Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
ATT: make up artists and junkies : )
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 11:04 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Always on clients Smile
They gotta look good for the pix!

I'd be so happy if you can give me a list of your top products!!

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 11:04 am
There is a lot of variation in drugstore products. For example, Wet N Wild liquid catsuit lipstick feels high end, but their Silk Finish lipstick and Megalast lip color, both decent products, come in cheap packaging.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 11:57 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'd be so happy if you can give me a list of your top products!!

Absolutely!
-Marc jacobs blurring primer. Pretty expensive. Smash box primer is also amazing
-Makeup forever HD foundation. Also loreal infallible. Wow so good!
-Tarte shape tape concealer. And I like to use the colored Smashbox for correcting undertones tones
-Kat von D setting powder
-Mac blush
-Mac highlighter
-Benefit hoola bronzer
-benefit brows (the silver pencils)
-Mac painterly paint pot (eye primer), smash box also really good.
-natasha danona eyeshadows are stunning but crazy expensive. I have to agree with many posters who are recommending color pop eyeshadows
-Kat von D tattoo liner
-drugstore mascara FOR SURE. Either loreal or Maybelline. Waterproof will last longer.
-color pop lipsticks or Dose of colors
-lipchic to seal the lipstick
-Mac lipglass gloss
-skindinavia setting spray

Am I missing something...?

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 12:03 pm
Hylamide "finishers" make great primers. They have different formulas for different needs; all are formulated in order to make skin look good with or without makeup.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 12:15 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Absolutely!
-Marc jacobs blurring primer. Pretty expensive. Smash box primer is also amazing
-Makeup forever HD foundation. Also loreal infallible. Wow so good!
-Tarte shape tape concealer. And I like to use the colored Smashbox for correcting undertones tones
-Kat von D setting powder
-Mac blush
-Mac highlighter
-Benefit hoola bronzer
-benefit brows (the silver pencils)
-Mac painterly paint pot (eye primer), smash box also really good.
-natasha danona eyeshadows are stunning but crazy expensive. I have to agree with many posters who are recommending color pop eyeshadows
-Kat von D tattoo liner
-drugstore mascara FOR SURE. Either loreal or Maybelline. Waterproof will last longer.
-color pop lipsticks or Dose of colors
-lipchic to seal the lipstick
-Mac lipglass gloss
-skindinavia setting spray

Am I missing something...?

Thank you so much!!
Primer - How does Marc Jacobs compare to Laura Mercier and Hourglass?
Eye cream - what do you use?
Makeup Forever HD Foundation - what do you like so much about it? I felt like it was a little too thick?
Setting powder - I have Laura Mercier - Do you like Kat Von D more?
Mascara - Do you like drugstore more than Benefit Bad Gal Bang?
lipchic- do you not find it too dry?
What is a long lasting lipstick that doesn't crack and dry up?
Could I mix a regular MAC lipstick combined with a longlasting?

Thank you so so much!!!

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 12:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you so much!!
Makeup Forever HD Foundation - what do you like so much about it? I felt like it was a little too thick?

Thank you so so much!!!

-Marc Jacobs seems to be more inclusive in skin types. Otherwise, it is comparable to the others.
-I love tatcha eye cream and moisturizer!
-makeup forever looks really good in professional pix. If you want something lighter, try smash box studio skin. But I'm not kidding- loreal infallible 24 hr is so so amazing
-yes the laura mercier setting powder is comparable
-I love drugstore mascara because I have to throw out and buy new often, and there are really really good ones out there. Loreal is really great. Benefit is known for making some awesome mascaras, so if you already have one then enjoy! But if you didn't get yet, then don't bother and stick with loreal.
-lipchic is drying. Perfect for when my client needs it to last over shabbos! For myself, I'll use a moisturizing lipstick along with it. Mac creme sheen is perfect.

Amarante

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 12:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you so much!!

Thank you so so much!!!

All of the brands suggested are fine brands but the critical issue is that there are so many variations in terms of makeup and skin care that a recommendation from someone on the internet who hasn't seen your face or discussed your concerns is a bit meaningless - especially in terms of stuff like foundation.

There are many high quality brands both even within the same high quality brand, there will be variations in terms of foundation (for example). Some are full cover - some have a matte finish etc. etc. The only way to find out which ones work best for you is to go in person to test in terms of color and finish. I could also recommend Lancome or Feinty or IT - but I would suggest taking some time one day to go to a store that carries a wide variety of brands and check foundation for yourself.

In terms of mascara - again there are lots of different types of brushes and formulas. Many makeup artists swear by the old reliable Maybelline in the classic green and pink packaging. However, I have recently tried a mascara by THRIVE which is a so-called tubing mascara. It is amazing in terms of maximizing my thin sparse lashes with one coat. Because it is tubing, it washes off very easily and is waterproof - e.g. doesn't smear if you have oily skin or get a bit wet.

You can mix and match lipsticks to your heart's content. In general liquid lipsticks are extremely drying although they are long lasting. I find them for the most part uncomfortable to wear. However, there are some relatively long lasting lipsticks which don't dry to a very uncomfortable matte finish. And using a lip balm or gloss over them helps moisturize and make them more comfortable.

Laura Mercier makes great products FWIW. Her specialty is very natural looking makeup.

It may or may not be of concern to anyone but Kat Von D is boycotted by many women because she is believed to have Nazi sympathies and is a very vocal anti-vaxxer. I am not advocating to boycott her but you should google and see if it is something that concerns you. There are so many quality brands that there is no reason to opt for a brand that makes you in any way uncomfortable.

Regarding facial primer - I personally don't think Marc Jacobs skin products are all that because that is not his expertise. Hourglass and Laura Mercier are more in their wheelhouse. Again though it depends on what you want the primer to achieve - a blurring type of primer helps minimize fine lines and pores.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 12:44 pm
The standard mascara type is unhygienic, but the only alternative is Bésame, and they discontinued their cream, so only the block is available (and it doesn't have such great reviews).

Amarante

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 12:47 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
The standard mascara type is unhygienic, but the only alternative is Bésame, and they discontinued their cream, so only the block is available (and it doesn't have such great reviews).

Mascara isn't unhygienic when used as directed. It should be discarded about three or four months and should NEVER be shared.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 12:48 pm
Amarante wrote:
Mascara isn't unhygienic when used as directed. It should be discarded about three or four months and should NEVER be shared.

It's generally safe, but it's still a lot less hygienic compared to alternative packaging.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 1:33 pm
Blush and Amarante, thank you!!

How does Bobbi Brown foundation compare? Do you know?

Amarante, I know you think internet rec's are useless, but what do you personally love?

Amarante

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 4:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Amarante, I know you think internet rec's are useless, but what do you personally love?

Which products specifically - I am not super loyal except for a few products which I have found to work better than others for me - but might not for everyone.

I love the Benefit Gimme Brow brow gel as it colors my brow hairs as well as grooms them in place. I have tried other - powder and pencil but I find the tinted brow gels are the easiest for me to get a good result for.

I am somewhat of an eyeshadow hoarder as I can't resist a good palette. However, in my opinion for a starter set of eyeshadows and for somewhat who likes more of a natural look, you really can't go wrong with one of the Urban Decay Naked Palettes. I have the Naked3 palette because the rosy neutrals seem to work better with my coloring but you might prefer 1 or 2. You can get a super natural easy look or you can also use it to get a more smokey night time look if you want.

In terms of lip product Benefit makes a liquid lip and cheek stain which is great for a natural look. The stain lasts quite a while and then you can apply gloss or balm or even Chapstick for a shinier look.

Right now I am using a Lancome foundation but I also liked the Feinty foundation I tried and Feinty comes in a LOT of colors. With foundations you really need to buy it at least for the first one at the store to see what works best. And once you have a foundation that works well for you, many on-line sources will recommend a foundation based on the one you are using - I.e. you fill in brand and color and they tell you which of their own brand is the best match.

I like the Urban Decay eye primers but Nars has one that I liked as well. As was posted above, MAC makes cream eyeshadows (Paint Pots) which can also be used as primers but I find that the "dedicated" primers seem to work better so I don't get creases on my lids and also helping the shadow last longer.

There is a line of skin care products put out by The Ordinary which are incredibly cheap but contain the same ingredients as the more expensive brands. Sephora carries them. As I posted, I subscribe to some Beauty Boxes so I have sampled a lot of the more expensive brands of skin care products which is fun. I would never spend $200 on an eye cream but it is nice to treat myself to one that came in one of my boxes Very Happy

I like the eye liners that are like miniature felt tip pens. They seem to last a long time and they are easy to control. Clinique makes one that I've used but right now I am using one by Hank & Henry that came in a box and works fine as well.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 5:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Most Bobbi brown foundations are very long wearing and medium coverage. The only thing is, they tend to be drying. So it's not good if you have dry skin.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 6:33 pm
I have both the Laura Mercier and Kat Von D and I gotta say I like the Kat Von D more.
With just a bit of product your under eyes will be fully set and the make up won't smudge at all. A little goes a really long way. As mentioned above she is a known anti-Semite which did make me uncomfortable at first.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 12:58 pm
Amarante wrote:
Which products specifically - I am not super loyal except for a few products which I have found to work better than others for me - but might not for everyone.

I love the Benefit Gimme Brow brow gel as it colors my brow hairs as well as grooms them in place. I have tried other - powder and pencil but I find the tinted brow gels are the easiest for me to get a good result for.

I am somewhat of an eyeshadow hoarder as I can't resist a good palette. However, in my opinion for a starter set of eyeshadows and for somewhat who likes more of a natural look, you really can't go wrong with one of the Urban Decay Naked Palettes. I have the Naked3 palette because the rosy neutrals seem to work better with my coloring but you might prefer 1 or 2. You can get a super natural easy look or you can also use it to get a more smokey night time look if you want.

In terms of lip product Benefit makes a liquid lip and cheek stain which is great for a natural look. The stain lasts quite a while and then you can apply gloss or balm or even Chapstick for a shinier look.

Right now I am using a Lancome foundation but I also liked the Feinty foundation I tried and Feinty comes in a LOT of colors. With foundations you really need to buy it at least for the first one at the store to see what works best. And once you have a foundation that works well for you, many on-line sources will recommend a foundation based on the one you are using - I.e. you fill in brand and color and they tell you which of their own brand is the best match.

I like the Urban Decay eye primers but Nars has one that I liked as well. As was posted above, MAC makes cream eyeshadows (Paint Pots) which can also be used as primers but I find that the "dedicated" primers seem to work better so I don't get creases on my lids and also helping the shadow last longer.

There is a line of skin care products put out by The Ordinary which are incredibly cheap but contain the same ingredients as the more expensive brands. Sephora carries them. As I posted, I subscribe to some Beauty Boxes so I have sampled a lot of the more expensive brands of skin care products which is fun. I would never spend $200 on an eye cream but it is nice to treat myself to one that came in one of my boxes Very Happy

I like the eye liners that are like miniature felt tip pens. They seem to last a long time and they are easy to control. Clinique makes one that I've used but right now I am using one by Hank & Henry that came in a box and works fine as well.

Which of The Ordinary products do you like? What is a really good but not expensive eye cream?

Amarante

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 1:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Which of The Ordinary products do you like? What is a really good but not expensive eye cream?

LOL LOL The Ordinary has SO MANY products geared to different needs. It is really overwhelming.

However, if you go to their actual website, they have a pretty good explanation of what the different ingredients are for and which of their products work best to target specific issues.

Right now I am experiencing wrinkles and adult acne - who knew I would still get pimples when I was worrying about wrinkles. Very Happy It's kind of the equivalent of my Bubbe asking me whether I would be sucking my thumb at the Chuppa. LOL LOL

So I purchased some of the strong Glycolic and Lactic acid products but haven't started using them as I am using up a few bottles of other stuff.

The most important thing you can do is use good sunscreen ALL THE TIME. I did and also wore sunglasses in the sun and I have way fewer wrinkles - even laugh lines - than my friends who sat in the sun more.

Right now I am using a product by Murad for my eyes - Retinol Youth Renewal Serum. I am not crazy about it but will use it up. I have a similar type product by Dr. Brandt waiting for me. Retinol in an eye cream is supposed to help with fine lines.

In terms of skin care - as I posted, I cleanse - then use a toner with a pad. Right now I am doing a bit of a chemical type peel so I am using a product called Dr. Loretta Micro Peel Peptide Pads. I just started yesterday so I don't know what the results are. Then I use a serum and then a moisturizer.

I keep a tube of a cleanser that exfoliates in the shower and use that because it's easier to wash off in the shower than at the sink. The one I am using is by Murad. I am almost through with that tube so I will be using something from Skin& Co - their Truffle Therapy Face Gommage.

I get most of my products through my beauty box subscriptions and since the cost of an individual product isn't that much, I have a lot of fun trying out new stuff. It's a great way to try new stuff. IPSY has a bag that is $12 per month and contains five products which are sample sized which work great as testers. For a bit more money you can subscribe to boxes that offer full size products - a mix of skincare and makeup.

ETA - High retail values on makeup and skin care are somewhat of a scam IMO - at least after a certain level. The high price bears no relationship to quality necessarily as ingredients are the least expensive part of a product. Of course there are bad cheap products and wonderful expensive products. If you research ingredients and what they are supposed to do, you are equipped to judge whether to try something. I singled out The Ordinary because their whole business model is to offer a broad range of products which contain the same ingredients as their more expensive counterparts. But as posted, it can be confusing to weed through all of their choices.

ETA - There is a product called Micellar Water which is really nice to use to cleanse the face. It is carried at all price points from drugstore to expensive and I don't think there is any reason to splurge. I use one from the drugstore by Garnier. I like it because I can wipe my face clean but gently. Also I have to confess I keep it at my desk at home and sometimes I use it because I am too lazy to wash my face at the moment but I can have a nice fresh clean face without having to trek to the bathroom. It's also a gentle way to remove eye makeup.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 1:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Eye creams are SO expensive, it should be a crime.
Try the olay regenerist. Its like $30 in CVS

Amarante

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 1:56 pm
I can't vouch for this specifically but The Ordinary has an eye cream that sells for $6.70 which has decent ingredients. Don't forget that you can alway add a bit of regular moisturizer which is typically less expensive around your eyes.

Here's an article regarding various products from The Ordinary

https://www.whowhatwear.com/th.....lide3

Eye creams are costly for whatever reason but they last a long time because you use such a tiny bit each time you apply.

Here's one that was recommended for wrinkles including around the eye

For a Botox-like effect…

“Peptides like argireline have neuromodulatory-like effects that relax the tiny muscles in the skin, making it look smoother and tighter,” says Dr. Bucay. This Botox-like effect can prevent deeper wrinkles from forming and even smooth out existing fine lines. While not necessarily a cream specifically for the eyes, The Ordinary Argireline Solution 10% ($8) can be smoothed around the eye area and along the forehead to improves the appearance of facial areas that are prone to creasing.

Here's one specifically for the eye area

https://theordinary.com/produc.....vis=1

Reduces Appearance of Eye Contour Pigmentation and of Puffiness

This light-textured formula contains an extremely high 5% concentration of caffeine, supplemented with highly-purified Epigallocatechin Gallatyl Glucoside (EGCG) from green tea leaves. Independent studies have shown that topical use of each of caffeine and EGCG can help reduce looks of puffiness and of dark circles in the eye contour. Additional studies have shown that caffeine can also reduce the appearance of cellulite.

Notes:

1. Hollowness in the eye contour as a result of structure of sub-dermal tissues like fat and bone can result in visible shadows under the eyes. This shadow, which is not to be mistaken for dark circles, cannot be addressed with topical skincare including this formula.

2. Fat deposits under the eye contour can create permanent puffiness in this area. This type of deposit cannot be improved with topical skincare, including this formula.

3. Supplied in UV-protective packaging as EGCG is sensitive to light.

Directions
Massage a small amount onto the eye contour AM and PM. If irritation occurs, cease use and consult a physician. Use only as directed on unbroken skin. Patch testing prior to use is advised. Refer to our in-depth guide to patch testing. Keep out of reach of children.

Ingredients
Aqua (Water), Caffeine, Maltodextrin, Glycerin, Propanediol, Epigallocatechin Gallatyl Glucoside, Gallyl Glucoside, Hyaluronic Acid, Oxidized Glutathione, Melanin, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Seed Extract, Urea, Pentylene Glycol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Polyacrylate Crosspolymer-6, Xanthan gum, Lactic Acid, Dehydroacetic Acid, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Propyl Gallate, Dimethyl Isosorbide, Benzyl Alcohol, 1,2-Hexanediol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol.

Our formulations are updated from time to time as part of our commitment to innovation. As such, the ingredient list shown here may vary from the box of the product depending on time and region of purchase.

The newest addition to The Ordinary range is Caffeine Solution 5% + EGCG. This light-textured formula contains an extremely high 5% concentration of caffeine, supplemented with highly-purified Epigallocatechin Gallatyl Glucoside (EGCG) from green tea leaves. Independent studies have shown that topical use of caffeine and/or EGCG can help reduce the look of puffiness and dark circles in the eye contour. Additional studies have shown that caffeine can also reduce the appearance of cellulite.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 10:11 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
OMG my friend just called me up and asked if I had written this. Laugh
Everyone has bad products. I am behind CP also 100 percent except for:
cils

- Their liquid lipsticks go bad after 6-12 months.

You mean all Colourpop Liquid Lipsticks?

How long do other Liquid Lipsticks last? And what do you mean by "go bad"?

rosegold

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 10:31 pm
The arbonne products are 100 percent chemical free and are absolutely amazing!!
I’ll share more info if anyone is interested please pm me
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics