Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Do Pediatric Dentists Really Exist?
Previous  1  2  3

cbsp

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 10:31 pm
OP your experience sounds horrific.

Pediatric dentists do exist:

https://www.ada.org/en/publica.....viral

Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CLNfVZrgbI

CHMother

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 11:02 am
Someone else told me about Dr. Figdor. Do you have contact info for him?

amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
I had the same experience as you. We felt it was insane to put children to sleep for fillings. I had this at 2 different “pediatric” dentists- one in Lakewood and one a 20 minute drive out of Lakewood.

BH we just found a new pediatric dentist who recently opened an office here in Lakewood. He also has a practice in Brooklyn. He is appalled that in NJ kids are getting put to sleep to do dental work. His staff is nice and he is kind and gets the work done using laughing gas- kids awake and alert the whole time .
When we first came to him we had been told by the other dentist that my child had 3 cavities. Well, he rechecked and said that there is only ONE cavity!!!
So we’ve had a positive experience with him; finding him to be honest and kind.
His name is Dr. Figdor.
I think you will be happy there.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 11:08 am
Dr. Figdor

Lakewood Kids and Adolescent Dentistry
1776 Ave of the States Suite 105, Lakewood, NJ 08701
(732) 987-6001

CHMother

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 11:11 am
Agreed. The name of the practice is Tender Smiles for Kids (how ironic).

The reviews did seem good and the way they explained the procedure to me beforehand sounded mostly reasonable. I didn't know they were lying. I only realized how bad they were when my husband came home.

I'm told most places that take Jersey Care do this, it's the best way for them to make money. All the orange chairs and fish tanks can't make up for over-sedation and time-efficient but rude treatment of children. They may have set out to be pediatric, but there's nothing pediatric about the way they treated my son.

Maybe if you have private insurance you get treated better. Who knows?

amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
I do not use pediatric dentists (or any dentist) that has a policy not to allow moms in the room. I called around and asked this one question of the staff before even making that first appointment. (That and if they use digital vs. old-fashioned x-rays).

What you described sounds horrific, and you should name them so people know. Do not go back. That sounds like a torture chamber.

My last point - I intend to say this gently, but it might come out harsher just due to the written vs. spoken word. You came here asking if this was normal. You know it can't be normal. Were you not trusting yourself because all your friends use and love this practice? Time to tune out the clamoring masses and tune in to your own gut. How can you even have a question if this is normal or not? Who cares what everyone else thinks of this practice? You know it's terrible. Trust yourself.

CHMother

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 11:14 am
I just listened. I shouldn't have, but I did. He's my first and at the time, getting a second opinion seemed to be unnecessary and overcautious. I know "you can never be too cautious" but I just don't work like that - for me, it's usually not worth the stress. In this case, I was wrong.

amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Is there something I'm missing here? I have never taken a three year old to the dentist, and I don't see how they are old enough to cooperate. If it was a small cavity, why couldn't you wait until he's a little older?

nchr

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 2:18 pm
CHMother wrote:
Maybe if you have private insurance you get treated better. Who knows?

Dentistry is generally a cash-based business, but yes, you are treated better if you have private insurance and/or are paying with cash. The dental care you receive is also superior because pulling teeth is extremely rare with regular insurance or cash paying patients (I.e. my dentist will do a pulpotomy, baby porcelain cap, etc. rather than pull a decayed or chipped baby tooth). So many kids in my neighborhood are missing teeth and that is bad for very many reasons, including your overall bite and dental health, but is almost standard for kids on medicaid.

studying_torah

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 2:28 pm
Yes dr gildin in passaic is very very good with both kids & adults as is the hygienist. My child needed a tooth pulled & he was so gentle and patient.
I'm sorry but that dentist's office sounds horrible for any age!

professor

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 2:34 pm
My kids live the dentist, it's like a family trip every time we go! They want to have their birthday party at the dentist. I can't even threaten them not to chew their candies because dentist is so awesome. I'm glad I don't live in Lakewood

groisamomma

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 2:46 pm
To amother above it looks like Dr. Winokur must have changed in his old age. 11 years ago he said ds has 4 cavities and not to worry they'll knock him out and do all at once. I almost went for it and was about to schedule an appt at the hospital. For some reason I can't remember he wasn't going to do it in his office. My SIL was horrified and told me to run for the hills.

Chemed was a butcher shop, and still is. Even the frum hygienist had no patience for dd and told her that big 5 yr old girls don't cry at the dentist and could she stop squirming around. Um, this momma still cries at the dentist lol.

I ended up using Dr. Brett from Lakewood Pediatric Dental for all my kids. He's amazing! He has a stuffed animal named Dudley that's all giant teeth and the kids brush it with a giant toothbrush while water sprays out of his mouth. My kids loved going. He puts them on sunglasses when the light shines down and pretends they're at the beach. He's also one to stop if a kid picks their hand up.

CHMother

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 10:12 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
I had the same experience as you. We felt it was insane to put children to sleep for fillings. I had this at 2 different “pediatric” dentists- one in Lakewood and one a 20 minute drive out of Lakewood.

BH we just found a new pediatric dentist who recently opened an office here in Lakewood. He also has a practice in Brooklyn. He is appalled that in NJ kids are getting put to sleep to do dental work. His staff is nice and he is kind and gets the work done using laughing gas- kids awake and alert the whole time .
When we first came to him we had been told by the other dentist that my child had 3 cavities. Well, he rechecked and said that there is only ONE cavity!!!
So we’ve had a positive experience with him; finding him to be honest and kind.
His name is Dr. Figdor.
I think you will be happy there.

Thank you so much for this, I am there now and very happy so far!

amother
Black

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 10:46 am
I know this thread is from 2 months ago but I’m looking for a good dentist for kids in Monroe. Any of you that wrote that you have a good one were by chance talking about Monroe?

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 10:55 am
I used to dread taking my children to the dentist, had anxiety for days before my children's appointment. I was at, 3 different dentists before I found the one I'm happy with. At one of the dentists my child was held down by 3 nurses and he was screeching while the dentist did a filling Crying At the pediatric dentist I use now the nurse lets the child choose a show to watch. The dentist spoke to my child through out the whole filling and my child was totally fine, he didn't cry even once. All it took was the dentist being patient and acting like a mentch for my son to be calm. They also give the children a coin for a prize machine, which is really exciting. The dentist saw my son when we were leaving and gave him another coin and complimented him on how cooperative.. he was. After, that my child was excited to go back the next time!
When we were at the other dentist they told me that next time my child will need to be sedated. I wish I could go back and tell them not to take children as patients if they have no patience for them.
I have private dental insurance and don't feel like I ever get better treatment for it.

ysyaer

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 11:58 am
I use DR Jay in Howell, they are warm and calm and treat the kids really well. What happened to your son is completely unacceptable! I would leave reviews on google to warn other parents , a child should not have to go through that.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 3:28 pm
Yes we go to Dr simchi in northern NJ he is amazing!!! My kids beg to go, we go every 6 months and they get excited!! I have major dental phobia( I wish I can find someone like that for me) he really listens to the kids is funny and goes slow. I stay in the room my children. I have a child who was had a lot of stranger anxiety he was able to work with her and build up trust.we have done routine cleanings, fillings, had teeth pulled and even some crowns and my kids still want to go. my kids have had less cavitys recently and he makes a big deal it makes them feel special
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics