Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Tiferes siferes tifara sifara baby name
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 4:58 pm
I love the meaning of the word and I believe it's also a name. What's the most common version of it as a girl's name? Are all used? I don't know anyone by the name at all, I just think I heard it in passing.
To add: tiferet, siferet too.

daagahminayin

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 5:32 pm
I’ve only heard Tiferet

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 5:34 pm
daagahminayin wrote:
I’ve only heard Tiferet

Same, and I only know one.

wiki

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 5:35 pm
I've never seen it spelled in any Ashkenazis way, only "Tiferet." It is beautiful however you slice it, but probably will cause lots of confusion if rendered as "Siferes."

Moonlight

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 5:35 pm
Just tiferet

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 5:38 pm
Tiferes or Tiferet.

I think that grammatically even if it is "Besifara" in the middle of a word it is "Tifara" alone, same with "Lesiferes" but "Tiferes" alone.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 5:41 pm
It is ungrammatical to place a saf at the beginning of a word. Do you remember learning about bg'd kf's?
A word could start with a saf only if connected to the previous word, ie. a compound word.

Odelyah

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 7:04 pm
yes I was going to say the same-- Tiferes would be Ashkenazi pronunciation (although I've never met one). Tiferet (or more authentically Tifereth-- but basically no one does this anymore) would be Sepharadi.

fun fact that the correct Ashkenazi pronunciation of "Seresh" in the megillah (as in Bigsan's co-conspirator) is actually Teresh. It never appears that way in the megillah because it's always bigsan v'seresh-- it's never the first letter so it always loses the dagesh. But if you say "Bigsan and Seresh" in English you should actually say "and Teresh". Even if you're Ashkenazi

Ok dikduk lesson over Smile

Odelyah

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 7:06 pm
btw I happen to think the name Tifara is really pretty-- I know of one Tifara

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 7:12 pm
That's my name!
I also know Tifara - like from Adon Olam, same Shoresh. Sort of like Ayelet/Ayala?

Ruchel

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 2:27 am
tiferes I've seen

essie14

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 3:02 am
I know many Tiferet's and 2 Tifara's.

banana123

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 3:56 am
I've only seen Tiferet.

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 6:24 am
I know multiple people named Tiferet.
All great girls. One goes by Tiffy (she is REALLY cute).

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 6:39 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
It is ungrammatical to place a saf at the beginning of a word. Do you remember learning about bg'd kf's?
A word could start with a saf only if connected to the previous word, ie. a compound word.

I don't remember much dikduk at all, no. But as it happens, I've been paying particular attention while davening and saying tehilim and I've noticed many times words, not compounds, beginning with a saf. Straight up starting with a saf. Not to disagree with your point on the dikduk rule, but perhaps there are exceptions, as I've found in the sidur and tehilim? Specifically today's tehilim, perek 89:18. It says, "ki siferes uzumo atah..."

I'm genuinely wondering on the answer now.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 8:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't remember much dikduk at all, no. But as it happens, I've been paying particular attention while davening and saying tehilim and I've noticed many times words, not compounds, beginning with a saf. Straight up starting with a saf. Not to disagree with your point on the dikduk rule, but perhaps there are exceptions, as I've found in the sidur and tehilim? Specifically today's tehilim, perek 89:18. It says, "ki siferes uzumo atah..."

I'm genuinely wondering on the answer now.

If the preceding word ends in א,ה,ו. or י, then a word is usually pronounced as though it doesn't have a dot (dagesh) in the first letter.

The "ahoy" rule makes for a smoother transition between words.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 9:05 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
If the preceding word ends in א,ה,ו. or י, then a word is usually pronounced as though it doesn't have a dot (dagesh) in the first letter.

The "ahoy" rule makes for a smoother transition between words.

Thanks! So if the word is by itself, like a name, it would be a taf, for sure?

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 9:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks! So if the word is by itself, like a name, it would be a taf, for sure?

Yes

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 10:07 am
Odelyah wrote:
yes I was going to say the same-- Tiferes would be Ashkenazi pronunciation (although I've never met one). Tiferet (or more authentically Tifereth-- but basically no one does this anymore) would be Sepharadi.

fun fact that the correct Ashkenazi pronunciation of "Seresh" in the megillah (as in Bigsan's co-conspirator) is actually Teresh. It never appears that way in the megillah because it's always bigsan v'seresh-- it's never the first letter so it always loses the dagesh. But if you say "Bigsan and Seresh" in English you should actually say "and Teresh". Even if you're Ashkenazi

Ok dikduk lesson over Smile

And if it would be written the other way around you'd read it Teresh v'Vigsan because the dagesh would be removed from the beis and make it a veis!

Odelyah

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 10:39 am
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
And if it would be written the other way around you'd read it Teresh v'Vigsan because the dagesh would be removed from the beis and make it a veis!

exactly! and we'd all think his name was vigsan! Smile maybe even some sephardim Smile

(although the more authentic sephardi pronunciation of a beis without a dagesh is a softer B sound, not a v, but that's kind of dying out as well..)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names