Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
P3 age of students?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 11:26 am
What is the age range of students that receive P3 / setss?

what is the minimum and maximum age?

which age gets the most P3 and has the most P3 jobs available?

If I have a choice of getting a degree in preschool through grade 2, OR getting a degree in grades 1 through grade 6, which is mostly likely to get me P3 cases?

Also can I do P3 in both age ranges when my degree is in one of the age ranges?

and which age range is easier to work with?

seeker

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 2:14 pm
P3 is ages 5 and up.
"Easier" is a matter of personal preference.
If you're currently in the process of getting your certification, it's really a cinch to extend to both and you should definitely do so.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 2:22 pm
seeker wrote:
P3 is ages 5 and up.
"Easier" is a matter of personal preference.
If you're currently in the process of getting your certification, it's really a cinch to extend to both and you should definitely do so.

Thanks... I know in the end I could extend to both, but that's a few years away, and I'm trying to determine what to start off with for the first few years...

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 2:41 pm
P3 can be extended to college students if they've had P3 throughout their schooling.

Tzippy323

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 7:25 am
First, P-3 services do not go beyond high school. The law states that they are available until a student graduates from high school, or reaches the age of 21. In other words, if you don’t graduate from high school by the time you are 21, you lose your services.

Once you are in college there are no P-3 services. You can get protection under section 504 of the Americans with Disabilities act. These are modifications and accommodations but not individualized academic intervention services.

A K-2 license is known as early education. You get to teach pre-reading and early reading skills, number sense and early concepts of math.

A 1-6 license gives you a much wider base of material at various grade levels. It does mean, however, that you need to be just as comfortable teaching Pre-algebra skills as you are teaching 1+1.

Although P-3 providers do not usually have goals in the content areas, you often have to teach students in those areas as well. You can use science and history topics in the guise of doing reading comprehension. After all, reading is reading. The source doesn’t really matter.

You are asking the wrong question. The question you need to answer for yourself is what do you enjoy teaching, and do you like working with older students. After you answer those, everything else should fall into place.

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 7:52 am
Tzippy323 wrote:
First, P-3 services do not go beyond high school. The law states that they are available until a student graduates from high school, or reaches the age of 21. In other words, if you don’t graduate from high school by the time you are 21, you lose your services.

Once you are in college there are no P-3 services. You can get protection under section 504 of the Americans with Disabilities act. These are modifications and accommodations but not individualized academic intervention services.

A K-2 license is known as early education. You get to teach pre-reading and early reading skills, number sense and early concepts of math.

A 1-6 license gives you a much wider base of material at various grade levels. It does mean, however, that you need to be just as comfortable teaching Pre-algebra skills as you are teaching 1+1.

Although P-3 providers do not usually have goals in the content areas, you often have to teach students in those areas as well. You can use science and history topics in the guise of doing reading comprehension. After all, reading is reading. The source doesn’t really matter.

You are asking the wrong question. The question you need to answer for yourself is what do you enjoy teaching, and do you like working with older students. After you answer those, everything else should fall into place.

I don't know how it works but my neighbor told me she was able to get tutoring in college straight out of HS because she had continuous P3 services throughout.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 10:52 am
Honestly, if you have a degree in early childhood you can do P3 for older students as well.

cnc

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 11:16 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Honestly, if you have a degree in early childhood you can do P3 for older students as well.

This.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 11:37 am

Thank you.

If a person gets an internship certification or transitional b certification while in college for early childhood, can they do P3 for older students as well?

and what about the other way around?

I'm asking because I'm considering different college programs, and trying to determine what is the best option for me.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 11:51 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you.

If a person gets an internship certification or transitional b certification while in college for early childhood, can they do P3 for older students as well?

and what about the other way around?

I'm asking because I'm considering different college programs, and trying to determine what is the best option for me.

I had my internship in early childhood and did P3 for older students ( 6th grade).

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 12:16 pm
I had my internship in early childhood and did P3 for older students ( 6th grade).

Thank you. Did you do the 6th grade P3 while you were in college, while using the internship certification? Were you able to work for multiple schools/ ages under the internship certificate?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics