Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
My challah is unbaked in the middle:(
Previous  1  2

md951

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 7:15 pm
debbiem wrote:
2 tbsp. dry active yeast
1½ cups warm almost hot water
¼ cup honey
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup oil
Pinch of salt
6-8 cups all purpose flour do as little as possible while it's still possible to shape it. If you need to flour your hands to shape it that's fine.
1 whole egg (for egg wash, it's really better than just yolk)
Sesame or poppy seeds
INSTRUCTIONS
In a mixer, combine yeast and warm water.
Let stand for 5 minutes stir it up, then let stand another 5 minutes.
Attach the dough attachment to the mixer.
With the mixer on low, add all ingredients except flour.
When well combined, gradually add flour, one cup at a time until dough forms a ball that is still a little sticky.
Remove dough, knead it for 10 minutes (I never cut it short even if it's perfectly smooth) and add to a greased bowl.
Cover and let stand until dough has doubled in size.
Remove dough from bowl and braid (or shape), as desired.
Place on greased pan.
Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds.
Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes

I started doing it this way and for real my guests are always really impressed with the bread.

sorry, one edit. bake for 20-25 minutes or until light brown. depending on your oven 20 might not be enough. it is in mine but my friend had to do 25 at 400 in her's

asdf1

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 8:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How long do you let it rise?

Depends how warm it is in the house 🙂 Usually around 3 hours or until it almost doubles in size. (I punch down in middle.)

Also make sure the yeast isn't old and its mixed well enough.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 8:43 pm
asdf1 wrote:
Depends how warm it is in the house 🙂 Usually around 3 hours or until it almost doubles in size. (I punch down in middle.)

Also make sure the yeast isn't old and its mixed well enough.

Why do you punch down in the middle?

Iymnok

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 11:49 am
I bake it for 35min at 325F. The lower temperature lets you bake it longer which gets it totally cooked through without drying out at all. I might shorten it 5min for rolls.

Laiya

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 11:54 am
Use a very heavy metal cookie sheet to bake the challah on. I find this helps prevent the bottom from burning, while ensuring the middle is fully baked, for larger challos. Bake at 375 for 30-35 mins. but check to make sure it's done.

Also OP are you familiar with the trick to test if it's fully baked in the middle? Take the challah briefly out of the oven and knock the dough with the back of the second knuckle of your index finger. Listen for a hollow sound. If it doesn't sound hollow it's not fully done. Try knocking a few different places over different loaves and see if you can hear a difference in sound. None should sound hollow. Hth.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 12:12 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
Challos should bake at least an hour on 350.

If I baked my challahs for an hour at 350°, they would come out like charcoal briquettes. Been there done that! Each oven is different. I learned the proper cooking time by trial and error. I bake my challahs for 35 minutes at 350°. After about 20 to 25 minutes of baking, I switch racks and rotate the pans to get uniform browning (I bake 4 at a time)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen