Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
S/o did you have a teacher that did something amazing for yo
Previous  1  2

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 9:20 am
thunderstorm wrote:
this should probably be a spinoff but the fact is , that in order for YOU to choose to make something of yourself you need to be able to address the past. You need to be able to feel the pain, live with the pain , not push the pain away. Then accept the pain and once you allowed yourself to truly know the source of your pain only THEN can you move on in a healthy manner. That is why therapist’s have you go back. That is the start and root of healing.

Agreed. But too many times, I find that it's used as an excuse for YEARS, decades, etc., with professional help involved. I'm not saying there's an exact timeline for how long it should take to confront and deal with the pain and begin the healing process (everyone and their circumstances differ), but the focus needs to shift at some point to moving on.

Ok - I'll stop derailing now Smile

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 9:22 am
Coffee, I totally agree with you

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 9:41 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Agreed. But too many times, I find that it's used as an excuse for YEARS, decades, etc., with professional help involved. I'm not saying there's an exact timeline for how long it should take to confront and deal with the pain and begin the healing process (everyone and their circumstances differ), but the focus needs to shift at some point to moving on.

Ok so we agree with each other then 😊

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 9:44 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:

I'm going to start a spin-off, since I want to discuss this topic more in depth. Can you join it there?

mommyhood

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 9:56 am
This is not about me but about my kids teacher. This child is the type that is a good kid and a good student and tends to fall under the teacher's radar because they don't stand out so I rarely speak to the teacher unless I reach out first. I recently got a call from the Morah that my child was acting a bit sad in school one day and they were surprised because that's not typical behavior for this child and they wanted to check in. I was so moved it was the first time I got a phone call like this that was purely out of concern for my child's well being.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 9:58 am
There are extremely hard kids, and not always because they "need more help".

honeymoon

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 10:09 am
A high school teacher who called me aside and asked me why I seem to be down the past few days. I didn't feel comfortable sharing but the fact that she noticed and took the time to ask meant the world to me.

That same teacher taught a subject that I was particularly good at. I loved her classes. She always wrote beautiful, personalized comments on our tests which still warm my heart when I think about it. I kept all of those tests.

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 7:36 am
My Zaide who was a teacher for elementary age boys in a yeshiva.

There was a boy who had failed most of the previous year and if he didn't improve he would have to go down a grade. When it came to the exam he just missed the passing mark. My Zaide raised his mark a few points so that he passed the exam. He then told him that the extra points was for the effort he had put in. He knows he's a smart boy and knows that with a little more effort the next test he will do even better. The belief the teacher had in him raised him and gave him the strength to put in extra effort. The next test he really got a 70. Throughout the year his marks got better till he got 100!

He credits my Zaide for who he is today. He stayed in yeshiva and graduated elementary and then mesivta and bais medrash.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics