Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Love this article

Ravenclaw

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 9:36 pm
This is a hot topic debated here often, so thought I would share.

https://www.upworthy.com/remin.....cQ3Rc

elisheva25

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 9:43 pm
Good article !!

SimchaSays

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 10:20 pm
Great article! Thanks for sharing it!

acemom

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 10:51 pm
Thanks for sharing!!

Great points!

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 12:07 am
Not so fast. I have a neighbor who runs a charity for single mothers of all denominations. She interviews people before allocating cases of infant formula, diapers and food for their babies. She has seen people drive up in expensive cars to sign up for the benefits, and politely turns them down.

You cannot get an expensive car at a thrift store. Hiding

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 12:14 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
Not so fast. I have a neighbor who runs a charity for single mothers of all denominations. She interviews people before allocating cases of infant formula, diapers and food for their babies. She has seen people drive up in expensive cars to sign up for the benefits, and politely turns them down.

And when you personally know the person playing this game - or when you know the culture of a community who plays this game, you do have quite an insight to how it all works. This article is a good fit for the strangers you meet, but not for those whom you personally know.

Now before you all beat up on me. I grew up in a community with this mindset. I was actually encouraged and given instructions how to manipulate the system. And since it so prevalent in that community, the shame of it has eroded & people openly discuss how to go about it. So please don't tell me it doesn't exist.

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 12:23 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:

That's true but I can think of alot of reasons someone could come in an expensive car and still not have alot of money
-they or their spouse just lost their job
-or had to quit (maybe they were diagnosed with a something serious)
- maybe the car was borrowed
- or bought 2nd hand
-maybe it was inherited from someone
-maybe they won it
-maybe some major unovidable expenses came up ex rehab, sickness, a fire... (and the car was bought before that)

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 1:39 am
Sorry, but there is a difference between being DLZ and having ones head in the sand. It is a nice reminder to not jump to assumptions about a person, but that doesn't mean the system isn't gamed. When you work with a population who is honest with you about how they work the system and get everything for free, all while you are there working, it can make a person a bit cynical.

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 1:48 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:

I drove my Mercedes to pick up food stamps

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 2:18 am
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
I drove my Mercedes to pick up food stamps
And this author had me right up until the end, when she mentions that she has two cars. Im sorry but that is a LUXURY, not a NEED, especially if you are already asking the goverment for help.

Let the tomatoes fly.

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 2:35 am
Depending on where you live and where you work, two cars in a two-person household is actually most prudent.

Scenario 1: Husband works 18-hour shifts at the hospital 2 towns over. Wife works 9-5 a half-hour commute away. Husband's shifts typically end in the middle of the night or the middle of the day. Taxi service is unreliable, and there are no grocery stores in walking distance.

Scenario 2: Husband and wife both work 9-5 jobs just 25 minutes from home - and in opposite directions. Both cars were purchased prior to marriage and are fully paid off. Cost of driving, including taxes, tolls, and gas, is far less than the cost of daily taxis. Bus service in the area is abysmal.

Scenario 3: Husband is in sales and drives hundreds of miles a week, some nights is not even home. He has a very small car to maximize gas mileage. Wife works 9-5 and drops her 4 children off at daycare and school on the way. The family can't even fit in one vehicle, and the increased gas cost of switching to a single larger vehicle far outweigh the cost of the wife using the second, paid-for, midsized car for 35 minutes a day, even if the husband could somehow rearrange his schedule to accommodate school hours.

(We currently don't own any car, despite living in a place with insufficient public transportation, but if we were lucky enough to own two cars I would consider that perfectly reasonable, not a luxury at all. We also lived without a dryer for months, another not-luxury that technically you can live without.)

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 2:42 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
And this author had me right up until the end, when she mentions that she has two cars. Im sorry but that is a LUXURY, not a NEED, especially if you are already asking the goverment for help.

Let the tomatoes fly.

I used to think so too. Dh couldn't go to job interviews while I was at work because there was literally no money for a taxi for him. Then, he finally secured a job during alternate hours but that meant I had to leave work early to drive him there and pick him up again at 12 am when he's done. Then, he took on an additional job during the daytime hours I also worked (think 16 hour days for him and still making pennies at the time) and the taxi there and back cost him the equivalent of 2 hours of hard work. It was so discouraging, especially since the car sat outside my job all day while I worked. We couldn't share it because I traveled almost an hour to get there! I'd wait outside his job at midnight to pick him up and doze in the car because I had to awake at dawn to get to my job early in the morning. Kids would be asleep for and I'd go to bed and wake up again and go out in the dark and cold to pick him up then get back into bed for the remaining 4 hours. We did that for months until I thought I can't go on like this. HKBH saw that sometimes it isn't feasible. DH crashed our car and instead of fixing it we split the money. I told him I was buying myself a small, just-about-functional car and he used the rest to fix only the bare minimum so he can drive it.

I stopped judging then.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 4:55 am
two cars is definitely the preppy family
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics