be a good deal but the quantity is just too large for me to realistically use up before it goes bad.
Is there something I'm missing?

I was wondering the same! I became a member in June and have shopped there only once. I wonder how people utilize the benefits most. Do people also shop online? I'd like to hear from members the best deals and tips. Tia

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 7:43 am
There are two main reasons I love Costco:

1. A lot of the Kirkland brand products are a much better quality and value than at Target/Walmart. I have tons of storage space, so that is not an issue. Here are my favorites:

Contact Solution
Paper Towels
Trash Bags
Dishwasher Tablets
Parchment Paper
Saran Wrap
Cooking Spray

2. I live out of town, so don't have as many options or good supermarket deals on chicken, deli and cholov yisroel cheese. I get the following from Costco:

A&H Corned Beef and Pastrami
A&H Hot Dogs
Empire chicken
Shredded Cheese
String Cheese
Kirkland brand lox

honeymoon

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 7:48 am
If you follow their specials you can get amazing deals on detergent, lens solution, toiletries, plastic goods and more. Their regular prices are good but it's worth stocking up when they have a special on something you use often.

The main reason I shop there is because of their lifetime return policy on most things.

Also their fruits and veggies are absolutely awesome!

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 7:49 am
I personally like BJ's because they periodically offer $20 rewards if you buy certain merchandise which I buy anyway. These rewards end up making membership free. For all these store clubs, you have to be a savvy shopper and know prices.

flower2

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 7:54 am
Great prices when you need new tires and also gas

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 7:55 am
I like Costco flowers.

I like their plants.

They guarantee everything. Some things you pay extra for, but the guarantee is worth it.

DH gets windshield wiper blades there.

Their jewelry is well priced and high quality.

Their books and toys are discounted.

mamaleh

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 9:10 am
We buy salmon, chumus, produce, bottled water, Kleenex, and a few grocery products. I also watch their sales and have gotten some nice clothing deals there, too.

malki2

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 9:22 am
I agree with all of the above reasons, and add the following:

Costco is great IF you need it for the above reasons AND you know what you need before you walk in AND you have the self-control to but only the items that you need.

But if not, you should be aware that the business model of Costco is based on getting customers to walk in for one item, and to walk out having bought five other really attractive, neat-looking, expensive items on “sale” that they never intended on purchasing. They have many tactics that they employ to achieve this. For example, you almost never find employees walking around the store. This is so that you will have a hard time finding what you need, and will walk around the store and bump into many other products that you didn’t know that you needed. They also periodically move items around for this reason.

Bottom line, if you can beat them at their game, good, if not, then Caveat Emptor.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 9:25 am
We had costco the first year it opened here, and it's not worth it

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 10:37 am
We're in Brooklyn, and decided that a Costco membership doesn't work out in our favor. We can do just as well with sale prices at other stores. It also seemed like they didn't have much kosher food.

Learning

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 10:40 am
We buy frozen vegetables or fruit even. It is even organic and very cheap

singleagain

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 10:42 am
flower2 wrote:
Great prices when you need new tires and also gas

You don't have to be a member to get the gas prices.. or I'm guessing the tires.

Also, liquor is much cheaper and again, don't need to be a member to buy the liquor.

If you have the space to make sense to buy nonperishables in bulk. That's typically what my dad gets.

Things like cups hot and cold. Plates. Cutlery. Tissue. Toilet paper. Etc

They also have fun seasonal items.

SingALong

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 10:43 am
I used to go to costco monthly to stock up on things like baby wipes, paper towels, tissues, toilet paper, toiletries, etc. I'd also get some fruits/veggies.
then I started ordering on amazon prime monthly subscribe and save. prices are comparable, depending on the item. but I save tons of money by just subscribing to my needed monthly items, and no impulse buying as a stroll by a great deal of something that I want but didn't think I needed until I saw it!

miami85

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 10:44 am
It's a much bigger deal out of town where Costco is the only reasonable place to get certain goods, but its also good to pay attention to their rotating sales on certain items such as I've gotten a new kitchenaid for significantly cheaper than anywhere else, and I got a certain toaster oven there cheaper than elsewhere. Diapers are a big item for us also. They also have a very good travel website for deals on rental cars--especially last minute rentals.

Like anything, you have to see how a membership affects your own bottom line and shopping habits. We have Costco, BJs and Sams club all right near each other but Costco offers the most kosher goods that we'd need.

Also while most of their produce isn't necessarily cheaper (a lot of it is organic) I find that their grape tomatoes last for 2 weeks whereas the smaller containers I buy at the store don't last me a week without them getting soft.

Last edited by miami85 on Thu, Dec 12 2019, 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Batsheva1

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 10:47 am
Costco is the best! For starters, I always know I am paying a fair price and am not being ripped off. I have a large family and find it very convenient to buy in bulk as I hate shopping and when I buy a lot of something I don't have to replenish as often, hence fewer trips to the store. I stock up on many items; paper goods, spices, cans, honey, syrup... Milk is cheaper. I buy 4 gallons at a time and freeze. OJ, kosher cheese, meat... Glasses and contact lenses are cheap. Gas is 20cents cheaper a gallon than other places. I have bought 3 cars through the auto program- very straightforward, smooth and painless. I have used their travel agency to go to Hawaii, Cancun, Puerto Rico and got great deals. Returns are hassle-free (I'm embarrassed to tell you what my husband has returned) They have a selection of clothes and I have bought quite a few over the years for my kids as well. Underwear, socks, tights... Down blankets (cheaper than elsewhere) bedding, towels, the list goes on... We're hooked!

tichellady

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 10:50 am
I don’t get it either. Totally overwhelming and not good prices imo

Amarante

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 11:27 am
It really depends on what you are purchasing and whether it is useful to you.

I don't want to spend a lot of time researching prices to get the absolute cheapest prices but I know that Costco prices are always reasonable just as I know that Trader Joes prices are always reasonable without worrying about it.

As for what to get, that really depends on your family's needs. I got a huge jug of pure maple syrup for the same price that I paid at the grocery store for a tiny bottle. Their produce is often really high quality and they have big bags of bagged salad.

Frozen fruit is also way cheaper and highly functional if you make smoothies.

Their nuts and other baking supplies are cheap and very high quality.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics