Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Baby girl Yiddish names
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

dankbar

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 4:43 pm
Silky.

just me!!

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 4:47 pm
Malya

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 4:48 pm
I once heard of someone called grine.

chipmunks

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 4:50 pm
dankbar wrote:
Yes טונא. I know one combined with a normal name so it gets swept in together.

I know a madel. Which her mom loves the name to her it's like Model. instead of madel that probably is "girl".

I would have read that vav as an "o", although admittedly my Yiddish is rudimentary. Trust a bunch of Jewish mamas to indirectly make even a baby name thread about food!

dankbar

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 9:33 pm
The vav here would be melupim.

Mechtcha
Machla, why someone would name their daughter, sickness is beyond me.
Menia

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 9:38 pm
Rayla- it is the yiddish form of rachel..

nchr

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 10:15 pm
dankbar wrote:
The vav here would be melupim.

Mechtcha
Machla, why someone would name their daughter, sickness is beyond me.
Menia

Machla is lashon hakodesh for circle. She is one of the daughters of Tzelofchad - Tirtzah, Noa, Choglah, Milkah and Machla.

turca

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 10:21 pm
OBnursemom wrote:
There’s a Yiddish name Tuna? Really?

I’m totally lurking here.
I’m SY. Tune ( pronounced like tooneeh) is a nickname for Fortune/Mazal

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 10:55 pm
Actually the "Tuna" and Machla I know spell their name differently then indicated upthread.

תאנה
מכלה

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 11:01 pm
Some of the names mentioned here are not really Yiddish at all.. they're just adaptations of names from other languages or straight up names from other languages.

turca

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 11:12 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Some of the names mentioned here are not really Yiddish at all.. they're just adaptations of names from other languages or straight up names from other languages.

Isn’t it what an Yiddish name really is? A non-Hebrew name that , due to being used by Jews, became Jewish?
I’m not askenazi, but that’s my understanding.

twogees

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 12:05 am
Basha
Faiga

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 12:43 am
I also cannot understand how someone can name their child machla or another one is Rasha....

Almost everyone I know that gives a yiddish name, they name after someone. Personally, if I was just giving a random name, I'd give one after someone from tanach or after a tzadekes. To each their own though.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 12:44 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Looking for a nice baby girl name, should be Yiddish and not very common. Any suggestions?
Thank you!

By yiddish, you mean Jewish or actual yiddish language? Just want to clarify...

salt

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 1:01 am
nchr wrote:
Here is something unique about Hinda - you can rearrange the letters to spell Hashem's name plus a Hei for Hashem.

How is that? What about the nun and the daled?
There's just heh and yud, but you have that in lots of names.

ETA,
Oh I get it, hashem's name Ado-na-I.
OK fair enough.

trixx

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 1:15 am
dankbar wrote:
My list is not so common so some start bordering on weird but there are nice Yiddish names that are common like Blimy, flower. Goldy- gold. Gitty-good. Mindy. Faigy-bird. Shaindy-pretty, Toby-dovebird, Roizy, Raizy-rose. perry-pearl, Then some Hebrew names that are used in Yiddish speaking circles like Esty, sury, leah'le, ruchy, Rivky, devoiry, chumy from nechama, dassi from hadassa, shevy from batsheva or elisheva. chany, chaya, dini, miriam ( miri) Chevy from yocheved, Malki, bruchy- from bracha,

With a different accent a lot of these become different names. Like Bluma not Blima

dankbar

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 1:38 am
trixx wrote:
With a different accent a lot of these become different names. Like Bluma not Blima

Right I know someone who was called Bluma, she had many hardships & a rebbe told her to change to Blima because Bluma in Hebrew has a bad connotation something like meaning garbage or something like that

morningsickness

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 7:39 am
I knew a Silky. She got Cancer and Rav Chaim Kanievsky had her chance her name. He's against Yiddish names in general.

I also know A Tzeitel. Dunno what is means. Also know a Dreiza..again, have no clue what is means. Know a Tzurtel too..

Reina means princess, maybe in Ladino too? Or is it Regina?

nchr

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 7:45 am
morningsickness wrote:
I knew a Silky. She got Cancer and Rav Chaim Kanievsky had her chance her name. He's against Yiddish names in general.

I also know A Tzeitel. Dunno what is means. Also know a Dreiza..again, have no clue what is means. Know a Tzurtel too..

Reina means princess, maybe in Ladino too? Or is it Regina?

I'm pretty sure the Rav who you mentioned said Yiddish is fine vecause they have a history of a name v modern words like Shira or Tehila which have no mesorah as a name and are just words. He may have had an issue with silky or have wanted to change her mazal, which is separate. I think there is even a video where people ask about Shira and he says it is not a good name and then then list a bunch of names (some in Yiddish) and he calls them good.

I found what I wrote in another thread translating the video. Disclaimer I'm not Yeshivish.. Rav Feitman asked Rav Kanievsky if Yiddish names are all good. And what about Shira and Rina. Rav Kanievsky first responded no difference, but it sounds like he may have been referring to Yiddish names and then says no to Shira and offers Sarah instead of Shira. Then Rav Feitman clarifies by saying only names that have been accepted/used in Klal Yisroel and not a word for a posuk. Rav Kanviesky, still referring to Shira, says it is a non jewish name. Then Rav Feitman asks if it being in a posuk helps (to make it acceptable) and Rav Kanievsky responds that it doesn't help.

On the other hand, men generally don't have Yiddish names unless they also have a Hebrew. So every Hersh is also Tzvi and every Mendel is also Menachem. Woman, however, who used to not need to participate in Jewish life (and therefore did not need a Lashon Hakodesh) name often have just Yiddish names- some of them are names from other languages like Ettel, Basha, Charna etc. While others are Jewishized versions of secular names like Shprintza from Esperanza. Some of them are nicknames for Lashon Hakodesh names like Riva. And still others are just middos or animals and pretty things etc. from the actual Yiddish language like Gittel, Yittel, Hinda, Blima, etc. Some are used to imply life like Alta. Etc. But as much as you want to call them annoying they do have a mesorah as having been used as names and by Jews as names.

dankbar

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 7:48 am
Hesia. Lifsha. Reitzu. Rishy. Tsheitel.

There are some random weird Yiddish names that I know nothing about, because people use as second name & are not called that way, but all the names, I mentioned earlier, I know people with those names & they are called that way or it's combined with other name.
Page 3 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names