Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
For parents who DO vaccinate, do you give the flu vaccine?
1  2  3  Next

If you do vaccinate your children, do you give them the flu vaccine, too?
Yes  
 60%  [ 69 ]
No  
 40%  [ 46 ]
Total Votes : 115

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 1:11 pm
(Subject says it all - if you do generally vaccinate your children, do you have your children also get the flu vaccine each year?)

Why/Why not?

ETA: I had a 3rd option "Depends" but it doesn't look like it's showing up, sorry.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 1:12 pm
Yes.

Most pediatric deaths were in children who weren't vaccinated.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 1:14 pm
four years ago my friend lost a six month old to the flu. NOW I vaccinate whether we know if the strain works or not.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 1:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
(Subject says it all - if you do generally vaccinate your children, do you have your children also get the flu vaccine each year?)

Why/Why not?

ETA: I had a 3rd option "Depends" but it doesn't look like it's showing up, sorry.

Depends on the year. We look at how Australia's flu season went, at how serious the flu was and whether the vaccine was effective. Last year we decided to skip it, this year we decided to do it.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 1:16 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
four years ago my friend lost a six month old to the flu. NOW I vaccinate whether we know if the strain works or not.

Unrelated of course but I'm curious, was the 6mo BF or FF?
(Yes I know I know, I am just curious.)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 1:18 pm

That's really sad. Obviously a baby that young doesn't get the vaccine, I believe. Did the rest of the family not get vaccinated?

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 1:21 pm
Yes
My husband got the flu once and it was awful. Over the years I did have 2 kids come down with flu symptoms. One dc got better within 2 days and the other had high fever, so we gave flu medication. This was when they offered the nasal spray.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 1:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That's really sad. Obviously a baby that young doesn't get the vaccine, I believe. Did the rest of the family not get vaccinated?

Six months is the youngest the vaccine can be administered.
Last year my baby got flu at two months. B"H it was relatively mild (compared to the rest of us).

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 1:30 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Six months is the youngest the vaccine can be administered.
Last year my baby got flu at two months. B"H it was relatively mild (compared to the rest of us).

Was your decision to vaccinate this year at all related to the fact that your family got the flu last year?

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 1:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Was your decision to vaccinate this year at all related to the fact that your family got the flu last year?

No, it was related to the fact that this year's vaccine seems to be working and there seem to be more hospitalizations this year as well.
In my husband's words, "last year we decided not to vaccinate, it's not that we decided to vaccinate this year."
I generally leave the flu shot decisions up to him so go with what he said. Very Happy

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 1:39 pm
No, it was related to the fact that this year's vaccine seems to be working and there seem to be more hospitalizations this year as well.
In my husband's words, "last year we decided not to vaccinate, it's not that we decided to vaccinate this year."
I generally leave the flu shot decisions up to him so go with what he said. Very Happy

Are you willing to share what his background is? (Just curious why it's mostly his decision, not judging.)

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 1:42 pm
No
I give what is legally mandatory, as well as a few others
No chicken pox either, not recommended here

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 1:44 pm
Ruchel wrote:
No
I give what is legally mandatory, as well as a few others
No chicken pox either, not recommended here

I personally hold off on chicken pox as long as I can, but schools require it here Sad

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 1:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Are you willing to share what his background is? (Just curious why it's mostly his decision, not judging.)

Mmm totally willing but not on the forum.
I chose to leave it to him because he has more patience to dig through the medical literature, even though we are equally capable of doing so.
He leaves other things to my judgment.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 1:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I personally hold off on chicken pox as long as I can, but schools require it here Sad

I was like that too till I did a bit more research and understood that a) it prevents complications, not necessarily the disease, b) chickenpox is a virus that primarily affects the nervous system. I don't play games with the nervous system and an unvaccinated child is sure to get the chickenpox at some point. At least if you vax the chance of hospitalization and death is nil.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 1:56 pm
I was like that too till I did a bit more research and understood that a) it prevents complications, not necessarily the disease, b) chickenpox is a virus that primarily affects the nervous system. I don't play games with the nervous system and an unvaccinated child is sure to get the chickenpox at some point. At least if you vax the chance of hospitalization and death is nil.

So do you do it when recommended (at 1)?

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 2:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So do you do it when recommended (at 1)?

Yes. But I recently (dose 2 for one kid, dose 1 for the next) started requesting that the MMR and V be given as two separate jabs on the same day. So it's three jabs instead of 2 for the 1-year vaccine, so what.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 2:51 pm
Yes, the whole family gets it. There have been some unfortunate cases of people not waking up after having what seemed like a regular flu. My frum Dr said that having the shot is a hishtadlus and our Rav agreed. BH we didn't suffer any side effects apart from a heavy arm.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 3:01 pm
There was just a huge thread on this.
Yes - my daughter is on humira so she must get it.

180 pediatric deaths last year from the flu.
75% were not vaccinated.
(Toddler died in Lakewood of flu related issues last year).

To me the vaccination work if don’t have hospitalization, complications or death ch’v.

(Btw there is no thermisol or live viruses in shot given to kids in most USA peditrician offices).

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 3:02 pm

Do you know if the baby was given tamiflu? That has contributed to many flu related deaths
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics