Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Sugar cookies to make chanuka shapes
Previous  1  2

bubby

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 8:32 am
momomany wrote:
I made 1/2 recipe & got about 50 dreidels - very firm forgiving dough

Excuse my ignorance, but what's "forgiving dough"?

I want to make Chanukah cookies with my DGD...should be fun!

Love My Babes

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 9:52 am
LeahW wrote:
4 sticks of margarine?
I was wondering the same, but its 6 cups flour, so technically its a larger recipe than most ppl need.

im just wondering how the dough is to work with. I got chanuka cutters and I want my daughter to be able to do them. even with me helping, if its too sticky its not fun. anyone know?

slushiemom

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 9:56 am
made them this afternoon with a few 3 year olds, and the dough was great too work with, not too sticky at all. I halved the recipe ( and mixed by hand)

momomany

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 10:08 am
Quote:
Excuse my ignorance, but what's "forgiving dough"?

easy to work with, not really "ruinable", not delicate

bashinda

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 10:22 am
I had a hard time at first with this dough. When I rolled, parts of the dough would easily come up onto the rolling pin and it wasn't a sticky dough either, but the more I worked with it the easier it was (which is good because I heard of doughs where the more you work with it the worst it is.) It's not that sweet, so you definitely need something on top.

The kids had a great time though. We put chocolate chips on top for one tray and then we put sprinkles on another and we still have more dough to use for today.

So thanks for the recipe [:

ra_mom

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 11:26 am
I'm going to try this tonight with dd iy"H. We already tried another one of estibesty's cake recipes with good results!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 11:36 am
estibesty wrote:
I just mixed confectionery sugar and water and diff food coloring and they had a blast decorating
Did you heat this frosting mixture, or just mixed by hand?
Also, how did the kids use the frosting you made? Did you put them into baggies a little whole on the bottom?

mommalah

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 11:51 am
willow wrote:
Its not my recipe
BASIC COOKIE DOUGH:

4 cups of flour
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
3/4 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon water or juice
4 teaspoon baking powder
Mix well (it might be a little greasy but its fine)
work into a dough ( I find it a bit crumbly with ww but its fine keep sticking it together)
I don't use a rolling pin, just mash down with my hands.
Use cookie cutters
place shapes on the pan
decorate how you want
bake 350 about 10 minutes
take out before you think its baked. ( it is baked but it looks not quite brown yet)
Then a few minutes later after it cools u have a lovely soft cookie made with fun and love.

Thanks for this ww/no margarine recipe! Do I just mix all the ingredients together?

momomany

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 11:53 am
I always roll cookie doughs between 2 pieces of parchment - no sticking, no mess & usually no need for extra flour, which toughens the dough. This particular dough (I meant the ops dough, but the brownie is also sturdy) is so sturdy that it is simple to lift the shapes up & transfer to cookie sheets. For delicate doughs, I roll directly on the cookie sheets (on parchment) & then peel away the scraps with no need to move the shapes. After the cookies were all in the pan, I sprayed them with oil spray (before baking) & we decorated with colored sugar, chips & wilton decorations. It was fun! The oil (I think) held the decorations on. It was simple!

The following is a super-easy perfect roll-out cookie with cocoa in it. Smells & tastes yummy-makes a dark brown cookie

Brownie Roll-Out Cookies*

3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 sticks margarine
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa (I used the “good” stuff)
Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Whisk dry flour, salt and baking powder in bowl and set aside. Mix margarine, sugar, eggs, vanilla and cocoa in mixer. Gradually add flour mixture, and mix until smooth. Wrap in plastic and chill for at least one hour.
Roll out cookie dough between 2 sheets of parchment.
Bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet for 8 to 11 minutes (the former for 1/8-inch thick cookies, the latter for 1/4-inch cookies) until the edges are firm and the centers are slightly soft and puffed.
Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

bashinda

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 1:28 pm
momomany, thanks for the tips on rolling and for the recipe. The one roll out cookie I have with cocoa does not roll out well at all. I think I'll try this recipe next time IY"H.

estibesty

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 2:57 pm
[quote="ra_mom"]
estibesty wrote:
I just mixed confectionery sugar and water and diff food coloring and they had a blast decorating
Did you heat this frosting mixture, or just mixed by hand?
Also, how did the kids use the frosting you made? Did you put them into baggies a little whole on the bot

well the fancy icing has merange ( I have no clue how to spell it) powder it comes out shiny my friend uses that icing when she decorates these cookies for simchos (I could get the recipe if anyone wants it)
but for the kids we jsut mixed confectionery sugar and water and food coloring in a bowl I dont know the amounts just till it came out a decent texture and then they smeared it on cookies and put diff. sprinkles etc.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 9:05 pm
Thanks esty. I didn't see your post until now, but that's exactly what we did with confectioner's sugar.
It was a great project and they came out adorable, so that you!

willow

Post Fri, Dec 11 2009, 3:19 am
mommalah, yes mix in one bowl. Its a fantastic and versatile recipe.

scb88

Post Sun, Dec 13 2009, 1:19 pm
Just put up the dough - and it feels great! Thanks for the recipe!

zzzz

Post Sun, Dec 13 2009, 9:23 pm
willow wrote:

BASIC COOKIE DOUGH:

4 cups of flour
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
3/4 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon water or juice
4 teaspoon baking powder
Mix well (it might be a little greasy but its fine)
work into a dough ( I find it a bit crumbly with ww but its fine keep sticking it together)
Use cookie cutters
bake 350 about 10 minutes
take out before you think its baked. ( it is baked but it looks not quite brown yet)
Then a few minutes later after it cools u have a lovely soft cookie made with fun and love.

I used this dough today and loved it! especially because it does not call for margarine.

jewishmom6

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 2:23 pm
momomany wrote:
I always roll cookie doughs between 2 pieces of parchment - no sticking, no mess & usually no need for extra flour, which toughens the dough. This particular dough (I meant the ops dough, but the brownie is also sturdy) is so sturdy that it is simple to lift the shapes up & transfer to cookie sheets. For delicate doughs, I roll directly on the cookie sheets (on parchment) & then peel away the scraps with no need to move the shapes. After the cookies were all in the pan, I sprayed them with oil spray (before baking) & we decorated with colored sugar, chips & wilton decorations. It was fun! The oil (I think) held the decorations on. It was simple!

The following is a super-easy perfect roll-out cookie with cocoa in it. Smells & tastes yummy-makes a dark brown cookie

Brownie Roll-Out Cookies*

3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 sticks margarine
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa (I used the “good” stuff)
Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Whisk dry flour, salt and baking powder in bowl and set aside. Mix margarine, sugar, eggs, vanilla and cocoa in mixer. Gradually add flour mixture, and mix until smooth. Wrap in plastic and chill for at least one hour.
Roll out cookie dough between 2 sheets of parchment.
Bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet for 8 to 11 minutes (the former for 1/8-inch thick cookies, the latter for 1/4-inch cookies) until the edges are firm and the centers are slightly soft and puffed.
Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

bumping this up.
Anyone made this brownie roll-out cookie?

Chocomama

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 2:21 pm
These brownie cookies are from the Smitten Kitchen website if you want to see the reviews. My daughter made these yesterday. She was in the mood of making chocolate cookies instead of regular sugar cookie cutouts for chanukah. They're really good!

slushiemom

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 6:01 am
estibesty wrote:
I always looked around for a good dough to make cookie cutter shapes I finally found one that was a g8 texture to work with

4 stick margarine
2 cup sugar
2 egg
6 cup flour
2 tbsp vanilla (I used van sugar)
mix the sugar and eggs and then add flour

just want to edit that when I made this yesterday I did the cookie cutters and my kids just decorated might be too sticky for the little ones

Thank you!! Just used this recipe again Smile
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins