Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
What's the deal with costco?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Optione

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 2:29 pm
Here's what makes my Costco membership worth it:
Kirkland frozen Alaskan Salmon
Kirkland baby Wipes
Kirkland toilet paper
Kirkland paper towels
Cholov Yisroel cheese
Frozen vegetables
Kids pajamas

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 2:48 pm
I’m not a member
I like amazon prime, Walmart, bingo.. lots of stores near me with sales.
I’m not looking for a new place to shop. I hate schlepping home items in bulk.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 3:05 pm
Like others said, it's worth it if you're a savvy shopper. We almost exclusively buy items that are cheaper than elsewhere, or only available at Costco. Most products are cheaper on sale at my local stores, so we don't buy those at Costco. We go about once a month.

nylon

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 3:11 pm
It's worth it if they carry the things you use and you have room to store--and you use enough of it. We do. You also have to know their rhythms... for example this time of year they have vanilla beans at a great price, but they usually only have them around x-mas. Their vanilla extract is a terrific price if you bake a lot. This week my Costco had King Arthur Flour at $5 for 12 lbs which was fantastic (usually mine only has Gold Medal). I love their salmon also. If you live around NYC where you have a lot of choices for kosher products you may not see Costco as such a bargain for fresh food.

Also, we got appliances through Costco and got a great deal. We've also bought small appliances from there.

happyone

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 3:14 pm
if your house allows for storage and bulk purchases, Costco is my pantry. I stock up on all non perishables, aside for the fact that I feel their fruit and veggies are best quality in my area.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 3:55 pm
They have nice coats and various other apparel.

Ima4therecord

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 4:04 pm
You can never go wrong with paper towels, toilet paper, oil, milk etc. (also the milk never goes back legit even after two weeks) also I find Costco branded things (Kirkland) are really high quality stuff (even better than high popular quality brands) I use Kirkland formula and diapers, oil, apple sauce squeezes. Paper towels... And good prices. Also have nice clothes and just random things and they r always changing stuff there so you never know what you might find! Also I dunno where you live but I LOVE Costco cake! Lol but now I'm yoshon and can't have it Crying

imorethanamother

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 4:54 pm
Guys, the GIFT CARDS!

They're always like $100 worth of gift cards for $80! And with the holidays coming and a billion therapists to give to, it's totally worth it.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 7:05 pm
Yes, you do have to be careful not to overdo it. But after a while you get used to buying what you need. I buy produce, the best! All Kirkland brand items are superior quality and prices can’t be beat. Baby wipes, flushable wipes, bottled water, 9x13s, parchment paper, honey, olive oil, nuts, spices- best garlic powder! Condiments, apple sauce pouches, frozen pizza and chicken nuggets, lens solution, 2 dozen roses for Like $16 and super fresh. Also, they have amazing toy deals before Xmas.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 7:47 pm
I have storage room this is basically what I get
Tissues
Toilet paper
Grape juice
Water bottles
Drink boxes
I have a table/chair gemach and but lots of tables from there and some of my chairs as well
I find they have great produce, honey, frozen products, bulk cheese, deli, parchment paper, silver foil, Ziploc bags, garbage bags, and lots more.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 8:01 pm
Just a gripe. They had forever stamps on sale but only the holiday ones. I am NOT putting Santa Claus on my son's bar mitzvah invitations. I feel like it was insensitive to limit the sale price to holiday themed ones.

Other than that, I love their customer service. Head gloves are great quality BTW if anyone is shopping there now (not sure if they are still sale price or not). I buy honey and maple syrup, whitefish salad, salmon, tilapia, lox, deli, mozzarella cheese, pizza, chicken cutlets, breaded chicken tenders, London Broil, brisket, ground beef, pareve milk, Empire chicken broth, sparkling grape juice, some paper goods, snacks, very few toiletry items (only worth it if good sale or I need a name brand as many of their items don't have generic options), brown rice ramen noodles, yeast, oil, bulk frozen vegetables, I don't know....I don't see milk in my Costco being cheaper than in my regular grocery stores and there are many things I don't buy as they are not priced at a cheaper price point.

Bsimcha

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 8:11 pm
Costco is my main store, I use other stores as fillers for whatever Costco doesn't have or the company/size doesn't work for me.

I don't have time to shop sales and coupons, I know prices are fair and competitive for great products.

I love almost anything Kirkland

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 8:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Just moved to the suburbs so I got a costco membership. I'm really trying to figure out why everyone makes such a big deal about costco. Yeah, they have better prices than others on a few things, but honestly I can get the same stuff on sale at shop rite for basically the same price. Also, some of their stuff might be a good deal but the quantity is just too large for me to realistically use up before it goes bad.
Is there something I'm missing?

Shredded cheese, parchment paper, Kedem grape juice, ground turkey, 9x13 pans.
Other stuff I could get for the same or less on sale.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 8:53 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
Shredded cheese, parchment paper, Kedem grape juice, ground turkey, 9x13 pans.
Other stuff I could get for the same or less on sale.

Kind bars. Granola bars. Fruit by the foot....It’s literally the same price as a small one in the store for a huge box.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 9:12 pm
Great price on-
Organic eggs
Mozzarella cheese
Grape juice
Oil
Almond milk
Empire chicken
Good quality wipes
They also have a good array of organic and gluten free items.
BUT
I realized I have to shop there less often and carefully otherwise I spend more on big packages of things I wasnt planning to buy.

oakandfig19

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 10:17 pm
Costco has plenty of things that are cheaper than other places- tuna, toilet paper, maple syrup, quinoa, foil, nuts, salmon, canned chickpeas, almond milk, and chicken are all cheaper for me at my Costco

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 8:54 am
It's funny, because you really have to compare with prices in your local grocery store. I get canned chickpeas for way less at my local supermarket, same with tuna (Costco only sells the bigger sized cans at least in my store now).

I forgot parchment paper and foil pans, yes, I buy those too. They also have healthier snack options, like fruit leather type things that are well priced and cheaper than the supermarket.

There are also some things that seem to go on sale at times and I stock up on those, but I have storage for it (like Nature Valley granola bars by the case).

Also, Rodelle cocoa -- in a bag vs a hard to use tiny tub from the supermarket of Hershey's or Nestle or whatever. Baking soda also comes in huge bags.

baltomom

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 9:13 am
Lots of things that other people mentioned, plus big boxes of Lactaid! (The Star K says it's kosher)

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 9:44 am
Rice or soy milk, forgot about that.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 11:58 am
singleagain wrote:
You don't have to be a member to get the gas prices.. or I'm guessing the tires.

You need to be a member for tires or any car maintenance. Ive gotten 2 tires there and found they had the best pricing.

I love costco and buy a ton of different types of products there-

Alcohol (you need to be a member for this, only certain states/stores dont require membership)
Flowers
Salmon/fish
Frozen foods
Deli
Cheese
Cakes/bakery items (there are a few locations near me that have hechshers on some items they bake in store)
Gargage bags, paper towels, toilet paper, diapers, wipes, detergents, dish soap
Socks (I love the kirkland no show socks!)
Fruits/veggies
Regular pantry groceries
Gift cards
Jewelry/electronics

They also have good prices at the photo center (got the cheapest passport photos there compared to everywhere near me), good prices on glasses/lenses, good prices at the pet pharmacy, etc. Even the food court, I love getting a free-refill fountain soda to enjoy while shopping for 59 cents!

They also have really great deals on rental cars and GREAT VACATION PACKAGES!

Plus have the best return policy ever, will take back most products (certain things have specific return policies like electronics) no matter what, even years later, used or damaged

You can also use their delivery with Instacart if its available in you area. The prices are a little higher than in store, but no delivery fees over $35 orders, and they can usually deliver within 1-2 hours from when you order it. (its also great to avoid buying unnecessary items, plus you can use any credit card, not only visa) Its a really great service, im so happy Costco started working with them!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics