Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
It's a lefty!
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 10:18 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Interesting. Reminds me of a famous "maaseh" (not sure if it's true): Father brings his son to a Rov to ask which hand to wear tefillin, because his son is ambidextrous. Rov asks the son, "which hand do you throw a ball with?" The son, being "super frum" replies that he doesn't play ball. So the Rov asks, "Fine, which hand do you use to hit your brother?" LOL LOL LOL

Again, as an OT, just adding that I've become less convinced of true "ambidextrous" presentation... Many lefties I've worked with have more of what I would call "mixed dexterity" - specific activities are restricted to specific hands, rather than equal strength and dexterity in both hands. Also, many of these kids have very poor ability to cross the midline, so whichever hand/side the tool is presented on is the one they'll use...

DD uses one hand to write English and the other to write Hebrew. I don't remember which hand she uses for which language. When she was younger, she used start out writing with one hand and then switch hands as she got to the center of the page and finish writing the line with the other hand.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 10:54 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
DD uses one hand to write English and the other to write Hebrew. I don't remember which hand she uses for which language. When she was younger, she used start out writing with one hand and then switch hands as she got to the center of the page and finish writing the line with the other hand.

That's so cool! I wonder in general how well she does with crossing midline. She sounds very smart!

shanarishona

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 1:09 am
As a lefty I felt that my teachers had a hard time teaching me handwriting. I had a lot of trouble with learning to write neatly. Although that was probably also because I needed ot.

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 2:44 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
By regular, you mean "for righties" Smile

Who are the majority of the population, in case you didn't know. Banging head

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 3:49 am
I write, drink, eat, and use my left hand for most things.
When dancing twirling and stepping forward comes naturally on my left side. (took me a while to realize why it was so hard to turn like everyone else)

But I throw and kick with my right side. Things that needs strength. But I'm awful at aiming then.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 4:53 am
I hated in college how all the desks were rightie desks. Thats how it was. I adapted.
Then miracles of miracles, I found a random lefty desk. And I actually could t get used to it Wink

Rappel

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 4:56 am
miami85 wrote:
It's no longer considered to be as sinister as it used to be.

I see what you did there LOL

Ruchel

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 5:32 am
My husband told me he has 3 or 4 over a 40s.
I googled it. 25% at birth, 10% as adults, population depending, 12.5% men and 10% women

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 7:24 am
I'm a lefty and one of my kids is a lefty. We are very strongly left handed, so pretty much anything where handedness comes into play, we do it lefthanded (mouse is the only exception. Have never used a lefty mouse). When I started guitar lessons as a kid, I was encouraged to just learn righty and I couldn't do it, so got a lefty guitar. Learned to read tablature backwards. Never quite figured out how to crochet. And don't ever ask me to cut anything with scissors or open a can, it just won't go well lol.

My English handwriting is lousy and gets smudged (I never ever use pencils because I hate getting graphite all over my fingers but don't mind ink as much. My Hebrew handwriting is pretty good, since it goes the other way, and I don't smudge it up. My lefty child is not bar mitzvah yet, but I know he's going to need special tefillin because of it. Also, lefty sports equipment is important, especially for boys. They don't necessarily have at school. And ugh, I don't know why, but good lefty baseball mitts are hard to find (but we got one for ds). Overall though, it's only a minor hassle. I think it makes us special. This isn't just a slight minority, we're only 10% of the human population! That's pretty rare! And pretty cool!

My grandmother is a forced righty, because that's what they did in those days. However, they didn't force her to change for sports. So writes and eats righty, but swings a tennis racket or a lefty.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 7:26 am
My mom is a lefty. She paints, draws, calligraphy

singleagain

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 7:39 am
I just remembered my dad told me he suspects his father was a forced righty. Bc he once saw his father sign his name with his right hand. Then with his left and the two signatures were identical.

Also, what's interesting, loveshashem you said you are lefty who kicks with her right... I remember when I took karate I a righty couldn't break the board with my right foot.. But I managed to do it with my left.

amother
White

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 8:03 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Just the opposite! Leftys are known to be smart and very creative.
Most of the presidents and a lot of rabbonim are/were left handed

8 presidents have been left handed. This may be disproportionate, but it's not most.

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 9:34 am
You should be tying his hand down and smacking him every time he tries to use it. Beat it out of him.

Oh wait, never mind, it's not the early 1900s in Eastern Europe. He's fine. Just get him lefty scissors.

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 10:15 am
I have 2 lefties. Really no different. They are more creative than my other kids though.

Some mitzvos are done differently such as tefillin and lulav.

R' Pesach Krohn put out a mini sefer with research he did for his own son who is a lefty and which mitzvos are different.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 1:55 pm
Am I lefty and I’d like to say my creativity comes from being a right-brained person...

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 3:32 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
That's so cool! I wonder in general how well she does with crossing midline. She sounds very smart!

She stopped doing that. She used to do it in 1st 2nd grade when she wrote slowly, one word at a time. Today (she's 12 now) she consistently uses one hand for Hebrew and one hand for English.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics