Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Babysitter Notice

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 2:02 pm
I am in the process of leaving my job. I might have a week left maybe more. How much in advance do I need to let my babysitter know that I will stop using her (I send my baby to her house)? Is one week too short? I will tell her but I want to know before I do. Its not something I discussed when I started using her.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 2:06 pm
I think you should tell her what your wrote here:

I am in the process of leaving my job, and have at least one week left and will not need your services anymore. Im telling you now even though I don't have a official last day, because I want you to have the opportunity to find another child as replacement. Thanks so much for everything you do, blah blah

It's the mentschlich thing to do.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 2:07 pm
I'm sure this will vary widely by community and so on.

My daycare center requires 30 days of notice. Meaning that parents must pay for 30 days from the day they give notice, regardless of how much care they use. I am not sure how or whether the norms differ for in-home care.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 2:09 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:

My daycare center requires 30 days of notice. Meaning that parents must pay for 30 days from the day they give notice, regardless of how much care they use. I am not sure how or whether the norms differ for in-home care.

Yours sounds offical.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 2:10 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:

1. She's not using a daycare center and 2. There's is no policy as this wasn't discussed before they started, therefore it doesn't apply here.

chipmunks

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 2:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am in the process of leaving my job. I might have a week left maybe more. How much in advance do I need to let my babysitter know that I will stop using her (I send my baby to her house)? Is one week too short? I will tell her but I want to know before I do. Its not something I discussed when I started using her.

As someone who's been the babysitter, she's probably counting on the money even if she's just doing the job because she loves it. I would not have been super comfortable with someone giving me less than a month's notice, but in a pinch two weeks is fair. That's the standard for lots of jobs regardless of whether it's the employer or the employee calling it quits. I would tell her now and arrange something between yourselves.

And it would have made me really sad to not get proper notice about saying goodbye to the little one.

chipmunks

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 2:14 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
1. She's not using a daycare center and 2. There's is no policy as this wasn't discussed before they started, therefore it doesn't apply here.

She's not a daycare but she is a person. The people at the daycare need to know so they can find a replacement. She needs to know for the same reason and also so she can tweak her budget if need be.

ETA: It should have been discussed beforehand, but since it wasn't it needs to be dealt with fairly. If it were the babysitter stopping I hope she'd let OP know a couple of weeks to a month in advance.

Last edited by chipmunks on Mon, Dec 16 2019, 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 2:16 pm
chipmunks wrote:
She's not a daycare but she is a person. The people at the daycare need to know so they can find a replacement. She needs to know for the same reason and also so she can tweak her budget if need be.

She is a highly sought out babysitter. But I understand thats not my cheshbon to make.

chipmunks

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 2:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She is a highly sought out babysitter. But I understand thats not my cheshbon to make.

Right. If you weren't considerate you wouldn't be asking the question! Smile But some people keep their groups small on purpose and even if you're highly sought-out it can be tricky finding a new charge at this time of year when people have already made other arrangements.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 2:20 pm
chipmunks wrote:
of course! This was my second post. Did you read my first?

Quote:

I think you should tell her what your wrote here:

I am in the process of leaving my job, and have at least one week left and will not need your services anymore. Im telling you now even though I don't have a official last day, because I want you to have the opportunity to find another child as replacement. Thanks so much for everything you do, blah blah

It's the mentschlich thing to do.

I think the more time you give the better. & I agree with everything else you wrote.
I was explaining that being that there was so prior agreement, it doesn't have to be like the poster I quoted..

momofone613

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 2:21 pm
As a babysitter, I think as advance as possible is best. I've had people cancel last minute, (told me the day before that I wouldn't be needed for the next month!!!) And it really put me In a tight spot financially. Sad if h don't have an end date, just be honest and let her know the situation so she can prepare

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 2:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

If the babysitting you're talking about is fulltime care, then even a popular babysitter may need some time to fill a spot midyear. Plus, that means that your child is likely a significant chunk of her income (as opposed to a babysitter who watches your kid once a week for 3 hours).

Apart from what you may feel you "owe" her, consider your reputation as a babysitting client in your community, both with her and other babysitters. You may not need services now, but you may eventually. Word travels.

chipmunks

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 2:24 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
I think the more time you give the better. & I agree with everything else you wrote.
I was explaining that being that there was so prior agreement, it doesn't have to be like the poster I quoted..

I did and I even liked it! Sorry if it came off argumentative. I didn't think that poster was saying that's exactly what she should do anyway, since she qualified it that she doesn't know if in-home care is different.

ETA: It didn't include the first part of the post I was quoting where you asked if I read your first post, just to be clear on what I'm answering.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 3:28 pm
In israel, where I live, most babysitters require that you pay until someone fills yours spot.

Was there any sort of agreement or contract before?

Regardless, you should tell her asap

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 3:29 pm
I let her know now when I went to pick up my baby. I asked her how much time she needs and she said none. She's really amazing. Im sad to give her up but I wont be needing her anymore. So thanks all for your input.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette