Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
2019: The Imamother Year In Review! What YOU Learned..
Previous  1  2  3  Next

pause

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 11:28 pm
crust wrote:
I miss you and I love you all!
Gotta keep my commitment.
Good night!

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii! Hi

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 11:38 pm
shmosmom wrote:
I learned that people will post as amother, and then ask you to post with your screen name so they can dm you. I think I'm starting a new little rule for myself, if OP is amother then my responses will be anonymous too, as obviously she must feel this is way too of a personal topic. Fair?

Disagree. Sometimes it's the timing that's sensitive, or the fact that it's someone else's story. Let's say someone is going through a miscarriage, for example, and they need to talk to someone who's been there before. Or let's say someone's child is going through a mental health crisis and they don't want to out their child's identity to the masses. Also, many people are more open about certain topics than others. People can ask for DMs, and if someone is comfortable sharing their own screen name, that's great. No need for tit-for-tat.

I posted a bunch of stuff as amother last year when one of my kids was going through medical stuff and I didn't want to start any rumors before I even knew what was going on. Like I said, there are a gazillion reasons to go amother and still ask for DMs.

(edited for typos)

Jewishfoodie

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 7:43 am
I learned not to ever start a vaccine thread. Under any circumstances. Not even, "Where can my child get vaccinated."

I also learned the ra-mom knows literally everything there is to know about food. (except how to make quinoa edible to me)

So if you have a food question, you'll save more time by just posting, "ra-mom, my challah is raw in the middle. WWYD?"

imanonymous

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 7:59 am

Last edited by imanonymous on Thu, May 06 2021, 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

glamourmom

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 4:00 pm
Jewishfoodie wrote:
I learned not to ever start a vaccine thread. Under any circumstances. Not even, "Where can my child get vaccinated."

I also learned the ra-mom knows literally everything there is to know about food. (except how to make quinoa edible to me)

So if you have a food question, you'll save more time by just posting, "ra-mom, my challah is raw in the middle. WWYD?"

ra-mom is the best. she's been assisting imas with their culinary questions for YEARS. and if you have an open mind I'm sure she can get you to love quinoa more than chocolate. unless ofc she doesn't like it either. Wink

is it just me that this thread has choking up? in light of recent events it's heart warming to see such camaraderie and appreciation of one another.

chanatron1000

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 4:02 pm
shmosmom wrote:
I learned that people will post as amother, and then ask you to post with your screen name so they can dm you. I think I'm starting a new little rule for myself, if OP is amother then my responses will be anonymous too, as obviously she must feel this is way too of a personal topic. Fair?

The only way two amothers can contact each other is via temporary email services.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 4:13 pm
crust wrote:
Hey Thunder! How are you? I miss you!
I wasn't on for a few months because I was trying to set limits to my screen usage.
Bh it was successful. šŸ’Ŗ

An ima freind sent me a screenshot of your post and I had to come by to say hi.

We still have to go out for coffee one day. Let's make that day happen soon so you'll see how far from lost I am. šŸ˜‰

Oh! Hi!!!!! Iā€™m so happy to hear your voice! And thanks ima friend for helping me out in hunting Crust down. So glad you were found!

suremom

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 4:22 pm
Jewishfoodie wrote:

I learnt that quinoa looks like pinworms. Now no more quinoa for me. I think Jewishfoode deserves thanks for that! Punch

Jewishfoodie

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 4:51 pm
suremom wrote:
I learnt that quinoa looks like pinworms. Now no more quinoa for me. I think Jewishfoode deserves thanks for that! Punch

But now you know what pinworms look like somewhat... So.. You're welcome! Mothers helping mothers...

I also learned this year on Ima that, while none of us are at all alike, we all have to admit that at the end of the day, we are all one. We can argue for hours but when one of us is hurt, all of us hurt.

I'm proud to know such a great group of women.

(and I try to ignore a man or two once in while.. How he answers those questions with a straight face is beyond me..)

Jewishfoodie

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 4:57 pm
(Oh! And I learned about that "special towel". Please don't ask me to elaborate. I won't, as I'm engaging in a bit of reverse peristalsis here... And let's not forget Lashon Nekia)

singleagain

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 7:02 pm
I learned to speak kindly to people. That we are all other people on the other end of the screen. And same for real life
Also... I learned no one needs to hear you're whole life story itsok to leave our details and establish boundaries

InnerMe

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 3:11 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I learned that some very popular amothers vanished out of the blue and left me here wondering where they disappeared to and why they left .
Examples: Crust, Inner Me, Simba, Pesek Zman etc.

Imamother this year has made me realize Iā€™m getting old. I always felt so young but with women here that are almost the age of my children itā€™s starting to hit me that Iā€™m from the ā€œolder and wiserā€ crowd.

I discovered a private forum that I became a part of and itā€™s a wonderful and loving support group. I didnā€™t realize what a difference a private forum could make vs. the general imamother forum.

I learned about $780 sneakers this year and it got me Googling and checking them out because imamother piqued my curiosity.

Hey there!
So lovely to be mentioned here, fills me with a nice warm feeling that my absence has been noticed!

I've been busy with a my career path as a copywriter and it's taken up most of my time. No more boring stretches of office time that I need to fill with Imamother so I guess that's a positive.

I sometimes see threads I want to reply to but then I don't know if I'll have time to respond... so I just leave it be.

I still feel a connection to so many of you who I've had wonderful conversations with and I'm happy to see your screen names. Hi
Jewish Foodie, always brings a smile to my face when I see you sn!

Jewishfoodie

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 3:49 pm
InnerMe wrote:
Hey there!
So lovely to be mentioned here, fills me with a nice warm feeling that my absence has been noticed!

I've been busy with a my career path as a copywriter and it's taken up most of my time. No more boring stretches of office time that I need to fill with Imamother so I guess that's a positive.

I sometimes see threads I want to reply to but then I don't know if I'll have time to respond... so I just leave it be.

I still feel a connection to so many of you who I've had wonderful conversations with and I'm happy to see your screen names. Hi
Jewish Foodie, always brings a smile to my face when I see you sn!
Hug

You've been missed!! But best of luck on your career path!!

And that's another awesome thing I leaned this year! No matter how busy anyone is, they always take a few minutes to make others feel good. Putting a smile on a face. Whether by giving advice, giving a favorite recipe or just sharing a funny anecdote!

And the most amazing thing is that Imas post their special deals and bargains, so other mothers can benefit too!! That's just soo selfless!

OH! And there are soo many Imas who write great poetry!

Which reminds me, my little granddaughter learned the art of the insult! She came to me with this gem:

There are rocks in the ocean,
There are rocks in the sea..
But how they got in your head..
Is a mystery to me...

So what did YOU learn on Ima this year?

Cookiegirl

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 4:53 pm
I learned (or re-learned) that "ein chadash tachas hashemesh" is so true. I have had a tough year (and a half) and though I didn't post about it (LOTS of unsent drafts though) I did get chizzuk from reading older threads that touched on my challenges. Thanks to all the women who share...it is a chesed.

I also got tremendous comic relief many times...especially from Jewishfoodie, and others. The upside of insomnia!

Thanks all for being here!

chipmunks

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 4:58 pm
I learned that no matter what the post is actually about, someone can make it about food! And speaking of food (because food means love), I learned that no matter how much we may argue we really love each other and most of us realize that we are sisters.

chefmama

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 5:02 pm
I've learned that you're (OP) funny! Very Happy Also, some posters have such good advice, nice things to say, but they post anonymously... I'd like to know who gets to be so smart, but is oh so shy? Hiding
This site is also seriously addictive!! Can't Believe It

imanonymous

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 5:47 pm

Last edited by imanonymous on Thu, May 06 2021, 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jewishfoodie

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 5:51 pm
This year learned that, if you just opened an imamother account, don't try to ask mothers for details about their abuse at the hands of their GP. cuz you will get RUN OUTA TOWN!!

And, totally disagree about every thread turning to food. BTW, does anyone have a good recipe for falafal balls from scratch? (Not literally. When I see people scratching themselves and then continuing to cook, I know it's food I will NOT be eating...

Ohhhh. I see what you mean, chipmunk...

chipmunks

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 6:00 pm
Jewishfoodie wrote:

And, totally disagree about every thread turning to food. BTW, does anyone have a good recipe for falafal balls from scratch? (Not literally. When I see people scratching themselves and then continuing to cook, I know it's food I will NOT be eating...

Ohhhh. I see what you mean, chipmunk...

LOL No, no, not every thread actually turns into food (though maybe the majority do!) But the most random things...hugs, baby names, I'm feeling run-down (are you eating? you're not eating! Someone get this lady some soup!)...show that we are experts at doing it if we feel like it. Or maybe if we're hungry.

Seriously, I'm hungry. Mmm, soup....

I tried making falafel balls from scratch once but they didn't hold properly. Too chunky. It was from a great cookbook though, so I think it's just cuz I didn't have a food processor at the time.

tigerwife

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 6:09 pm
Iā€™ve learned that American Politics is an addictive and dangerous subject, and those who are into it will defend their beliefs no matter had awful the backlash is. (Not me- I can barely manage to skim them.)

Iā€™ve gotten lots of good book references this year as well.

Iā€™m always impressed at the outpouring of chesed and support here.

Thanks, all!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics