Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toy that engages 18 month old
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 10:51 am
My son just doesn’t stay interested in his toys for more than a few seconds. He likes throwing things but not making them. What can I get that he’ll actually enjoy? We’re both so bored and I’m having a really hard time entertaining him.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 10:57 am
My 18 month old loves toys that play music, and the play kitchen.
Also, you can teach him how to play. Build a block tower, and let him knock it down. He should be able to pile blocks too. Putting things in and out of containers. A bath is a great activity. He can color. There was another similar thread recently, people were suggesting household stuff, like pots and pans, and other great suggestions. do a search for it. Keep in mind that nothing lasts long at this age. Good luck!
ETA- books. Mine loves books. He "reads" by himself, and with me

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 11:05 am
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
Also, you can teach him how to play. Build a block tower, and let him knock it down. He should be able to pile blocks too. Putting things in and out of containers. A bath is a great activity. He can color. There was another similar thread recently, people were suggesting household stuff, like pots and pans, and other great suggestions. do a search for it. Keep in mind that nothing lasts long at this age. Good luck!

He has a play kitchen and it was very exciting in the beginning but he barely looks at it now. He has access to pots and it helps for a few but not more...we do all that. It's just so difficult to literally be sitting for 2-3 hours just switching activities every second (never mind that my back is screaming in pain from sitting on the floor). Which books does your son like? I've been buying books, some he loves, some he won't look at.

happinessseeker

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 11:08 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My son just doesn’t stay interested in his toys for more than a few seconds. He likes throwing things but not making them. What can I get that he’ll actually enjoy? We’re both so bored and I’m having a really hard time entertaining him.

Duplo!!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 11:19 am
happinessseeker wrote:
Duplo!!

He has. Even magnatiles, he just throws it or breaks what I make before I am even done.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 11:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Are you me?? I keep saying I'll make this post lol!
Toys keep him occupied for 30 seconds max
He enjoys playing ball but not for long.
He rather climb up a flight of stairs.
If there other children, (like at daycare) or on a playdate, hell play, but when it's just us, the only thing he wants to do is climb the stairs.. I want to play with him!! Just need ideas.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 11:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He has. Even magnatiles, he just throws it or breaks what I make before I am even done.

Me too, me too!!!

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 11:31 am
amother [ Purple ] wrote:

As soon as I put 2 pieces together he grabs it and throws it across the room lol.
Baths are always an activity, but that's at night.. not a daytime activity..
Hr loves music bit the toys that make noise don't keep his attention for more than a minute lol

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 11:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

My daughter was doing this and I told her let’s make it go “up up” she started picking out all the square magnatiles and stacking them while she says “up up”. She plays better if I’m willing to sit on the floor and participate. She tells me “come come nicely”, and shows me the floor that I should sit nicely. When I do that she plays the whole time. I don’t even need to play along. She just wants me sitting with her on the floor.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 11:38 am
thunderstorm wrote:
My daughter was doing this and I told her let’s make it go “up up” she started picking out all the square magnatiles and stacking them while she says “up up”. She plays better if I’m willing to sit on the floor and participate. She tells me “come come nicely”, and shows me the floor that I should sit nicely. When I do that she plays the whole time. I don’t even need to play along. She just wants me sitting with her on the floor.

I’ve been following different things you wrote about you dd because my son is close in age and so I relate but your daughter is definitely very advanced for her age. I can’t imagine my son playing on his own with building toys.

OBnursemom

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 11:50 am
My 19 month old only likes things that make noise. Sadly for me.

happinessseeker

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 11:50 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Aw. That’s him learning tho. As frustrating as it is. Isn’t it easier when it’s summer and they can play outside?!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 11:51 am
Boys like to move....go...run...throw...climb...

Take him out.

Pile couch cushions on floor.

Hang a funky swing, that can even add to your decor.

Ride on toys.

Music with dancing scarves, at least they float pretty when they are thrown.

Foam balls

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 11:51 am
happinessseeker wrote:
Aw. That’s him learning tho. As frustrating as it is. Isn’t it easier when it’s summer and they can play outside?!

I miss the summer so much. Was so much easier and nicer.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 11:52 am
*Magnet cubes
*Interlocking tubes
Amazon Link
*Mr. Potato Head

nicole81

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 11:53 am
Kids just have a short attention span at that age... My youngest is 20 months and he loves to walk around the house throwing things. And also putting everything into the garbage.

But some things that pique his interest longer than others are our cleaning set (he likes to sweep and dust), books with babies in them, and a Sesame Street "piano" with 5 keys and pop up characters. He actually really loves to play our real piano; he likes any toy where he can make the music himself. He makes a game out of emptying out a kitchen drawer and then putting everything back in. And he helps me clean up for long periods of time while I send him back and forth to the garbage. Something else he still likes is a ride-on toy.

Busy@mom

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 11:54 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Same problem. I'm gonna follow this thread.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 11:57 am
My baby is 16 months old and loves widget blocks. Teaches stacking and sizes.
But doesn’t keep attention for that long.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 12:17 pm
It's the age and stage. My baby does like toys more than my first kid did but nothing keeps him for more than 5 minutes.

He enjoys any musical toy. Stacking magnatiles. Bugatrike in the house is a big one. And generally will just make a mess out of everything. I've come to accept it.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 12:52 pm
nicole81 wrote:
Kids just have a short attention span at that age... My youngest is 20 months and he loves to walk around the house throwing things. And also putting everything into the garbage.

But some things that pique his interest longer than others are our cleaning set (he likes to sweep and dust), books with babies in them, and a Sesame Street "piano" with 5 keys and pop up characters. He actually really loves to play our real piano; he likes any toy where he can make the music himself. He makes a game out of emptying out a kitchen drawer and then putting everything back in. And he helps me clean up for long periods of time while I send him back and forth to the garbage. Something else he still likes is a ride-on toy.

Oh yes! The garbage and the toilet! I can so relate... bh bh
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics