Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Neuropsychologist

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 4:43 pm
My 6.5 year old son is in the process of being diagnosed with ASD. (We are hoping to start ABA therapy once we have a diagnosis.) What would the benefits be of having him seen by a neuropsychologist and paying out thousands of dollars for this?

I keep learning new things every day on this journey we recently started. Any help you can give me would be appreciated!

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 7:50 pm
The benefits would be knowing exactly what your son has, his strengths and weaknesses, and that will enable you and your husband to help him as much as you can. It can also rule out other disorders, and sometimes what you think is ASD is something else.

Places like YAI test for autism and have a sliding fee making it pretty affordable.

He's still young, any kind of therapy is most beneficial when the child is young and that can make a world of difference for his future. It's money well spent.

Choose a good place to do a complete evaluation, including IQ tests and everything, it will help him and you so much.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 12:07 pm
Is it possible to get the Board of Ed to pay for this?

mha3484

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 12:24 pm
We did one for our son when he was the same age. He has severe ADHD, borderline ASD and is gifted. The experience was invaluable. We learned what his strengths and weaknesses are, we got pages of recommendations to give to his classroom teachers. I also was able to understand how his intelligence impacts him in a classroom setting. For years I was so focused on his social-emotional needs that I kind of blew off the people who told me how smart he was. It was good for me to understand in concrete terms how his intellect effects his day to day life.

Also, there are huge overlaps between a lot of different conditions. I was happy to get a more concrete idea of what we are dealing with. Therapy is a fortune and there is no worse feeling then paying for useless therapy sessions so for that reason alone it was worth it.

I dont live in NY so I cant answer about the DOE. We did a sliding scale program at a local clinic that specializes in these kinds of kids.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics