Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Are parents obligated to send to sleepaway
Previous  1  2  3

Ruchel

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 1:50 am
If there's a planless summer or two, he'll survive. Please don't think your grandparents didn't just "go out" with friends (apart from davening boys which had structure from shul). People, you make your life bitter.

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 4:14 am
We are in the year 2020. Kids now, are not like they used to be...there are struggles, temptations, kids at risk, learning issues , social issues...
For some kids, camp is a life saver. It's their only semblance of normalcy in an otherwise crazy world. 4 weeks of sanity.
I come from the kids who always had the wrong things, wrong clothes, and wrong possessions. I was a neb. I never fit in because my parents copped the attitude of " of course she will understand we can't afford it", and " camp is a luxury" blah, blah blah.
It doesn't work. It hurts to be different. You can try to justify your logic a million times that you are not hurting your kid but you are.
Especially, for boys, the streets are not a good place to be during a 10 week summer. It's not a luxury for them. It's a necessity. While I'm not suggesting you go broke over this, parents should think long and hard about the repercussions of their self righteousness. Maybe they should take on an extra job, for the benefit of their kids. ..
Signed, a child who lived it...and almost didn't make it.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 4:20 am
I don't mezn the streets in a bad way. replace with biking at the park, going to neighbours, to family, shul, etc. I'm sure you didn't make it by not having camp. Can't relate.

"It's their only semblance of normalcy in an otherwise crazy world." this is what to solve

Mommyg8

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 4:46 am
gold21 wrote:
Junior counselor

Where I live this pays so little that I don't know why some boys do it. Definitely not for the money.

keym

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 4:54 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
Where I live this pays so little that I don't know why some boys do it. Definitely not for the money.

I know many boys who do this.
Not at 13. More 15.
But they go back to the big camp that they went to for 5 summers and loved. Yachad, Chevra, Ruach Hatorah.
They get to be part of the team and environment.
They are JC for 1st and 2ng graders, but come along on the older boys late nights and overnights as extra staff. They do the hot dogs, set out the hunt, lug the water, and go to water parks and camping in exchange.
They go with friends.

Mommyg8

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 4:59 am
keym wrote:
I know many boys who do this.
Not at 13. More 15.
But they go back to the big camp that they went to for 5 summers and loved. Yachad, Chevra, Ruach Hatorah.
They get to be part of the team and environment.
They are JC for 1st and 2ng graders, but come along on the older boys late nights and overnights as extra staff. They do the hot dogs, set out the hunt, lug the water, and go to water parks and camping in exchange.
They go with friends.

Ok, so that's why they do it, good to know.

But my point is that they don't really make much money.

keym

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 5:05 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
Ok, so that's why they do it, good to know.

But my point is that they don't really make much money.

True. Though I don't think that really is the point for boys. They make their money other ways. Cleaning cars for pesach, putting up Sukkos, selling arbah minim etc.
Though my son did say that in some of the big camps in Lakewood, there is a unit of post 8th/9th graders that get paid much better than JCs- maintenance. They're the ones on a daily basis who set up the lunchroom, man the popcorn and ice cream, and the gazillion other things that keep the camp moving.

And as an aside, girls don't either get paid in the day camps. All the girls know that for fun go work in a day camp, for money go work in a backyard camp.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 8:37 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
OP, 3K is over the top for a half summer. The yeshivish camps have scholarships where one half can come down after you're approved for lunch program to 1500. If dd is a mothers helper she gets camp for 800 or 900. Lots of kids are mothers helpers just to afford camp. Also, we asked the camp if we can give a deposit before the summer and pay off the remainder when we get our tax return money. It's been working for us.

What about people who don't qualify for the lunch program?

I've heard that in the last few years the cost of camp has gone up thru the roof. And they give less and less breaks.

I will put if off for my DD for as long as possible.

I remember when my big girls went to camp (CBY) they allowed me to pay the cost over the year, split into multiple payments, which helped a bit.

Simple1

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 10:48 am
You have to know your kid. Some of my kids really needed it or would've felt very very deprived. Right now for my kids who are teens, I'm undecided about them. It happens to be their group of friends are not going, so it makes it less of a necessity in that way, but they still would like to go.

And finding a job isn't always so easy. I've found it almost impossible for one dd to get a job because she was quiet and doesn't interview well. My more outgoing daughter had jobs coming to her more easily.

ruchelbuckle

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 11:19 am
I agree with Simple1– some of the solutions offered are not necessarily so realistic. For example, if a girl is not particularly skilled with little kids (and there is nothing wrong with that!), then good luck getting a mother’s helper job. Also, suggesting BRC or a hot lunch program isn’t so helpful—- not every kid can get into BRC and not everyone qualifies for hot lunch/not every camp participates in the program. We make way too much to get any hot lunch discount.

mha3484

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 11:35 am
Personally, I dont really understand sending HS boys to camp for the only month off they have. Maybe because my kids are still young I am just naive. But dont boys want to be home and spend time with their parents, sleep in their own bed? Not go from yeshiva dorm to camp to dorm?

Someone in my city runs a mesivta bein hazmanim camp for high school boys. I think its so smart. It gives the boys structure and fun activities but its a lot cheaper.

I think the reason that boys are willing to work in a day camp making peanuts is because of the feeling of purpose it gives them. Being needed and contributing to a team effort is great for their self esteem. Everyone likes feeling needed and productive.

TwinsMommy

Post Sat, Dec 14 2019, 9:19 pm
I feel my daughter really needs it but she doesn't want it! She goes to public school (autism and adhd and medical issues) and I'd love her to be in a Jewish environment for a few weeks. She's 12--- she literally CRIED to me that she'd be homesick. And anyway, I don't know of a camp that would work with both her medical issues AND her autism. So she goes to a daycamp for 6 weeks of a very long summer run by..... Catholic Charities! It's mostly non verbal teens (she's fully verbal) and she's the highest functioning kid at the place--- she likes it though, so yay.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics