Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Comparing camps?

Frumwithallergies

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 10:15 pm
Would anyone be able to compare Stone, Sternberg and Dina for me?

DD has friends going to all three this year but I'm not close with the families and I don't find the websites helpful. DD goes to a MO school, we are more rW than most, but she davens from a Petach Eliyahu. Will she feel out of place as a Sephardi? (School is such a mix that she isn't alone).

TIA. (I'm not even sure it will be in our budget; just trying to keep options open).

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 11:09 pm
I went to Sternberg as a kid but I wouldn't send my daughter there. She goes to Dina and is very happy.

I guess I would consider myself RWMO. I went to a BY for elementary school (but not a hardcore Brooklyn one) and to a more MO high school (all girls) and then on to seminary (Michlalah) and then secular college, if that gives you an idea of where I'm coming from.

DD goes to an all girls elementary school that prides itself on middos and both Jewish and secular studies and it's very tzioni. Many of her friends go to Dina or Kaylie. Sternberg is way further to the right these days. I know a few families who send there and their daughters attend BY type schools.

ETA: I have a friend who lives OOT and sends to Stone. They're very happy there but it's far left of the other camps you mentioned, plus it's coed. We were having chats this spring bemoaning all the preparation for camp and I was having trouble finding enough skirts for my daughter that were long enough and my friend was looking for tznius shorts for her daughter, whatever that means.

Frumwithallergies

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 12:03 am
Thanks! This gives me a starting point!

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 12:11 am
Dina fills up super fast. Call to check they even have room for your DD. Often by now some ages are full.

In Dina girls wear skirts to the knee and long sleeves with ankle socks. For the right crowd, it's amazing. Very dedicated staff.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 12:19 am
There is also a difference in price point.

Dina is a federation camp.

Stone, in addition to being coed, is a Bnei Akiva - Zionist camp. I don't know how you feel about that. I for one, am a big drinker of the Kool-Aid. I just haven't made Aliya YET.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 1:15 am
My girls went to Dina, and one worked at Stone. Dina is all girls, Stone is coed.

Dina is a very sweet, aidel kind of place. Definitely RWMO. In terms of davening, when my girls were there, they didn't even have a minyan on shabbos. They don't aim high in any way, but it's a lovely camp and the girls had a great time.

Stone is proudly Zionist, and very professionally run. Kids come from a range of backgrounds. Most come from strongly frum homes but you'll also have public school kids for whom this is their main Jewish education. Everyone is expected at minyan three times a day. (The youngest kids skip Maariv, if I recall.) Davening is nusach Ashkenaz, but I think they are pretty accommodating.

Both camps fill up very early, so this discussion may already be theoretical.

Frumwithallergies

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 6:43 am
This is all so helpful. I haven't gotten to registration, yet, so as Amother Teal said, this may all be theoretical.

One of the reasons I never looked into camps before was because of life-threatening allergies.... sesame (think hummus, sprinkled on challah) and nuts, legumes (some beans, etc).

I didn't see a lot of info on the websites about how each camp deals with allergies, but does anyone have any real-life experience? (no loshon hora, please. PM me if you prefer).

TIA!!

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 6:50 am
Frumwithallergies wrote:
Would anyone be able to compare Stone, Sternberg and Dina for me?

DD has friends going to all three this year but I'm not close with the families and I don't find the websites helpful. DD goes to a MO school, we are more rW than most, but she davens from a Petach Eliyahu. Will she feel out of place as a Sephardi? (School is such a mix that she isn't alone).

TIA. (I'm not even sure it will be in our budget; just trying to keep options open).

(I just typed a long reply and deleted, so will give bullets and feel free to ask questions)

We send to Stone.
Coed, but separate for most activities (not all)
Jewish education is immersive and over the top impressively done (see if you can access the news section of the website to see what they've done past sessions)
Food - I have two kids with allergies and other issues. They have a separate allergy kitchen staff with a nurse coordinator. Both kids ate very well.

saw50st8

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 6:57 am
Frumwithallergies wrote:
This is all so helpful. I haven't gotten to registration, yet, so as Amother Teal said, this may all be theoretical.

One of the reasons I never looked into camps before was because of life-threatening allergies.... sesame (think hummus, sprinkled on challah) and nuts, legumes (some beans, etc).

I didn't see a lot of info on the websites about how each camp deals with allergies, but does anyone have any real-life experience? (no loshon hora, please. PM me if you prefer).

TIA!!

Look into Shoshanim. It's an all girls MO camp that is known to be great with kids with allergies.

My daughter is going to Dina this summer. It's a RWMO camp with a strict dress code (knee length skirts, sleeves to the elbow but no socks). It's the girls equivalent of Dora Golding. Kids have a lot of fun.

Stone is supposed to be awesome. We have friends with kids there. It is coed and more LWMO.

Sternberg is not the mix it used to be. It's definitely more right wing.

What does your daughter really want?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 7:18 am
I can say great things about Shoshanim too.
Many of the girls seem to go fairly alone, as opposed to with a large group of friends, and make their friend's there.

One of my DDs went for 6 summers and loved it. I could not say nicer things about the camp and about Esther who runs it.

Frumwithallergies

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 8:05 am
saw50st8 wrote:
Look into Shoshanim. It's an all girls MO camp that is known to be great with kids with allergies.

My daughter is going to Dina this summer. It's a RWMO camp with a strict dress code (knee length skirts, sleeves to the elbow but no socks). It's the girls equivalent of Dora Golding. Kids have a lot of fun.

Stone is supposed to be awesome. We have friends with kids there. It is coed and more LWMO.

Sternberg is not the mix it used to be. It's definitely more right wing.

What does your daughter really want?

Was away from my desk for a bit.

Someone else just told me about Shoshanim.
This may all be academic, since I'm not sure my daughter will want to go anyway.

As an aside, why to camps fill up so fast?

saw50st8

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 11:48 am
Frumwithallergies wrote:
Was away from my desk for a bit.

Someone else just told me about Shoshanim.
This may all be academic, since I'm not sure my daughter will want to go anyway.

As an aside, why to camps fill up so fast?

There are more kids who want to go then demand.

Once kids have been there, they know if they want to go back so they sign up right away. Certain age groups are also more popular than others. I don't think it's hard to get in if your child is going into 4th grade, but I would think by the time they are going into 7th, there are more kids who are ready to go.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children